Dons match fred

skygod

That's a sore one to take.

Think first thing to comment on is probably what I spent most time discussing during the match - the referee. He has to be the worst in Scotland. He's not biased, he's just awful for both teams. Both set of fans booed him off the park at HT! Spent so much time talking about him which is the opposite of how a good ref should be - you shouldn't really notice him.

By consensus, Rory should have been sent off for aiming a kick at the Aberdeen man (wrong side of the pitch for me to have a clear view)
Boyd had his shirt pulled half way up his chest about half a dozen times in the first half and got none of them - in fact one was given the opposite way for a claim of backing in by Boydie!
After not awarding free kicks against Aberdeen for loads of blatant fouls, he's then given Kenny McLean an outrageous yellow for what wasn't even a foul!
In extra time, Shay Logan gives away a foul in his channel when Jones knocks the ball past him and Logan decides to take the deliberate foul by kicking JJ. The most blatant second yellow you'll see and the ref completely bottles it. Moments later, Logan throws the ball in to the box to win the penalty.
Hard to comment on whether the penalty was the right shout - our group were split 50/50 between "Yes, he was getting his shirt pulled" and "No, May was backing in looking for it". Can't feel too aggrieved at that one as our defender gave the ref a decision to make.
He then disallows what seems a perfectly good goal by Brophy that would have won us the game.
He's then up the tunnel while 3/4 of the players are still on the pitch, so misses Aberdeen players goading Killie fans etc - one of the most basic rules for a referee and he gets it wrong. The man is a complete walloper.

Not one of those nights where you'd blame the ref for the result, I just felt he really ruined the cup tie.

On the game itself, I thought we really rode our luck first half, especially given we should probably have lost a man. Our goal led a bit of a charmed life. Aberdeen set their stall out well, McInnes obviously recognising that so much of our good play involves not lumping the ball forward and going through that midfield three. I thought they did really well getting right in on the midfield and giving them no time. How many passes did Dicker and Power misplace? Uncharacteristic.

Second half I was expecting the usual Steve Clarke response. It was a little slower in coming than usual but by about the hour mark we really grew in to the game and I thought our spell in that period of the game was the best spell either team had in the match. Couldn't believe we didn't score second half.

Into extra time and the goal was fantastic. A brilliant ball by Jones, excellent play by Brophy and such good awareness to pass to O'Donnell, who took the goal well. I thought that was it. Sickening to then lose an equaliser so quickly (after playing the guts of an hour and forty five without conceding, to then concede minutes after scoring!) Also a horrible feeling to celebrate what you think is the winner for Brophy only to see it chopped off. Jamie keeps us in the tie with that last minute save!

Once it goes to penalties, we have no complaints. I don't accept that penalties are a lottery - you only have to look at the records of Germany, or a Graham Alexander, to see it's something that can be nailed down. Brophy's run-up was appalling and you could tell he was never scoring. Taylor and Kiltie's penalties were crap too. Even the fourth, O'Donnell's, we were lucky to score it after Woodman got a good hand to it. Thought he did really well with his saves but we made it too easy for him.

Edited by Dillinger

1 hour ago, galbraj said:

Well gonna gub them.............and if not the Tic are! 

It's safe to say any of the 3 remaining teams will gub them. 

Even if they somehow overcome the loss of McLean, Shinnie and Logan in the semi they will do their usual capitulation against the Old Firm in the final. 

So close ...but in the end so gutting.....all if's and buts .......but if we could have kept that lead bit longer they were looking bereft of ideas ....for a very experienced defender who has played really well this season to put hands on a player in the box was silly especially with that ref...

We have played a lot better this season against better teams than Aberdeen too...but yet again we just seem to struggle to impose our game when facing them ...

1 hour ago, jesper said:

Minter?

Please point out which part of my post you don't agree with, or can you only insult without actually addressing my post?

Do you agree then that our season is going to side now, because we got beaten by a team that were strong favourites and who we have struggled to beat recently?

@jesper my comment was actually aimed at the original post you replied to, realised I had made a mistake, hence why I removed it straight away. 

I actually agree 100% with your post. 

Please accept my sincere apologies sir.

Edited by C4mmy31

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

@jesper my comment was actually aimed at the original post you replied to, realised I had made a mistake, hence why I removed it straight away. 

Please accept my sincere apologies sir.

Ahh, no worries - nothing to see here! 

Did find it odd I was getting called out for backing the team xD

Wouldn't have minded if we got beaten by a good Aberdeen team, but the fact they really are terrible makes it heartbreaking. Especially when you consider 2 wrong decisions have cost us in both games. 

But hey ho, would never have had us in a quarter final and top 6 in September/October, never mind start of the season. 

Here's to next season when SSC can work his magic over 38 games plus both cups. 

Very soft penalty. Broadfoot had his hands on him (like practically every defender does at every set piece) but he certainly didn't pull him to the ground. McLean was conned. To be fair, the penalty we got with McKenzie in the County cup tie was never one either. Scottish referees are unbelievably bad. They generally have no clue about the game. 

2 minutes ago, historyman said:

Very soft penalty. Broadfoot had his hands on him (like practically every defender does at every set piece) but he certainly didn't pull him to the ground. McLean was conned. To be fair, the penalty we got with McKenzie in the County cup tie was never one either. Scottish referees are unbelievably bad. They generally have no clue about the game. 

Neil Lennon really does have a point. 

They are awful. It does seem McLean is is particularly bad. Thought he was all over the place tonight. s**t for both teams 

Totally gutted,missed a great opportunity to make the semis against a pretty poor Dons side. Thought the team looked off the pace throughout, not their fault though . We can thank the geniuses who run the game for that. 

Still been one of the most enjoyable seasons I can remember, just need to secure the top 6 finish now. 

He’s just a dreadful ref. Thought it was a great effort by players and fans tonight. Not the best performance but they gave everything. 

Having to listen to the drivel from Sportsound on the way to and from the game was grim - I wasn’t even sure we were playing as they spent first 15 mins talking about Aberdeen. 

• CB unpinned this topic
9 minutes ago, AT11 said:

He’s just a dreadful ref. Thought it was a great effort by players and fans tonight. Not the best performance but they gave everything. 

Having to listen to the drivel from Sportsound on the way to and from the game was grim - I wasn’t even sure we were playing as they spent first 15 mins talking about Aberdeen. 

Willie Miller is an ‘unintelligent individual’ and is totally biased. He also can’t say three consecutive words on any topic  without contradicting himself. A total and utter wank-piece of the highest order. Even his fellow Dons fans on the commentary/ pundit team were not backing up his demented views. MacKenzie should have had two red cards? Aye right Willie.

As for  referee McLean and his ‘assistants’ - god help us all. Shocking all night. Bad for both teams perhaps, but much worse for us IMO - as per usual

5 minutes ago, Jamsie said:

How many other clubs forums have "if only we had a Kris Boyd"?

To be clear, I meant if only he had been on the pitch at the end of extra time to take a penalty.

I didn't think I needed to spell it out.

Edited by skygod

38 minutes ago, jesper said:

Deary me, is that it? They got a penalty for that?

And we get a seemingly perfectly good goal chalked off very soon after too. 

Who was the ref again...? Typical. 

looking down on it from the moffat, it looked a stonewaller, i'm more annoyed at the fact boydie had his shirt almost pulled off in the second half and we never got a penalty for that

It's easy to talk about the ref, but for large parts of the game we were dreadful. I don't know if it was tiredness or nerves, or a mixture of the two. Until he went off, it was reminiscent of the Ayr game when balls were constantly lumped up to Boyd, when he wasn't winning any of them. 

The midfield seemed to be passed by completely, and when they did get the ball it seemed to bounce off shins and back to Aberdeen. I think only O'Donnell and Taylor really turned up, although Brophy was good when he came on. 

I knew they would win penalties as Woodman has previous for saving them - that boy will get to the very top I think.  

I know someone else got pelters for it, but I hope the season doesn't peter out from here. We're pretty much guaranteed top six, but Europe is no longer realistic, so there isn't much to play for. Hopefully the team picks itself up and goes again at Ibrox. 

6 hours ago, aldo said:

looking down on it from the moffat, it looked a stonewaller, i'm more annoyed at the fact boydie had his shirt almost pulled off in the second half and we never got a penalty for that

Watching it on the highlights it’s more of a penalty than I thought at the time. Boyd was pushed and pulled a lot more all game. I can think of at least four incidents in and around the 18yard box which were worse but Boyd stayed on his feet. 

9 hours ago, Hungryhippo said:

Five red cards...?? The boy Woodman saved the penalties... Jamie did not - simple as

thats why he's picking up international caps at under 21 level just now and jamie mac ain't even being considered for a squad.. it those small differences that make a good goalie at great one

How can you compare two goalkeepers based on two sets of different penalty kicks?

How can you compare them because one is in an international U21 squad and the other isn’t (mainly because he’s 31)?

Woodman might be the better goalkeeper but those measurements are just daft. 

Anyway, we’ve been through all this before. Woodman isn’t our player and never has been. Jamie is and we need to support him for as long as he is the manager’s first pick.