Scottish Youth Cup Quarter Final today

Killie Conman

Yes, great result considering Well seemed to win quite easily in the league the other week.

Seems like they did well to keep their composure too when Well were losing theirs.

Get Wilson in for the semi. Higgins qualifies too but it doesn't seem that we have him on a development loan which would allow him to play.

Daniel Higgins was suspended for today’s match as he had received 2 bookings in the earlier rounds against Hearts and Spartans. It would be great to have both Higgins and Iain Wilson playing in the semi final.

Considering the 20s have struggled in the league, their 2 wins over Hearts and Motherwell, who are both at the top end of the league table has been a remarkable achievement. Last season’s Killie 20s also made the semi final but they never had to play another Premiership team in their route to the semi final.

Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs will have their big guns recalled for the semi’s so I hope Killie do the same. 

Rangers who dropped out of the 20s league, as they wanted  to play more challenging games, lost to St Johnstone in and earlier round of the Youth Cup. They must be feeling right stupid now.

23 hours ago, Neilly said:

How can Higgins play if he is on loan 

Many of the U20s who are out on a development loan with other SPFL clubs also regularly play for their home club U20s.

For example Motherwell’s Jake Hastie started today, but he was also in the Airdrie starting team along with Higgins in Saturday’s league game.

Edited by TroonKFC
Spelling

4 minutes ago, TroonKFC said:

Rangers who dropped out of the 20s league, as they wanted  to play more challenging games, lost to St Johnstone in and earlier round of the Youth Cup.

They're maybe copying the example of Brentford, who have no youth set-up but have a B team which just plays non-competitive matches.

It doesn't seem to be working for Rangers as Brentford beat them 3-0 the other week, despite their including Alnwick, Hodson, Wallace, Dorrans and Halliday!

https://www.afc.co.uk/report_nostats/sfa-yc-young-dons-claim-semi-final-spot/

According to the above Aberdeen match report for their Quarter Final win over Ross County, Aberdeen were due to meet the winners of the Killie game. I don’t know if this is accurate or not.

I hope it is Aberdeen they get in the semi final. It would be nice to get some revenge.

2 hours ago, skygod said:

They're maybe copying the example of Brentford, who have no youth set-up but have a B team which just plays non-competitive matches.

It doesn't seem to be working for Rangers as Brentford beat them 3-0 the other week, despite their including Alnwick, Hodson, Wallace, Dorrans and Halliday!

Was Warburton at Brentford? 

Yes. They got rid of the youth set-up after he left though.

They are owned by the same people who own Midtjylland in Denmark. Both clubs operate on a basis of heavily using statistical data to assess players and signing up and coming young players with an eye on future profit.

They think that it is a more reliable model than the expensive and labour intensive one of developing their own players.

1 hour ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Samizadeh ran riot in that game 

Not sure i would go that far. He definately has talent but doesnt look like he will ever be a team player. Refuses to pass even when a team mate is on his own in the box and ready for a tap in. Instead he tries to go alone for the spectacular. Cant see this ever meeting with steve clarkes approval.

It was decent spectacle and I think by all accounts David eventually beat Goliath! I have to be honest here and say there are quite a few of the players in our youth squad who are just not going to progress with us and I can see us rebuilding from that level as well. I don't mean that Andy Millen is going to recruit only giants, but I think we will see a gradual change in us not signing quite so many smaller players. I don't want to criticise any players for individual mistakes (there were a few) so best to say that it is definitely a work in progress situation (as you'd expect) and we do have some real potential in there. Innes held the ball up well and was a great asset to the side, McLevy as well to the extent Motherwell stopped going down his side at all in the second half. Samizadeh put on a great individual performance but as mentioned previously needs to be more of a team player.

Indiscipline cost the Motherwell side dearly and you can see where they get it from with Craigan being sent to the stand. Several of their players tried to take a pop at Sami after the final whistle but our boys sensibly stepped in to calm things down. Tommy Adams and I were down the front and applauded our boys off...for which one of their guys booted the ball directly at us (he's that shite he missed) and others not so politely told us to "f*ck off" and "hope you get f*cked in the next round". I appreciate if you give it then you take it back but in all honesty their was no need for their behaviour, sore losers, no discipline, they got what they deserved...nothing.

1 hour ago, baz said:

It was decent spectacle and I think by all accounts David eventually beat Goliath! I have to be honest here and say there are quite a few of the players in our youth squad who are just not going to progress with us and I can see us rebuilding from that level as well. I don't mean that Andy Millen is going to recruit only giants, but I think we will see a gradual change in us not signing quite so many smaller players. I don't want to criticise any players for individual mistakes (there were a few) so best to say that it is definitely a work in progress situation (as you'd expect) and we do have some real potential in there. Innes held the ball up well and was a great asset to the side, McElevey as well to the extent Motherwell stopped going down his side at all in the second half. Samizadeh put on a great individual performance but as mentioned previously needs to be more of a team player.

Indiscipline cost the Motherwell side dearly and you can see where they get it from with Craigan being sent to the stand. Several of their players tried to take a pop at Sami after the final whistle but our boys sensibly stepped in to calm things down. Tommy Adams and I were down the front and applauded our boys off...for which one of their guys booted the ball directly at us (he's that s**te he missed) and others not so politely told us to "f*ck off" and "hope you get f*cked in the next round". I appreciate if you give it then you take it back but in all honesty their was no need for their behaviour, sore losers, no discipline, they got what they deserved...nothing.

Good report. The surface looked hellish in the highlights, did it seem that bad at the game ?