Thistle match thread (Fred)

C4mmy31

14 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Wasn't there so don't know if that's harsh criticism or not, but if we did have four passengers and won it doesn't say much for Thistle.

Mulumbu had one of his poorer games but his piece of skill in the 1st half when he pulled a high ball down & skinned his man in a oner was sublime. The other 3 were far from passengers tho I’d say it was telling that our best performances came from our back 4 but the highlight of today was the away support,fantastic from the warm up till the final whistle. Well done all,another fantastic 3 points.

Didn’t think we were at our best. 

First half we strolled it. Had we picked our game up we’d have been comfortably ahead by the break. 

Second half I felt we were second best. If Sammon was a finisher it’d have been a different story. 

Broadfoot for me was excellent as was Findlay beside him. Power and Dicker did a lot of hard graft. 

Felt they restricted us in wide areas. Our fullbacks didn’t get the room to bomb on. 

JJ produced a great cross for the goal but his final ball was poor. Too many miss hits from Boyd and Erwin in good areas. Mulumbu has a poor game and for me was heading for a second yellow for cheap fouls. 

I thought MacDonald looked really nervy. One in the second half looked routine but he chested it out and Broadfoot saved the day. Some of his punches lacked conviction as well. One very good save when Sammon tried to poke it under him though. Another clean sheet so I’m sure he’ll be content. 

If we show up for a full 90minutes against these bottom six sides we could give one of them a real hiding. Performances haven’t been brilliant in recent weeks but progress has us winning these games now when we’d have dropped points before

Think it's a bit poor saying some players were "passengers" today...yes our football in terms of passing, possession and skill at times was poor in second half ...but felt the team all put in a shift in terms of  work rate and closing the game down.....  Not even the likes of Barcelona can play top football in every game 

Can we please have a special mention for mulumbu's mis-timed/mis-hit shot....one of the funniest miss-hits I've seen. It was harder to do what he did. I had it counted before he made the attempt...what followed was brilliant.

He wasnt at his best as has been said but what about that turn while taking the ball out the clouds after 5mins. Great piece of skill.

2 hours ago, galbraj said:

Does it bother anybody that we can't seem to score a bunch of goals? I was really thinking we should've scored a few today..........

Jings.........only 7 red cards? whatsupwithatthen? 

and just to set the record straight.......I'm as happy as anybody that we keep winning, but how many of you on here predicted 2,3 or 4-0 win? And commented about the '3 strikers that will make other teams feart?' Well.........3 strikers couldn't score against a relegated pish poor team! 6 shots at goal and 3 on target. 

5 minutes ago, galbraj said:

Jings.........only 7 red cards? whatsupwithatthen? 

and just to set the record straight.......I'm as happy as anybody that we keep winning, but how many of you on here predicted 2,3 or 4-0 win? And commented about the '3 strikers that will make other teams feart?' Well.........3 strikers couldn't score against a relegated pish poor team! 6 shots at goal and 3 on target. 

Were more threatening against teams who come at us rather than stand off. Our counter attack and quick play is our most offensive football but only comes from breaking down an attack (mostly) so against lower opposition it's a little tougher to create. This is where I see us growing next season. We are hard to beat and put in 1000% effort and it's working, next season we need to add a bit of quality and control games.

19 minutes ago, Isle of Wight Exile said:

Part of the poor performances might be down to game control and conserving in games rather than pushing on and tiring ourselves

I absolutely think this is the case. Everything they did looked deliberate in the second half. It's bold from the manager but he's rarely wrong. 

I said last week after the Hamilton game that I thought it was a routine win and I think it would be fair to say the same again. Neither a particularly good performance but when you're on a 5 game winning streak, who gives a s**t.  We did what we had to do, and reduced Thistle to few real chances.

Broadfoot coming straight back in had to be the call, even though S Boyd played well last week. The big man is impervious. That last ditch block he made second half saved us the three points. Really pleased for big Findlay getting his goal too, deserved after yet another excellent performance. Got speaking to his mum and aunt on the way in to the ground, told them he had been excellent all season, then bumped into them briefly again after the game - they looked chuffed!

O'Donnell and Taylor have to be two of the most consistent fullbacks in the league. Just typical performances that we've come to expect from them yet again. Thought SOD in particular was great, getting up and down that wing.

Always happy when we play our strongest midfield three. Think Archibald had his tactics right in there, getting a couple of players straight in on Mulumbu every time he received the ball. It made for a tough game for him, and doubt he was too happy with his performance - not his best for us, and should have done far better with the shot second half. Definitely one where he hasn't realised how much time he has on the ball - enough for a touch, rather than his first time fresh air swipe. Still, in the first couple of minutes of the game, he brought a high ball out of the air with an absolute worldie of a touch that got him away from a Partick player who looked genuinely baffled as to where he had gone.

Of the front three, Jones had the best game - stretched them well and possibly unlucky not to get given a foul first half when he's gone through on goal. Pulled off the elastico again as he did to win the penalty vs St J, this time winning a free kick - a joy to watch! Did well for the goal too. I'd say it's as tired as I've seen him finish a game - he wasn't doing as much of the defensive stuff as he should have been last 10 and it made things tricky for us. Looked done. 

Second half I thought we did well to hold on for the three points. They were getting some joy down the right side through guys like Erskine. Think the sub bringing Rory on for Erwin was the right call at the time, though I'm not sure it was as effective as Clarke hoped from Rory. We dug in and certainly saw the game out professionally in the last few. 

Cracking Killie support too - nearly in danger of outnumbering Thistle's wee crowd. Onwards to Hamilton and win number 6!

My wee boy's first away game today after having been at seven or eight homes. Fair to say he's not yet had the full Killie experience in his young life. Came home talking about nothing else, played football in the living room before bed, then I was to pretend to be Steve Clarke putting Kris Boyd to bed at bedtime xD Glad he's enjoying it while it lasts