Record Store Day April 21st 2018

harley

Band who became The Stone Roses get Record Store Day release

The Stone Roses in 1989 Image caption John Squire (left) and Ian Brown (right) both played with The Waterfront - but only Squire appears on the demo

Before The Stone Roses came The Waterfront - the band where John Squire developed a guitar sound that would define a generation of indie bands.

They only existed for a year, but their two-track demo cassette has become a touchstone for Roses fans.

Now, 35 years after it was recorded, the demo is getting an official release for Record Store Day.

It will be available on 12-inch vinyl, with proceeds going to The Christie, the largest cancer centre in Europe.

The Waterfront were formed in late 1982 by future Stone Roses stars Andy Couzens, Squire and Mani, alongside David "Kaiser" Carty (vocals) and Chris Goodwin (bass).

18 hours ago, Scooter said:

David Bowie, Prince and Courtney Barnett among Record Store Day exclusive releases

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/mar/06/record-store-day-exclusive-releases-david-bowie-prince-courtney-barnett

Piper At The Gate Of Dawn "Mono", Tom Waits, Brawler's Bawler's & Bastard's (3 Double Coloured vinyl). Led Zeppelin - Rock N Roll 7" & most importantly, to me anyway, Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy (Primordial Mix) 1st time on vinyl.

9 hours ago, kilm53 said:

Rory Gallagher, Led Zeppelin,Jeff Buckley  + Neil Young caught my eye..but some good Vinyl on the list.. :18:

I thought the Neil young release was going to be one of those lo-fi radio broadcasts bu just had a look at his site & it's an official archives release. Yes!

[IMG] 

I bought the original Sin-e Jeff Buckley single vinyl EP in 94. It will be interesting to see what the 3 additional Lps are like. Just checked discogs & that original EP last sold for £72. The 4 disc set is ltd to 2500. The Rory Live album has a cracking cover. I may buy it & frame the cover. Would be a great poster.

28828742_10156454900291807_4972942325604563502_o.jpg?oh=1a9ff9e82528cc6c1217af28a698c02a&oe=5B03918C

3 hours ago, harley said:

I thought the Neil young release was going to be one of those lo-fi radio broadcasts bu just had a look at his site & it's an official archives release. Yes!

[IMG] 

The original Tonight's The Night gigs. Excellent! :)

Edited by Fankle

1 hour ago, kilm53 said:

Put them all on Big Sparra Vinyls list to get... he puts the list and prices up 2 days before..Don't you sneak down there before me on the 21st :17:

He gave me a printed list today. I can mark the albums that I want & he will put his orders in. Unfortunately he doesn't know how many or what records he is going to get. Some like the Neil Young & Pink Floyd albums won't be limited & will be available well after RSD. RSD is actually a bit of a sham for regular buyers of vinyl like us.

• harley changed the title to Record Store Day April 21st 2018
  • 1 month later...

Went into Big Sparra about 10:00am Ian told me there were punters outside between 4 & 5 this morning. Those days are past for me. I still managed to pick up the 3 Tom Waits doubles, Van Morrison - Alternative Moondance & Zappa - Lumpy Gravy (Primordal).There were still quite a few of the Bowie discs left. Might pick them up Monday if still there. Not too worried about not getting the Neil Young - Roxy album as it is having a general release albeit without the print.

I would have really liked the 4 Sigur Ros discs but they were very limited to only 500 each. I don't think Big Sparra got any in. I was also looking for the Open Mind LP with the bonus 7". None in the shop but I bagged one on ebay for the same price they were selling in the shops.

PS. Got also the Led Zepelin 7" put bye for me but I can't pick it up until Monday

Edited by harley

2 hours ago, kilm53 said:

He's hopefully putting up a list of what's left tomorrow..saw the Neil Young Roxy Album is being released this week but gig it anyway..was hoping for Rory Gallagher but all had gone st Love Music when I got there on my dinner break at 2pm..... 

Rory's a must for me as well. I know they are only supposed to start selling online a week after RSD but I would check from Monday. How much was the NY Roxy album. I was just going to pick it up when the guy in front got the last copy before me.   

1 hour ago, kilm53 said:

Rory Gallagher French Connection on Amazon by a private seller.. only 7 in stock.. £52.32p.. cost yesterday at RSD £24.99p....:7:

I will wait until monday & check online. If none available the honest indie stores will have their left over stock online next saturday.

Juno Records will alert me when it is available.

Rory GALLAGHER  The French Connection Coming soon £27.25

Edited by harley

I wouldn't buy off the Dodgy punters on Amazon who flout there latest buys with price hikes to double what they were going for..don't worry..I'll keep hunting and if I don't find what I was after it doesn't matter too much..I can live with it... but I wont pay extortionate prices..:2:

Went down to Big Sparra at half 7 for 8 o'clock opening to get a copy of the Madness album. 30-odd folk in front of me and when I eventually got in the shop it had sold out. Not wanting to pay more than double from the eBay hawks, drove to Feel The Groove, Paisley on a treasure hunt. Queued round the block but... got to the counter and picked up the last one! :D

tbh, I'm with Danny Baker on this... RSD is supposed to encourage you to visit your local store but limited editions and lack of stock will make some less inclined to go back if they can't get what they want. 

Ian at Big Sparra hates the RSD fiasco now. He didn't order a quarter of what he usually buys. Whole thing is a scam now & just gives the ebay scammers more stock. Please release the records through the year & in much less limited numbers. Probably about 7 or 8 records that I missed out on & I hope they get more general releases later. I want the music on the disc not because it is limited to 500 on coloured vinyl. I can't see me ever picking up the Sigur Ros releases as they are already so damned expensive.   

Danny Baker is correct

My 1st RSD and probably my last.. I was at work which didnt gave help but there was a 300metre + queue at 0930 when I went to Love Music .. went back at 2pm and got in the shop..got 2 Records out of a possible 5.. looked online and 2 of the other 3 I was interested were on amazon at over double the price...I agree with you and Danny Baker..bring out the music throughout the year ...

Agree with the anti-rsd sentiment. Great to support record shops and try and avoid always going down the discogs route (brilliant though it is) but the folk behind record store day don't support small independent shops including not supplying those who do not order enough during the year.  There is reason why it is large stores such as Sister Ray in London are the cheer leaders for this.