Still Moaning About JJ

allycowan1

4 goals and 1 assist in the league but how much space does he give the rest of the team when he drags 2 or 3 folk over to his side. 

You genuinely get excited every time he gets the ball as 9 times out of 10 he beats his man, more and more in the new year he's been putting in a good ball or strike at goal too.

Erwin should've scored from his layoff in Hamilton game but took too long.

Like Mulumbu we should enjoy him while he's here. 

1 hour ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

I worry that whoever signs JJ also tries to take Greg Taylor with him. They clearly have a great understanding on that left and look like they enjoy playing together.

I think both will sign extensions this week. Watch this space!

I remember a pre-season game at the start of the 2016/17 season when Lee Clark launched his pool of youngsters. Jordon came on as a second half substitute and made an immediate impact with his trickery and pace. Members of his family were sitting in front of me and their excitement at seeing him make such an impact on the game was very clear.  Clearly he had gone through a bad spell in his career and Killie had become an important choice for him to regain momentum. I think he has achieved that aim, resurrected his career, benefitted our team and his own prospects in the process.

He will go on to a bigger club but hopefully will leave a financial legacy and many good memories for us in doing so.

For those critical of his contribution, wake up because you will miss him when he's gone and retrospectively realise we were fortunate to have his talent here at all.

Part of the problem is that he is so exciting when he runs with the ball that if he doesn't pick a pass or have a decent shot then it is a bit anticlimactic.

There are several areas where he can improve his game if he wants to play at the top level and he has enough time to have another couple of years guidance from SC and still get a big move.

Agree with those who say we should just enjoy him while he's here - I know it's hard but I'm sure some of us remember "enjoyment" relating to Killie!  He may not be perfect but, especially against the ordinary everyday workmanlike defenders prevalent in our league, he's brilliant to watch.

4 hours ago, Bullitt said:

I think both will sign extensions this week. Watch this space!

Bullitt, I’m relatively new to the forum and I’m sure you are a gentlemen of high credibility. But you can’t go around suggesting jj is on the edge of a contract extension unless you are 100 percent sure..you will break my heart! Can I order my daughter the latest top with “ genius jones” or would you recommend I wait for official club confirmation?

14 hours ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Bullitt, I’m relatively new to the forum and I’m sure you are a gentlemen of high credibility. But you can’t go around suggesting jj is on the edge of a contract extension unless you are 100 percent sure..you will break my heart! Can I order my daughter the latest top with “ genius jones” or would you recommend I wait for official club confirmation?

xD I wouldn't be rushing out to get his name on my top... as the Black Eyed Peas would say "I gotta feeling"...

• 2 weeks later...

I heard him and Taylor were signing extensions. Wishful thinking perhaps from the Gazebo mafia today? Who knows!

It's easy to sign extensions when you are wiping the floor with Scottish football. We need to strike while the iron is hot and that's exactly what SSC has done.

So exciting when he runs at players but equally as frustrating when there is nothingto show at the end of it.

Rarely makes a run into space and instead he drops back to get the ball, decision making could be better as he often runs until he bumps into a player or holds onto the ball too long.

8 hours ago, chubbs said:

So exciting when he runs at players but equally as frustrating when there is nothingto show at the end of it.

Rarely makes a run into space and instead he drops back to get the ball, decision making could be better as he often runs until he bumps into a player or holds onto the ball too long.

Was central to both goals yesterday. We are far less of a threat when he isn't playing. 

He drops back to get the ball because he is only player we have who can run at defenders and go past them. 

JJ and Taylor changed the game yesterday constant threat down the left there right wing back never got over the half way line as he was so scared of jj pace. Great watching jj what an attacking threat and he will only getter better under SC just got to hope rumours as mentioned here are true and he signs new contract but also need Taylor on new contract as well they should both be up for league young player of the year.

18 minutes ago, historyman said:

Was central to both goals yesterday. We are far less of a threat when he isn't playing. 

He drops back to get the ball because he is only player we have who can run at defenders and go past them. 

How much credit do you give someone for losing possession for the second goal. He brought the ball inside but was running into trouble. Got tackled and the loose ball is picked up by Mulumbu to really threaten. Initially I thought he had passed before the tackle but highlights show otherwise.

I think it’s unfair to say he’s the only player we have who can run at men and go past them. Kiltie, O'Donnell, Brophy, Erwin and Taylor all have that in there locker. What they don’t have is the blistering pace which JJ does it at. 

How much do people think aspects of his game have improved with the amount of minutes he’s had on the pitch and the coaching he’s had. For me he’s a far better player than he was this time last year. His running is great and he looks a threat. He’s a lot cleverer now. Things that happen are water off a ducks back where before they may have put him off for a while. His final ball is still disappointing on the most part. How much has that really improved? When Boyd finds space at the box you almost expect a goal, Erwin and Brophy you expect the keeper to be tested but with JJ it’s still hope. If he can improve that he will go far in the game. 

I would give him loads of credit for his contribution to the second goal. He started the move and left three men behind him before the ball broke to Mulumbu. To think he didn't play a big part in the goal is not giving him the credit he deserves. 

I take your point that we have others who can go past players but with the exception of SOD none of them can carry the ball the distance that Jones does and with the same directness. I don't see Kiltie as someone who beats players at all, that's not his game. 

Of course his final ball can be better sometimes and his shooting is not as accurate as the main strikers but he is a massive part of our team. We haven't had a player like him for years and he will be a huge miss if he leaves. Like the rest of them he has improved enormously as a result of being under a good manager. 

Edited by historyman

1 minute ago, historyman said:

I give him loads of credit for his contribution to the second goal. He started the move and left three men behind him before the ball brine to Mulumbu. To not think he played a big part in the goal is not giving him the credit he deserves. 

I take your point that we have others who can go past players but with the exception of SOD none of them can carry the ball the distance that Jones does and with the same directness. I don't see Kiltie as someone who beats players at all, that's not his game. 

Of course his final ball can be better sometimes and his shooting is not as accurate as the main strikers but he is a massive part of our team. We haven't had a player like him for years and he will be a huge miss if he leaves. Like the rest of them he has improved enormously as a result of being under a good manager. 

Correct , the balance of our team needs a player with pace ...there is a number of times where we are under pressure and Jones provides an excellent outlet to get the opposition on the back foot and bring our team forward. He has improved greatly this season 

Yes he has weak parts to his game that he still needs to improve but so does every player at our level 

There will again be interest in Jones other clubs in the summer window and he would be a big loss.....

Maybe it's just me but I was hearing a fair bit of moaning about JJ yesterday yet again.  The same old nonsense about his final ball and decision making.

I watched a player who absolutely terrorised the Accies do defence, who dragged his markers all over the pitch, drew fouls and, in one glorious moment, managed a Cruyff turn in front of the goal.

If you don't like JJ I'm not sure you like Football.

He is one of the few players in the SPL that when he gets the ball the fans are on there feet .Full backs are terrified from him he gave Taviner a torrid time twice ,who is supposably a EPL class player .Subject to a bid from Sevco and intrest from down south he is one of our biggest assets .He must be one of the most fouled players in the league getting countless players booked in the process .Sure his final ball could be better some times but you can't pull roses all the time.

Why is it the same old nonsense? Are we not allowed to wish for better from a talented player? IMO he was very frustrating yesterday. As said his running and being used as an outball were great. Is it wrong when he gets in a position to cross to hope he can put one on Boyds head? Is it wrong when he’s 20yards out to hope he pings it into the back of the net or tests the keeper and maybe the striker can tap in? It’s frustrating as hell when he does the hard work and fluffs his lines. There are times in a season where we really need his final ball and decision making and not just him carrying the ball 30yards. He’s shown against Celtic, Hibs, Thistle and others that it is there but we never know how long it will be till we see it again. 

2 minutes ago, piffer said:

Why is it the same old nonsense? Are we not allowed to wish for better from a talented player? IMO he was very frustrating yesterday. As said his running and being used as an outball were great. Is it wrong when he gets in a position to cross to hope he can put one on Boyds head? Is it wrong when he’s 20yards out to hope he pings it into the back of the net or tests the keeper and maybe the striker can tap in? It’s frustrating as hell when he does the hard work and fluffs his lines. There are times in a season where we really need his final ball and decision making and not just him carrying the ball 30yards. He’s shown against Celtic, Hibs, Thistle and others that it is there but we never know how long it will be till we see it again. 

Spot on

33 minutes ago, piffer said:

It's also bloody hard to do anything with the ball at that pace, not many can manage it. The ones who can are worth £20mill+ for that reason.

JJ is a frustrating player and his final ball and decision making are probably why he won’t go too high in the game but he is absolutely fantastic for us, he is exactly the type of player who can make the entry fee worthwhile, his pace and unpredictability are very exciting, his work rate is superb and he’s also got that cocky spring in his step from being a top performer for us. Please stay JJ! I’m a walk up fan (attending about 5-10 games per year) seriously considering a season ticket for me and my daughter next year, getting players like JJ tied down would make that an easy decision. 

If I was a man of greater financial means I’d offer him a 5 years deal at 5k a week. The current team goes from outstanding to solid/ good without him. Very, very difficult to replace.

its hard to argue he has room for improvement, he does of course, and he may well do...but what a player he is at our level...