Jambos, Fred

CB

5 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Jamie MacDonald produced a dramatic late penalty save to ensure Killie returned from Tynecastle with a hard-earned point.

The Killie shot stopper was forced into action to deny Kyle Lafferty in the final minute after the Northern Irishman had been fouled in the box.

Eamonn Brophy gave Killie the lead after just two minutes, latching onto a fine long pass before beating Christophe Berra and nutmegging Jon McLaughlin, who had a fine night for the hosts.

Killie settled into the match well in tough conditions with a heavy pitch making good football difficult on a cold winter night in the capital.

Just as the visitors had settled the home side responded with a series of errors and slips allowing former Killie ace Steven Naismith to head home his first Hearts goal.

Craig Levein’s men were on the up and it took a fantastic goalline clearance from Greg Taylor to keep Killie level at the break.

The conditions began to take their toll with both Gordon Greer and goalscorer Brophy forced off with minor injuries ahead of Saturday’s cup clash with Aberdeen.

Stuart Findlay and Lee Erwin came on and both players contributed to a controlled Killie display in the second period.
McLaughlin was called into action to deny Erwin as well as a fine late header from Jordan Jones.

As the match moved into the final stages and the fine Killie support must have feared the worst.

First Jones was denied a winner by another excellent McLaughlin save. And at the other end Mulumbu put his hands on Lafferty’s shoulder and a penalty was awarded.

Just as he had at Ibrox earlier this term, MacDonald stood tall and guessed the right way to stop the spot kick.

And Killie then held on to maintain their recent momentum and head to pittodrie on Saturday with confidence.

Kilmarnock: MacDonald; O'Donnell, Broadfoot, Greer (Findlay), Taylor; Power, Mulumbu, Tshibola (Wilson); Jones, McKenzie, Brophy (Erwin)

Att: 15,862 

Was the late header not also by Erwin? I thought he looked really good when he came on. There's definitely a player there. 

7 hours ago, fraz65 said:

don't agree that Mulumbu was way below par. I thought he was excellent.

Surprised by this, but heard hearts fans saying the same. Maybe my standards for him are too high. He gave the ball away loads last night which he almost never does. And at least two passes I can remember straight out the pitch. Very lucky not to have given away a goal with the soft touch which was pounced on by Hearts and then daft at the penalty. Everyone has bad games though, he'll shake it off. 

Thought Mulumbu was decent but again not his best performance but the whole team was largely sloppy in possession for large portions of the match.

Power had a very uncharacteristicly poor first half and was slipping all over the shop, although he gave a much better account of himself in the second.

Jones was largely ineffective but i would credit that to Hearts doubling up on him and forcing him out wide at every opportunity. 

Erwin impressed me when he came on and ran the channels very well, clearly a very talented footballer as well. Feel as though he should have done better with the header however, should have headed it down the ground, but that’s easy for me to say. 

Greg Taylor our best player again and was magnificent all evening.

All in all a good point all things considered. We had them on the ropes the first 15 and although it was a short period i thought that was some of the best football we have played all season. Shame it couldn’t last longer. Can’t wait for Saturday. 

7 hours ago, Killieboykfc said:

Was there f**k 15k people there!!!!

It was announced on radio or the TV feed I was watching that it was around the 8,500 mark. It looked empty all over except in the corner where all the brave souls from Ayrshire were. Great away support by the lads and great noise levels.

8 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Jamie's Penalty save........

Incredible that folk think a player at the half way line with another 50 yards to run is classed as a red card. Then again I hear folk shouting for red cards as the player is "the last man" so nothing surprises me when folk don't know the basic rules of football. Ambrose on Saturday definitely "denied a clear goal scoring opportunity" (the correct rule) and should have been sent off.

I must have been at a different game last night from everyone else. In my opinion Killie played really well in difficult conditions and were the better and fitter team in the last 15mins. The Killie juggernaut just keeps on rolling and what a time to be a supporter of this great club.

9 hours ago, Dillinger said:

For me, one of the most disappointing performances of the Clarke era. The early goal probably wasn't part of the game plan, but regardless, from there it looked to be the plan to sit deep and let them have the ball right in to the middle third. 

When we had the ball, we didn't look particularly interested in doing much with it - none of the lovely, quick passing football we've come to expect. Don't know if that was the conditions or a deliberate tactic - the pitch certainly seemed slippy, as evidenced by two or three slips in the lead up to the equaliser. 

Thought we were quite niggly too - Hearts fans seemed quite aggrieved. No idea why Mulumbu has committed that foul on the wrong side of Lafferty, but we have Macdonald to thank for rescuing the point. 

It probably says a lot about how much expectations have risen that we're going up against a good Hearts side away from home and coming away disappointed we didn't give a better account of ourselves. 

A point is probably not a bad result from a none-too-easy on the eye performance. 

Very harsh IMO.

As for being niggly - good! Hearts fans are the biggest c**ts outside Glasgow.

2 minutes ago, Jimpy said:

I must have been at a different game last night from everyone else. In my opinion Killie played really well in difficult conditions and were the better and fitter team in the last 15mins. The Killie juggernaut just keeps on rolling and what a time to be a supporter of this great club.

Toward the end of the game after Erwin came on we did pretty well, could have had a few. 

2 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Incredible that folk think a player at the half way line with another 50 yards to run is classed as a red card. Then again I hear folk shouting for red cards as the player is "the last man" so nothing surprises me when folk don't know the basic rules of football. Ambrose on Saturday definitely "denied a clear goal scoring opportunity" (the correct rule) and should have been sent off.

It was a yellow last night because the guy had 50 yards to run, it was not a "clear goal scoring opportunity". That said it was a very cynical professional foul. The guy's reaction, which is understandable in the heat of the moment, is what got him booked.

I agree Jones did have a clear scoring opportunity denied on Saturday but again, because he could not walk the ball into the net unopposed the ref gave a yellow. IMO that was in the ref's mind when he awarded the penalty right after it.

5 minutes ago, Jimpy said:

We were finishing the stronger but got caught badly a couple of times on the counter and ended up lucky to get away with a point. Could have been a very different game if we had got a 2nd early on but we didn't.

Still a lot more fun supporting Killie this year than for quite a while.

1 minute ago, gdevoy said:

It was a yellow last night because the guy had 50 yards to run, it was not a "clear goal scoring opportunity". That said it was a very cynical professional foul. The guy's reaction, which is understandable in the heat of the moment, is what got him booked.

I agree Jones did have a clear scoring opportunity denied on Saturday but again, because he could not walk the ball into the net unopposed the ref gave a yellow. IMO that was in the ref's mind when he awarded the penalty right after it.

Did you think it was a penalty, I'm undecided? When Lafferty picked the ball up and was going into the box I turned to my son and said he will throw himself down here at any contact. I thought it was incredibly soft. More a case of him in the process of diving and being slightly pushed.

10 minutes ago, Jimpy said:

Agree with this.

Very difficult conditions, at an already difficult place to go, against a difficult side, and I didn't see a single failure across the team. Don't get me wrong, I saw plenty of individual mistakes but that happens in those conditions (and there were plenty of mistakes from Hearts too).

Despite making mistakes all our players stuck with the task and brought home a very good point - and I also thought the manager picked a decent side for the evening.

35 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Absolutely spot on. As you say O'Donnell's foul, although a clear yellow, didn't deny a goalscoring opportunity, while Ambrose's on Saturday did.

As others have also said brilliant first 15 mins when we were in total control,it then looked for a while after they scored that we had settled for the point, sitting in, and closing their spaces, (which I thought we did really well throughout). Jamie had next to no direct saves to makes aside from the pen, and we were rarely under pressure inside our own penalty area. Defensively yet another excellent performance overall imo. Broadfoot really good again (albeit he was lucky to get away with holding onto Berra in the box 1st half), Taylor outstanding, SOD brilliant 2nd half. 

Had they scored what looked a soft pen it would have been a bit unjust, as a draw was a fair result. 

Hope everyone got back okay.

Edited by Jedi2

39 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Great save from Jamie but check out how many players from both teams in the penalty box before he takes the kick could easily have been a retake but we deserved the point!

10 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

Agree with this.

Very difficult conditions, at an already difficult place to go, against a difficult side, and I didn't see a single failure across the team. Don't get me wrong, I saw plenty of individual mistakes but that happens in those conditions (and there were plenty of mistakes from Hearts too).

Despite making mistakes all our players stuck with the task and brought home a very good point - and I also thought the manager picked a decent side for the evening.

Agreed. I'd have taken a point before the game easily.

Keeps the run going.

1 hour ago, Bullitt said:

Ive had stand up arguments with folk at work about the rule being a clear goalscoring opportunity. You could be the last man at the corner flag for f**k sake. The guy had a whole half to cover with guys tracking back. Good yellow to take. Also their guy got booked for going tonto about it. The was no malice he was just pulled down. The Ambrose one I agree with. If the tackle dosent happen the next immediate thing is a shot on goal from 18 yards or less out. 

4 minutes ago, cammy_boy said:

Ive had stand up arguments with folk at work about the rule being a clear goalscoring opportunity.

"So welcome aboard Janice, I'm sure you'll be a great addition to the team here.  Couple of things in addition to the welcome pack, we do a fire drill on a Thursday at 10am, and for f**ks sake whatever you do don't mention anything to Cammy about the last man rule..."