Youssouf Mulumbu

Stefanus

Deep condolences to you both Stefanus and Shug, and thanks for sharing the story, which was so touching. 

I think theres something magical about the generational love and bonds that football brings, even in the bad times! I'm gutted I dont get to go with my dad anymore due to geography, but I'll always cherish all those years we spent travelling the length of the country together on the good ship killie. On the occasion we go together now, theres this unspoken thing we've got about being happy, at home if you like. it just feels right.

My dad now takes his grandson, my nephew, and it continues....

I'm really sorry for you guys, but hope some of those cherished memories that you shared with your Dads can give you wee bits of comfort in the coming weeks, months and years. 

Killie eh? For ever and ever. 

My condolences to you and your family, Stefanus. A wonderful but sad post.

My Dad died nearly 15 years ago, and the good times (and let's be honest, bloody awful times!) we shared watching Killie are now a comforting memory. I can only imagine what he'd think of the likes of Eremenko and Mulumbu.

I think most on here will probably have been introduced to Killie by their dads, and your news has struck a chord lot of us. Following Killie was one of the special connections I had with my Dad. 

I've now got two daughters who he never met, but they know their Grampa supported Killie. In time they'll come to the games and I'll tell them all the stories my dad told me, and I'll add my own. And in that sense, although he's gone, he won't be forgotten.

9 hours ago, Shug2930 said:

Brilliant post Stefanus. My own Dads funeral, also a big Killie fan, was on Tuesday so that added more poignance for me.

My condolences for your sad loss. RIP

Thank you, Shug, for your kind words. That you took the time to do so whilst still grieving yourself demonstrates a real generosity of spirit.

My condolences to you too. 

Youssouf retweeted it on twitter . Good for people getting it to him . If it doesn’t spur on the team for today’s game nothing will . Posts like this show how much football and Kilmarnock F.C. is a part of our lives and time to bond with friends and ofcourse family . Important to cherish the good times and right now we are going forward together again . Hoping for a win today . 

Forever and Ever 

14 hours ago, killiebythesea said:

Stefanus,  my thoughts are with you at this sad time, I read your post with tears in my eyes.  My dad, a life long Killie fan passed away last April.  

He was at Tynecastle in 65 and the Eintracht game and took me to my first game in the mid-seventies. Unfortunately that began my love affair with a club that apart from the odd season of relative success (one or two promotions and some good cup results), that was in a slow decline.

It wasn't easy being a Killie fan, especially when going to school in Prestwick and being one of about 6 guys that weren't Old Firm or Ayr fan's (scary to remember that they were seen as a better club than us at the time). But going to the games with my dad was magical, we went home and away, no matter the weather or how bad we were.

I remember long journeys home in the car dissecting everything that happened during the game, the excitement of seeing a new signing, only to more often than not realise he wasn't the next Frank Beattie or Tommy McLean (quite often more like Frank Spencer and Tommy Cooper!).

We did that for well over 40  years.  

As a boy growing up following Killie and hearing my dad talk about the glory days I was always hoping to see us win something, the odd Ayrshire cup was nice but wasn't a "National Trophy" and slowly as time went on the expectation gradually faded and it became a bit of a joke between us that at least one of us had seen Killie win something.

Then came Ibrox 1997, unlike me my dad wasn't an emotional man, but standing there at the end of the game watching him with tears in his eyes as " paper rose's" was belted out by 26,000 jubilant Killie fans is a moment I will cherish for the rest of my life, he looked over at one point and just gave me a wee nod, it was his way of saying, this is why we spent all these years putting up with the misery!.

My dad wasn't fit enough to get to the games for the last 5 or 6 years, but we still spent hours talking about the matches and in a sad way I think he was glad not to be there watching our slow decline again.

I still miss him so much and after every game I still catch myself thinking about telling him about what happened during the game.  He never got to see the turn around in our wonderful club, so from that point of view I'm glad you got to share that with your dad Stefanus.

Although I'm pretty sure my dad Joe is busy having a word with someone up there saying " that boy MULUMBU is a smashing player, but he's no ERIC MURRAY!"

Thanks Stefanus, reading your post and writing this reply just made me feel a lot closer to my dad again.  Cheers

Just back from Aberdeen. Read this. Absolute Quality. KTID

Edited by Shug2930