The Salisbury attack

Gallus

Is nobody else curious as to why a leader as smart and ruthless as Vlad would put a hit on a former Russian spy (traitor) and use a nerve agent that can only be traced back to Russia? I'm sure he has the means to make the guy just vanish, maybe I have seen too many films but two guys chap his door late at night, he opens the door, they put two bullets in his head from a silenced handgun and slip him into the prepared body bag and then into the boot of their car, job done. Or maybe a mugging gone wrong where he dies from being stabbed...

Either it was the Russians and they want us to know it was them (worrying) or it is being made to look like the Russians (even more worrying)

Boris is an absolute cock womble

Pretty shoddy if it was the Russians, but then, who else would it be? 

Mad Vlad probably doesn't give a gnats hair what Europe thinks, he is already in bed with Big D across the pond, will now have the Chinese to himself.

Not really worried either way as none of them will start a war where Nuclear is possible, look at North Korea, basically shat it when Trump called their bluff.

Boris is indeed a CW, Theresa is, well Theresa, Jeremy I have absolutely no idea what he is doing, maybe he has. What other options are there?

1 hour ago, Gallus said:

Either it was the Russians and they want us to know it was them (worrying) or it is being made to look like the Russians (even more worrying)

Well that's a fairly concise summary of the situation. I, myself personally favour option 1 which is not good because they are so cock sure that they would do something like this without regard for any consequences.

As a rider to that, following Tonee's complete cluster-f**k over Iraq I think HMG need to be very careful about what they declare to be factual and verifiable. Which brings me to you other point.

1 hour ago, Gallus said:

Boris is an absolute cock womble

I am by no means certain what a CW is but if you mean a complete buffon who should be nowhere near oversight of a childs nursery let alone the government of this country let alone the foreign office, then I agree.

4 hours ago, killie billies pal said:

Not really worried either way as none of them will start a war where Nuclear is possible, look at North Korea, basically shat it when Trump called their bluff.

I wouldn't be so sure that the North Korean crisis is near a conclusion. China joining with sanctions has forced them to the table, not tiny hands and his threats of fire and fury.

As for Russia being behind the attack, I think it's more likely this one was botched massively. I cannot understand why any other country would be behind the attack

6 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

I wouldn't be so sure that the North Korean crisis is near a conclusion. China joining with sanctions has forced them to the table, not tiny hands and his threats of fire and fury.

I think "tiny hands" has gone to the Chinese looking for a nuclear umbrella and offering them a lever to shift the US off the peninsula in exchange. That is their shared aim. I think this one could blow back in Trump's face big time. Time will tell.

6 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

As for Russia being behind the attack, I think it's more likely this one was botched massively. I cannot understand why any other country would be behind the attack

I agree it is difficult to see anyone being behind this but the Ruskis and the words "total f**k up" to describe it. To start with the assassination target isnae even deid. Their unconvincing denials are just their way of dealing with the screw up

13 minutes ago, harley said:

Theresa May's popularity rating has gone up since they accused Russia.......just saying?

Hilda was allowed to put 10,000 coal miners out of work because she sank the Belgrano. And she is still worshiped to this day in many of the Home Counties.

29 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Hilda was allowed to put 10,000 coal miners out of work because she sank the Belgrano. And she is still worshiped to this day in many of the Home Counties.

Whereas Theresa "accused Russa" and visited a Cashmere factory in Ayr one morning..

The 80s were nothing compared to the excitement (or is it excrement) of Brexit.- you've never had it so good!

2 hours ago, harley said:

Theresa May's popularity rating has gone up since they accused Russia.......just saying?

Her party accepted donations from anti-Putin, Russian billionaires, living in London, who’ve been linked with other murders...just saying. Perhaps one with links to Uzbekistan and/or Israel might be worth investigating. 

9 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I think "tiny hands" has gone to the Chinese looking for a nuclear umbrella and offering them a lever to shift the US off the peninsula in exchange. That is their shared aim. I think this one could blow back in Trump's face big time. Time will tell.

I think this was also best case and the most likely scenario

You'd think if Putin wanted Sergei Skripal dead, as mentioned, there are cleaner ways to do it without using a signature military grade nerve agent in a public place.

The whole affair stinks of a set-up and the culprit is so far, unproven. Who else could it be? Maybe the question should be, who profits from a major war?

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

You'd think if Putin wanted Sergei Skripal dead, as mentioned, there are cleaner ways to do it without using a signature military grade nerve agent in a public place.

Or, if Putin wanted to show how little he cares about what the west thinks, using a signature military grade nerve agent in a public place is quite a good way.

There were probably cleaner ways to dispose of Markov, Litvenienko and Yushchenko, who survived, but they were poisoned.

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Or, if Putin wanted to show how little he cares about what the west thinks, using a signature military grade nerve agent in a public place is quite a good way. 

Maybe, but I feel you don't get to where he is being petty like that. What real purpose does it serve to do this to stick two fingers up to the West, but then deny it?

Putin gets away with all sorts of s**t because he can.

Annexing Crimea, shooting down the Malaysian airliner - which was a mistake but he still denied it - trying to influence elections....

So far, there's been no significant push-back from the west. Maybe he's testing their resolve before he makes a grab for the Baltic states.

I don't know - you can only look at the evidence and ask what is the most plausible reason.

2 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

Maybe, but I feel you don't get to where he is being petty like that. What real purpose does it serve to do this to stick two fingers up to the West, but then deny it?

Oh I can think of lots of reasons Putin would want a clearly signposted message. And why does he need to claim responsibility when everybody knows it was him?

It sends a message that if you betray Mother Russia you are never safe. We can get you wherever you are and there is nothing anyone can do about it. It makes perfect sense to me.

On the other hand, as some Russian diplomat pointed out, clearly it was nothing to do with Russia as Skirpal is still alive.

13 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Yup, did that too. Only group in the area with the technology to bring down an airliner at 35,000ft were the Ruskis. 

It wasn’t Russians it was pro-Russian rebels, I suppose you could call them unionists, using Russian supplied tech. However, if you’re going to hold the source country responsible for atrocities committed with its tech, good old Britain has far more blood on its hands. 

28 minutes ago, Zorro said:

.....the source country responsible for atrocities committed with its tech, good old Britain has far more blood on its hands. 

Britain doesn't even make the podium in arms exporters.

The US, Russia, France, China and even Germany are ahead of us.

I don't know if there is a table for Atrocities Committed With Manufactured Arms but I'm open to evidence.

I fancy the good old Kalashnikov has a few million to its name.

Edited by skygod

Just now, skygod said:

Britain doesn't even make the podium in arms exporters.

The US, Russia, France, China and even Germany are ahead of us.

I don't know if there is a table for Atrocities Committed With Exported Arms but I'm open to evidence.

I fancy the good old Kalashnikov has a few million to its name.

The Kalashnikov is manufactured in numerous countries so you’d have been as well claiming bullets or guns and attributing them to whichever country the original concept was born.

it doesn’t detract from the point you were wrong in claiming it woz the russkies wot done it. 

So to clarify; there are some people on here, who think the same Russkies who were unable to kill two people walking around totally unprotected, shot down an airliner and organised the takeover of a neighbouring country? 

If Amber Rudd is to be believed all the Russians would have needed to do, is post on Facebook and their “traitor” would have been as good as dead. Social media > “military grade” nerve agents in killing Top Trumps.