Should the Trust support calls for an EGM?

Bomber

Should the Trust support calls for an EGM?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Trust support calls for an EGM?

• Yes
    • No

The answer to this question is not as simple as you might think I'm afraid.

The Trust has entered into Heads of Terms with the football club which, you will appreciate, has a number of clauses. These in themselves do not tie the hands of the Trust but do, nevertheless, mean that, after 18 months of hard work, we are now pushing forward with the club to achieve the goal of a full seat on the board. 

I have little doubt that the Trust backing this EGM would get it over the line, but the organisers of this motion need to sit down with the Trust board and to explain the benefits to the Trust, given the position we are in at the moment, of this and, in turn, the Trust can fully explain why the answer to this question is complicated.

I personally have spoken with one of the organisers by phone in the last few days and, he tells me, he fully understands the position here.

2 minutes ago, plunkit said:

The answer to this question is not as simple as you might think I'm afraid.

The Trust has entered into Heads of Terms with the football club which, you will appreciate, has a number of clauses. These in themselves do not tie the hands of the Trust but do, nevertheless, mean that, after 18 months of hard work, we are now pushing forward with the club to achieve the goal of a full seat on the board. 

I have little doubt that the Trust backing this EGM would get it over the line, but the organisers of this motion need to sit down with the Trust board and to explain the benefits to the Trust, given the position we are in at the moment, of this and, in turn, the Trust can fully explain why the answer to this question is complicated.

I personally have spoken with one of the organisers by phone in the last few days and, he tells me, he fully understands the position here.

Yes I fully understand now,we attack from the flanks?

I think that if push came to shove the Trust members would vote to call an EGM, we know it, they know it. Logistically though it would be a bit of a stretch as this thing needs to happen sooner rather than later and if the Trust's shares are over and above what is required to call the EGM then there is little point in wasting energy on it.

I don't think its an either/or situation because without a doubt it would be far easier to conclude negotiations if one of the major sticking points to the deal was removed, but there is no point in jeopardising how far we've got with the Trust in Killie initiative if its simply not needed. This is the advice we have been given by people who deal with these kind of situations all the time and it's probably not wise to ignore the words of those who are more clued up on these things than the majority of us (me certainly) are.

I read a post elsewhere about the Trust putting money into the club negating any action by the fans at this point, I'd just like to be clear that this is not the case and that the Trust will not be putting any money into the club until such times as it has been deemed safe/appropriate to do so by independent financial advisors. That is still some way down the line and will not affect anything that is going on over the next few months. The Trust is not a quick fix nor a bail out for the club, the plans are all long term and centre on sustainability and delivering community ownership in a slow but sure manner.

All that said, if Trust members decide that they want to invoke an EGM of our own and meet the criteria then we as a board are duty bound to deliver it...and they will ultimately decide the course of action, and hear the same advice that we have been given. If its a show a strength we need then as I said previously, the current board are under no illusions about where the Trust stand in regards how the club is being run and the differences in opinion have been well documented down the years, no one is holding a gun to our head here and no one will dictate policy that doesn't respect our democratic constitution.

31 minutes ago, Trojan76 said:

If the Trust are supposed to represent the fans then surely it is a no brainer they should be supporting the calls for an EGM.

Not if they don't have  a mandate from their members. The Trust committee represents the views of its members, not the supporters based on an online straw poll.

As Baz says, if a KFC EGM can be called without the need to call a Trust EGM to vote on the subject, it would make sense.

We haven't been told whether the number of KFC shareholders and their shareholdings committed to calling for an EGM are already sufficient.  

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Not if they don't have  a mandate from their members. The Trust committee represents the views of its members, not the supporters based on an online straw poll.

As Baz says, if a KFC EGM can be called without the need to call a Trust EGM to vote on the subject, it would make sense.

We haven't been told whether the number of KFC shareholders and their shareholdings committed to calling for an EGM are already sufficient.  

As far as I was made aware this week, they are currently not.

There is no reason not to support a call for an EGM.

All this does is allow matters to be aired in a democratic forum.

It is then up to groups or individuals how they vote on any of the resolutions put forward.

In short, groups may be better asking their members how they would like to vote on the issues at an EGM, rather than whether or not an EGM should take place.

5 hours ago, a1killiefan said:

There is no reason not to support a call for an EGM.

All this does is allow matters to be aired in a democratic forum.

It is then up to groups or individuals how they vote on any of the resolutions put forward.

In short, groups may be better asking their members how they would like to vote on the issues at an EGM, rather than whether or not an EGM should take place.

Totally agree, SH has done a great job but it will only be a trickle now that will come in so as he says he will fall short of the 5%. We need to get this moving asap or momentum will be lost, therefore I think Trust must ballot members sooner rather than later and get this moving.

2 hours ago, Sandman396 said:

It does seem like a watershed moment for the Trust. 

By not going out and balloting member opinion, the trust board are effectively abstaining, akin to MJ abstaining on the Rangers Newco vote.

Who do these quotes belong to?

"Duty... to act in the long-term interests of Kilmarnock"

"...elected to abstain in order to reflect the result of the consultation process and in recognition of a number of other factors"

The Trust should be on the front foot here by emailing the members (snailmail for those with email addresses) and ask one question:

"Should the Killie Trust support the call for a KFC EGM .... Yes or No?"

Let the members decide what their elected officials should do.

Also if time is of the essence then this would be quicker than waiting for an appropriate amount of members to get together and call a Trust EGM for a vote on supporting a call for a KFC EGM.

The Trust standpoint seems to be lets see if there is enough support for a EGM so we don't have to stick our head above the parapet and jeopardise our place on the board. 

I say, support the call for the EGM with your shares and there could be a real chance of change at the club which hopefully would open up a easy passage for a seat on a progressive board.

I am struggling to see what the Trust think they can achievie with a member on the board while MJ is still calling the shots. The history between MJ and the Trust would suggest all would not be forgotten. We have lost Mann and Moran who am sure had plans they couldn't implement , so I don't see how the Trust can.

If on the board would the Trust ask for a vote by its members on every topic discussed  as they are doing about the EGM? Why can't the elected leaders make a decision the same way our MP's do?

I'm a lapse member of the Trust so you could argue I don't have the right to comment on what they do, but my decision to invest in the future will be heavily influenced by how they act.

How many are fan are in the same situation? 

2 minutes ago, Bomber said:

The Trust standpoint seems to be lets see if there is enough support for a EGM so we don't have to stick our head above the parapet and jeopardise our place on the board. 

I say, support the call for the EGM with your shares and there could be a real chance of change at the club which hopefully would open up a easy passage for a seat on a progressive board.

I am struggling to see what the Trust think they can achievie with a member on the board while MJ is still calling the shots. The history between MJ and the Trust would suggest all would not be forgotten. We have lost Mann and Moran who am sure had plans they couldn't implement , so I don't see how the Trust can.

If on the board would the Trust ask for a vote by its members on every topic discussed  as they are doing about the EGM? Why can't the elected leaders make a decision the same way our MP's do?

I'm a lapse member of the Trust so you could argue I don't have the right to comment on what they do, but my decision to invest in the future will be heavily influenced by how they act.

Agree 100% with this, The Trust sitting on the fence is the wrong decision in my opinion.

There's a lot of stuff going on in the background that everyone is not aware of. I've been in plenty of meetings over the last few weeks and there are more scheduled for tomorrow. You really think that anyone is sitting on their hands here? There is a lot more on the go than just the call for an EGM, and a lot of people involved that could potentially make a lot more difference than us confirming to MJ what we think about him and where we would like him to go.

At least Broon puts his hand up to being a lapsed member...I'll bet a pound to a penny that the majority who are commenting are not members either...it's okay to tell us what we should and shouldn't do but when we ask for input and support, that's a different story? It was 2003 we said that the way forward was some sort of community ownership because times were changing and our MO was suspect even back then. There shouldn't be a Killie fan out there who is not a Trust member, but we drew the line at telling people what to do...was that a mistake?

If you want to dictate policy to the Trust, then join, its as simple as that. Our former company secretary put a thread on here stating that he was interested in supporting the call for an EGM and asked people to get in touch. He got two replies. Two Trust members said they would like the Trust to call an EGM...three if you count me but I respect the democratic process and I'm not going to throw the rule book out the window just because it suits us at the time...that's as bad as MJ who literally re-wrote the rule book for his own ends. I also have huge respect for the guy who gives us advice on such matters and I'm pretty sure he knows a lot better than me so I'm not pushing even though I do want us to back this.

I get the feeling that some of you think this is a cop out. It's anything but. While some are clearly happy to rattle away on the keys and tell us all where we are going wrong, we're trying our best to be all things to all people and do the best job for the Killie Trust, which we were elected to do. I have no fears of a battle to get what we want and the time approaches when it may need to get a lot dirtier than it has ever been...but that doesn't include abandoning our principles or selling our fans up the river. The old divide and conquer tactic is alive and well, there will only be one winner if we continue to allow that to happen and it won't be Kilmarnock FC.

7 hours ago, Bomber said:

Yes I am.

Great post

5 hours ago, baz said:

There's a lot of stuff going on in the background that everyone is not aware of. I've been in plenty of meetings over the last few weeks and there are more scheduled for tomorrow. You really think that anyone is sitting on their hands here? There is a lot more on the go than just the call for an EGM, and a lot of people involved that could potentially make a lot more difference than us confirming to MJ what we think about him and where we would like him to go.

At least Broon puts his hand up to being a lapsed member...I'll bet a pound to a penny that the majority who are commenting are not members either...it's okay to tell us what we should and shouldn't do but when we ask for input and support, that's a different story? It was 2003 we said that the way forward was some sort of community ownership because times were changing and our MO was suspect even back then. There shouldn't be a Killie fan out there who is not a Trust member, but we drew the line at telling people what to do...was that a mistake?

If you want to dictate policy to the Trust, then join, its as simple as that. Our former company secretary put a thread on here stating that he was interested in supporting the call for an EGM and asked people to get in touch. He got two replies. Two Trust members said they would like the Trust to call an EGM...three if you count me but I respect the democratic process and I'm not going to throw the rule book out the window just because it suits us at the time...that's as bad as MJ who literally re-wrote the rule book for his own ends. I also have huge respect for the guy who gives us advice on such matters and I'm pretty sure he knows a lot better than me so I'm not pushing even though I do want us to back this.

I get the feeling that some of you think this is a cop out. It's anything but. While some are clearly happy to rattle away on the keys and tell us all where we are going wrong, we're trying our best to be all things to all people and do the best job for the Killie Trust, which we were elected to do. I have no fears of a battle to get what we want and the time approaches when it may need to get a lot dirtier than it has ever been...but that doesn't include abandoning our principles or selling our fans up the river. The old divide and conquer tactic is alive and well, there will only be one winner if we continue to allow that to happen and it won't be Kilmarnock FC.

Baz as has been stated before, this forum prob isn't the best place to ask that type of question and expect an answer from everyone. I never saw the post you are speaking about as I simply don't have the time to study the forum everyday. I am a trust member and would 100% support and suggest that it's in the trusts best interests in terms of keeping members, support the EGM motion. 

Wouldn't emailing members be a better way of finding out who would like the trust to support 

7 hours ago, baz said:

I'll bet a pound to a penny that the majority who are commenting are not members either...

While some are clearly happy to rattle away on the keys and tell us all where we are going wrong

Yeah, hands up, not a member but neither am I a keyboard rattler (sounds very MJ)

Fully intend to join the trust but just feel an EGM is vital.

Apologies if anything I have posted seems critical of the Trust, my comments were in respect of all shareholders / groups.

Edited by a1killiefan