Greg Taylor contract

Robert

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hopefully a deal to make him a top end earner. Maybe not right at top of wage budget but we'll sell him for decent money so hopefully the deal reflects that.

Basically the opposite of what MJ used to do. He'll be getting a decent hike I'd imagine as his original deal was signed when he'd just broken into the team.

Make him a top earner? £750 a week plus bits and pieces and get on with playing. And if he gets his move, 10% of the kitty can go his way...

1 hour ago, the doomed said:

Make him a top earner? £750 a week plus bits and pieces and get on with playing. And if he gets his move, 10% of the kitty can go his way...

Or pay him £750 a week, he get's offered treble that in January and we lose him for nowt.

Just because he's young doesn't mean you can't reward him with a good contract similar to his peers. He's an ever present in the team and shouldn't be on less than say Steven Smith or Chris Burke.

Why should he be on less than half the top earners when he's our biggest asset. It works both ways.

49 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Or pay him £750 a week, he get's offered treble that in January and we lose him for nowt.

Just because he's young doesn't mean you can't reward him with a good contract similar to his peers. He's an ever present in the team and shouldn't be on less than say Steven Smith or Chris Burke.

Why should he be on less than half the top earners when he's our biggest asset. It works both ways.

Okay so make it £800... He's doing well, of that there is no doubt. 

I suppose it all depends on who he deems his peers to be, highest earning experienced pros like Kris Boyd or improving young players who have played 50-100 games. 

22 minutes ago, the doomed said:

Okay so make it £800... He's doing well, of that there is no doubt. 

I suppose it all depends on who he deems his peers to be, highest earning experienced pros like Kris Boyd or improving young players who have played 50-100 games. 

Depends if you want him to actually sign the contract though eh?

I take it only old players can earn anywhere near top end of the wage structure? Surely younger established players who play every week, are one of our best players and will only earn us decent money if on a long term deal are worth more than the likes of "experienced pro's" like Burke, Smith et al who rarely play and have zero sell on value?

10 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Give him 1k a week. Three years he will be in the Scotland squad. Having played in Europe. Hope him and Findlay are given new deals. Sod for me although he signed a 3 year deal should be rewarded with better terms he’s been sensational.

To be fair he'll be doing extremely well to get near the Scotland squad with Robertson, Tierney & Douglas miles ahead of him.

I think he has potential to be in the mix. Douglas is getting older he’s nearly 29. Tierney May end up centre back and Robertson’s four years older than him. He’s well established with Scotland youth age groups. Hope he does make it. Very sound at left back this year defensively. Having JJ infront of him has slightly hindered his getting forward I think as Jones generally likes to occupy space deep and run at people. Good player though defo give him a deal.

After witnessing what we have over the past few weeks with the contract extensions - especially the ones where we extended a deal with better terms, it looks to me that the penny has dropped at the club that having a stable squad of players is the best way to do well and keep safe.

Greg Taylor should naturally fall into the category of - young guy who could either be a core part of the squad for years to come or could be sold on for a tidy profit but I think he can be classed higher than that following his performances this year.

To me, it's a no brainer that he should be well rewarded and would rather see him treated as an integral part of the first team rather than a young boy doing well at the moment.

51 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Give him 1k a week. Three years he will be in the Scotland squad. Having played in Europe. Hope him and Findlay are given new deals. Sod for me although he signed a 3 year deal should be rewarded with better terms he’s been sensational.

He’d get more on the bloody rigs up here.

1 hour ago, KillieBus said:

After witnessing what we have over the past few weeks with the contract extensions - especially the ones where we extended a deal with better terms, it looks to me that the penny has dropped at the club that having a stable squad of players is the best way to do well and keep safe.

Greg Taylor should naturally fall into the category of - young guy who could either be a core part of the squad for years to come or could be sold on for a tidy profit but I think he can be classed higher than that following his performances this year.

To me, it's a no brainer that he should be well rewarded and would rather see him treated as an integral part of the first team rather than a young boy doing well at the moment.

Bang on.

If we want to keep players of Taylor quality on 3 year deals we’ll  need to be able to offer more than 1k a week. Clearly it needs to be linked to our revenue potential but if I was representing him I’d be looking for at least double that for a guy of his status ( regular in high performing premier league team and top man in the national under 21s). He’s developing well but 3 years a long time to be earning 50k a year basic when you got his talent.

Think it’s important that Taylor like others is offered a contract to reflect his role in the squad. He has been excellent since his debut and still improving now. He’s brought far more to the squad than the likes of Stevie Smith, Chris Burke, Cammy Bell and arguably Gordon Greer this season and I’m sure he’ll be on a third of what they are at best. 

My worry is the position we are in at the moment with Taylor and JJ as well if we end up have to settle for lesser release clauses to get them on longer deals.