Dons match fred

skygod

4 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

We took a team with a much higher budget to penalties in a cup replay. We have punched above our weight and cannot wait until next season when Clarke has the chance to bring his own players and we can right this wrong. 

Still hurts like hell though. 

3 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Still hurts like hell though. 

It really does. I'm trying to remember the start of our season and how numb I'd gotten to it. This is the first time I've been this upset as us losing in a long long time, I think that tells you something. We've been s**te for years, but we are turning the corner and it's now our turn to be successful

2 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

I'm trying to remember the start of our season and how numb I'd gotten to it. This is the first time I've been this upset as us losing in a long long time, I think that tells you something. We've been s**te for years, but we are turning the corner and it's now our turn to be successful

Absolutely this. For the past five seasons the actual football has often been an interruption to an otherwise good day out with my pals, to the point that the main discussion point we'd have during some games is how many goals down we'd have to be before we left for the pub. "Numb" is exactly the word, and it's strange rediscovering how gutting it is to have been so close. I'm desperate for this revolution to continue so we can see what Clarke can achieve with a full season and more of his own personnel. Hoping that involves getting it right up Graeme Shinnie at some point, the fud.

Yup. Having come so close and knowing that we actually had a real chance of winning the whole thing is what is the thing that is the gut wrencher. The team could have not done much more. I think the last few weeks took the toll on the players and we have done amazingly to be undefeated in all of those. We only lost last night on penalties. 

Hope now we can push on and get top 6

There aren't many downsides to winning the Scottish Cup but trying to hang on to Steve Clarke in the summer if we had triumphed would have been very difficult.

The exposure he would have received, in addition to the dramatically improved league position, would undoubtedly have attracted interest from England.

At least this defeat makes it more likely that he'll still be here next season.

Edited by fraz65

Contrary to what others seem to be saying I thought only the one penalty - Greg's - was truly bad. The other two while inviting the possibility of a save by being at middling height would have been goals 7 or 8 times out of ten but Woodman guessed right and made great saves.

1 hour ago, david mcbeth said:

Contrary to what others seem to be saying I thought only the one penalty - Greg's - was truly bad. The other two while inviting the possibility of a save by being at middling height would have been goals 7 or 8 times out of ten but Woodman guessed right and made great saves.

Brophy's was decent, although I've never been a fan of the short run up.

Taylor's was embarrassing, that was 100% the worst. If you go down the middle you go high... never low!

Greg's was at a perfect height for the keeper, but at least he picked a side. Credit to Woodman for saving it.

I don't blame three young blokes for standing up and having a go though. It was the other experienced players that hid from taking the kicks.

(Woodman) said: “Penalties seem to follow me wherever I go. I’ve come out on top in a few now and hopefully it can stay like that during my career.

“I was positive we would win in normal time but as soon as the whistle went at the end of extra time my mind was focused and I was confident. Our boys did well by scoring theirs to help me out and it feels great.

“I’ve got friends in the Kilmarnock team that I spent a lot of time with, so I’m a little bit disappointed for them but I’m an Aberdeen player now and I’m happy to be through to the semi-finals.

“Goalkeepers don’t practise penalties. If anything we hate them. At training players want to do penalties all the time and it does my head in as it means diving about everywhere.

“I’ve tried studying penalty takers, I’ve guessed at penalties, I’ve tried everything. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. This time it was a win.”

(Press & Journal)

That's about the best you could expect him say.