Fleeting/ Moffat

Mclean07

2 hours ago, david mcbeth said:

As an accountant he presided over (at least the start of) the period when the club really started racking up the unsustainable operating costs on top of the stadium debt so as an accountant he couldn't have been a very good one IMO.

Nonsense the accountant can only report the issues, if he is overruled by the owners/boards members who continue to spend and the financial institutions support and allow this then there would be sod all he could do.  Other than resign, that may loosen their reigns even more and make a bad situation deteriorate.

Edited by Beaker71

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Support at the cup game was as big as any up there under Fleeting. 

I'll take your word for it but we really didn't play Aberdeen that often in the top division under Fleeting. We did however, take 3,000 to Perth for a midweek game after losing 3-0 away to Dundee the previous Saturday.

1 hour ago, Killiekranky said:

I sat in a packed grand hall and listened to Bobby Fleeting tell us we would become an established Premier League team, we would play in Europe, win a national cup, have international players in our team and all from a brand new Stadium........I thought he was mental, but it all came to pass.

I was there that night. My recollection is he didn't talk about winning a cup or having international players but he did say the rest of the things you mention.

However, it was almost 30 years ago!

No doubt about it BF had a big influence on Killie. Only problem was most of it was on the back of somebody else's money. Also the lure of Florida & his in laws money was too big for him. The best thing he ever did was get Jim Moffat involved. Fortunately for us JM saw that Bobby was basically a Snake Oil Salesman & unfortunately for us he passed away too early & lumbered us with some of the worst people to be involved with Killie, his son Jamie, Bill Costley & MJ.   

7 minutes ago, harley said:

No doubt about it BF had a big influence on Killie. Only problem was most of it was on the back of somebody else's money. Also the lure of Florida & his in laws money was too big for him. The best thing he ever did was get Jim Moffat involved. Fortunately for us JM saw that Bobby was basically a Snake Oil Salesman & unfortunately for us he passed away too early & lumbered us with some of the worst people to be involved with Killie, his son Jamie, Bill Costley & MJ.   

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Killiekranky said:

I sat in a packed grand hall and listened to Bobby Fleeting tell us we would become an established Premier League team, we would play in Europe, win a national cup, have international players in our team and all from a brand new Stadium........I thought he was mental, but it all came to pass.

Did you pledge £1600 for a midgets seat which basically got you a privilege to nothing & then you also had to buy a season ticket to get in to see a game. 

Edited by harley

1 hour ago, harley said:

Don’t think Bill Costley should be labelled as ‘ some of the worst people “ and he had nothing to do with Jamie and MJ,s appointments . It was his initial idea I believe , to have a hotel , which for many years was the only profitable venture associated with Kilmarnock FC . He also lost a 6 figure sum through his association with our club and is still a regular attender at the games and AGM 

10 hours ago, harley said:

Did you pledge £1600 for a midgets seat which basically got you a privilege to nothing & then you also had to buy a season ticket to get in to see a game. 

That's not how I remember the deal nor how it looks from the material at the time. 

It was a payment of £820 (£34.17 x 24 months) which entitled the donor to a season ticket for 94/95 and 95/96. 

After those two seasons, you weren't obliged to renew the season ticket but you had the right to buy a season ticket for that seat “for ever more”.

I don’t remember how much a season ticket was back then but what it boiled down to was the privileged season ticket cost the equivalent of £410 a year for two years. 

Currently I’m paying - quite willingly - £300 a year to TiK for no personal benefit at all. 

I suppose it boils down to what you are prepared and able to do for your club and what you expect in return. 

Edited by skygod

18 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

Can we not just appreciate what we had rather than wanting to tear it down ? I must admit I was very dubious about Bobby Fleeting at the start, probably one of the few voices of dissent at the meeting in the West stand. He was a master salesman though, and could communicate with fellow fans in a way that no chairman since has. I remember train journeys to away games where he would take time to speak to every Killie fan on the train. The Evening Times used to list the supporter's buses for each team and at one point we were taking thirty buses to away league games. I counted seven, maybe ten, at the Aberdeen Cup game. Jim Moffat wasn't a football fan but he did appreciate what the club meant to the community and was prepared to put his own money into supporting it. If it did happen, a few barrels of beer seems insignificant compared to what others have taken from the club. It did go wrong at the end and finished acrimoniously, but it was a hell of a journey while it lasted.

Perhaps my comment was a bit harsh in retrospect. I started supporting Killie in the Lauchlan era so fully appreciate what Bobby did for the club. 

He was definitely a great people person. He would have done well in politics. 

4 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

Don’t think Bill Costley should be labelled as ‘ some of the worst people “ and he had nothing to do with Jamie and MJ,s appointments . It was his initial idea I believe , to have a hotel , which for many years was the only profitable venture associated with Kilmarnock FC . He also lost a 6 figure sum through his association with our club and is still a regular attender at the games and AGM 

Agreed. Bill Costley is a decent man and a genuine Killie fan. 

MJ on the other hand...

10 hours ago, harley said:

Lucky for us Alex Ingram never got on the board

10 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

I'll take your word for it but we really didn't play Aberdeen that often in the top division under Fleeting. We did however, take 3,000 to Perth for a midweek game after losing 3-0 away to Dundee the previous Saturday.

I know but that was our first away game back in PL. The other week was best support ive seen up at Pittodrie from us. 

Remember taking about 3000 to Perth midweek in league too under TB. McPherson scored first minute. 

We've always had a big support in cup games away. Hearts under JJ fore example.

Sadly away games are out a lot of folks budgets now. That said, a lot more folk drive/get the train than they used to. Hence lower bus numbers. 

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I know but that was our first away game back in PL. The other week was best support ive seen up at Pittodrie from us. 

Remember taking about 3000 to Perth midweek in league too under TB. McPherson scored first minute. 

We've always had a big support in cup games away. Hearts under JJ fore example.

Sadly away games are out a lot of folks budgets now. That said, a lot more folk drive/get the train than they used to. Hence lower bus numbers. 

It was the league game I was talking about, our first season back in top league, Fleeting was the chairman. As you say, a lot of people must have driven up to Aberdeen. I didn't see the point of driving up when it was £12 on the Ardrossan bus, excellent deal and very well run too. 

10 hours ago, skygod said:

That's not how I remember the deal nor how it looks from the material at the time. 

It was a payment of £820 (£34.17 x 24 months) which entitled the donor to a season ticket for 94/95 and 95/96. 

After those two seasons, you weren't obliged to renew the season ticket but you had the right to buy a season ticket for that seat “for ever more”.

I don’t remember how much a season ticket was back then but what it boiled down to was the privileged season ticket cost the equivalent of £410 a year for two years. 

Currently I’m paying - quite willingly - £300 a year to TiK for no personal benefit at all. 

I suppose it boils down to what you are prepared and able to do for your club and what you expect in return. 

You also got your name on the board inside Rugby Park to acknowledge your part which is still there. Always gives me a little kick to see my name and friend names on it. My son worked as a student in the kitchens for Costley. He was always excitedly telling him when we were about to make a signing as he knew he was a Killie fan.

11 hours ago, skygod said:

I stand corrected but it was still a lot of money at the time. I have had the same season ticket seat for over 20 years so basically you gained nothing. On Costley, yes he may be a nice man but he was the instigator of building the Hotel which put us into debt of 6 million + at the time. We may have had a very small profit from the hotel every year but did we ever reduce the mortgage? Don't think so the debt just kept rising. 

James Moffat wasn’t particularly a football fan never mind a Killie fan, he put cash into the club as payback to the town of Kilmarnock as he saw it a community venture and he wanted to repay the support the town had given his company. He wasn’t pissed off at Bobby getting credit either as he didn’t want any for himself, I knew him personally and a lot of this stuff being mentioned is urban myth now considered fact. Bill Costley is a a big a Killie fan as you’ll meet, has his hotel idea been done properly we might have benefited from it to this day instead of it being run badly and then sold off to benefit you know who whom should never have cashed in from the debt write off deal. I think all this thread shows us is that for the club to operate better  it needs different types of characters involved, and that history will show everyone involved will be both loved and hated depending on individuals viewpoints. I personally like Billy Bowie and hope he stays involved for a while, but there is something dodgy happening with this trust in Killie campaign otherwise why wouldn’t he be snapping the 100 Grand up straight away to help keep the good times going? The club seem reluctant to engage and take free money and all I can think of is that it’s all related to the clubs deal with the hotel, which must be due to be reviewed soon (I’d imagine there is a lengthy notice period) and with Billy as a majority shareholder in both his involvement is comprised and a new director would insist on getting what’s best for the club, not the other business. Then again I’ve been wrong before, maybe the problem is with the Trust, hard to tell with no one saying much at the moment.

50 minutes ago, harley said:

I have had the same season ticket seat for over 20 years so basically you gained nothing.

The benefits were poor - your name on a board, free membership of the Killie Club and a keyring! Priority in purchasing tickets for all-ticket matches, which you can get for a one-off £50 share purchase.

The original promotion material mentions privileged parking "if available". Where were they planning to find the space for a car park that size?!

A football club could offer so many more unique benefits which wouldn't cost them much - meet and greets, draws for prizes, memorabilia etc. And if you let your privileged season ticket lapse for any reason, renewing it didn't entitle you to any of the benefits, including your original seat.

20 hours ago, killie1961 said:

I remember at cowdenbeath Bobby Fleeting in terracing when a deranged killie fan was trying to pick a fight with him

Don't remember this but him n Denny Martin stood with us at Cowdenbeath. We were pished but only banter and singing I can remember. One of the boys got a loan of Denny Martin's big camel coat!

1 minute ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

Don't remember this but him n Denny Martin stood with us at Cowdenbeath. We were pished but only banter and singing I can remember. One of the boys got a loan of Denny Martin's big camel coat!

Small chubby bloke about 5ft 7ins must be about 60 now still see him in the town