Short Stories

DuncanEwart

I'm reading a collection of Alice Munro short stories at the moment. To my shame, this is the first work of hers I have ever read but it won't be the last. She is widely acknowledged as a master short story writer and I can see why. Reading her work has made me think about the other short story writers whose work I've read over the years- writers such as Raymond Carver, Eudora Welty, William Faulkner, James Joyce and Katherine Mansfield, all of whom excel in this art form. If I was to pick out only one story as my favourite it would have to be "The Doll's House" by Katherine Mansfield, a work I first read as an undergraduate over thirty years ago and that has stuck in my mind ever since and that always has the same affect upon me regardless of how many times I have read it- it reduces me to tears. It has my two favourite child characters in literature, "the two little Kelveys", and although these kids only appear towards the end of the story it is their introduction that breaks my heart.