Nicholas on McTominay

Bobby14

Does seem a strange decision from an English boy who may very well turn out to be good enough to play for England. I doubt it was money related as Nicholas had said. More likely an influential father. 

im glad he chose Scotland but I was surprised at his decision. 

but Nicholas is being a twat here.

Accent doesn't make you Scottish.

I think having a Scottish parent is fine. Scottish grandparent is stretching it a bit especially if (as has happened in the past) players seem unaware of the fact until someone from the SFA turns up to tell them.

I still think players should have to declare their international availability at an earlier age (eg 18) even if they don't decide at that age. For example, declare they would be eligible to play for Scotland or England.

Same attitude as Souness had when he was talking about our game dying without a strong Rangers. These 2 know nothing about Scottish football any more and are so ingrained in the "best league in the world" that do not care about us.

I don't care where the players are born, as long as they give 100% when playing in blue

Both my boys born in England and have an English mum and Geordie accents but are Scottish through and through. Noone who saw them dancing round the living room when Griffith's free kicks went in would have any doubt! The older one is involved in representative rugby at the minute, and the first thing he asked was whether it committed him to England because he'd pass if it did Each situation is different, (I was born in Scotland with an English dad but would never have thought of myself as English)but I've no trouble believing Scotland is where his heart is without him having the accent!

11 hours ago, Fudger said:

Does seem a strange decision from an English boy who may very well turn out to be good enough to play for England. I doubt it was money related as Nicholas had said. More likely an influential father. 

im glad he chose Scotland but I was surprised at his decision. 

English born but his dad (not sure about his mum) is born and bred up here as are his extended family.

I've plenty of mates who've moved down south for work and have kids and I could never imagine any of them ever playing for England. Their dad's would be gutted.

Not any different to Andy Goram, Richard Gough or Stuart McCall.

On 3/6/2018 at 10:19 AM, Jonboy said:

The older one is involved in representative rugby at the minute, and the first thing he asked was whether it committed him to England because he'd pass if it did 

What level is he playing at? I can pass his details to the appropriate person at the SRU if you/he wants.

14 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Thanks, assuming its Rob Brierley and the Scottish Exiles he knows (of) him. Too young to be involved this season but hopefully next. He's currently in Newcastle Falcons junior Academy.

Good stuff. Happy to help if needed. good luck !