Have we got the wrong attitude?

gdevoy

47 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

In relation to people obviously topped by the Ruskies.

In Russia the attitude seems to be they were traitors, what did they expect. Russians seem to have no moral problem with murdering people in forgiven countries.

Growing up in the 70s as kids we were always told Russia wanted to take over the world, in the old  USSR they were led to believe America wanted to take over the world then Donald Trump entered the scene

Been there a couple of times on business. It is the definition of an enigma . Twice the size of the USA with a small and declining population. An economy that is smaller than the pre Brexit UK. Massive corruption , which probably explains the rubbish economy. Personally I'd be more concerned by the Chinese , but I'm old enough not to be actually concerned at all. 

3 hours ago, diamond_geezer said:

Been there a couple of times on business. It is the definition of an enigma . Twice the size of the USA with a small and declining population. An economy that is smaller than the pre Brexit UK. Massive corruption , which probably explains the rubbish economy. Personally I'd be more concerned by the Chinese , but I'm old enough not to be actually concerned at all. 

It has a huge land area but most of it is uninhabitable. Seems to suffer a lot of corruption which is usually related top poverty but Russia is a comparatively wealthy country. 

5 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

It has a huge land area but most of it is uninhabitable. Seems to suffer a lot of corruption which is usually related top poverty but Russia is a comparatively wealthy country. 

It's also a European country.  A fact forgotten since WW2 and the advent of the EU and rise of US dominance.  Like the rest of Europe, Russia has f. all interest in war in Europe.  Stuff in the former USSR being the obvious imperial exception. 

I'd be much more concerned about exponential Asian population growth than Russia in the greater scheme of things.

Been to St Petersburg and Moscow. Moscow in particular fascinating for a person of my vintage who never imagined they'd stand in Red Square. We stayed in a southern suburb and we had a KFC in a shopping precinct one tea time with loads of poor hard looking people around. Felt just like home.

39 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Been to St Petersburg and Moscow.

We visited St Petersburg in 2013. The tour guide said there was a bit of a popular protest against the local authority bringing in charges for parking in the city centre. Basically in 2013 the idea of charging for parking was completely new.

9 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Been to St Petersburg and Moscow. Moscow in particular fascinating for a person of my vintage who never imagined they'd stand in Red Square. We stayed in a southern suburb and we had a KFC in a shopping precinct one tea time with loads of poor hard looking people around. Felt just like home.

Travel and KFC broadens the mind. Aye, but what about the crowds in Red Square ? Were they less than you would expect with an enigmatic Putin as boss ?