Pass, pass, pass, pass

I really enjoy fluid passing football at its best when it’s tearing teams apart but what happened to good old fashioned attacking?

Watching the City vs Liverpool game and like his Bayern side and his Barca side before that Peps City appear to have no plan B. They have the potential to destroy teams but it’s so obvious what they plan on doing. All the other teams left in the competition seem to be able to mix it up a bit whether that be going over the top or hitting a target man and feeding off him or just throw the kitchen sink at it. 

53 minutes ago, piffer said:

I really enjoy fluid passing football at its best when it’s tearing teams apart but what happened to good old fashioned attacking?

Watching the City vs Liverpool game and like his Bayern side and his Barca side before that Peps City appear to have no plan B. They have the potential to destroy teams but it’s so obvious what they plan on doing. All the other teams left in the competition seem to be able to mix it up a bit whether that be going over the top or hitting a target man and feeding off him or just throw the kitchen sink at it. 

Barca Man City Man u paris st germain big spenders yet liverpool get to semi final even after selling their best player good on them

16 minutes ago, casual observer said:

The officials were poor and that ref was awfy fussy in the first half, but to be fair 99/100 times Van Dijk gets a free kick before the first goal, so it wasn’t all one way.

99 times he might, but it wouldn't make it the right decision, not much in it at all but I can see why it would be debated.

If VAR (which I'm not a fan of btw) was in force - the first leg alone could easily have finished 2-1 instead of 3-0 (Salah offside, Sterling non penalty)...and tonight City would certainly have had another goal.

I don't think the challenge on VVD would have been overturned.

13 hours ago, skygod said:

Second minute of the match, ball running out of play. van Dijk - a big CB - might or not be nudged by the slight Sterling.

What he should have done was boot it into the crowd but he kept it in play and gave it away!

Deserved to be punished.

So poor play deserves to be punished by a foul not being awarded? Strange logic. It’s a free kick all day long. Extrapolating that idea Skydog, City deserved not to get a penalty/foul for Sterling’s persistent high board diving, even when they had a legitimate claim.

The ifs, buts and maybes are irrelevant as the much vaunted Man City were second best for the majority of the ties and failed miserably to muster enough shots in target to win it. If they didn’t get a goal chopped off, if VAR was in use? As soon as the first incident is changed, the game changes so no one can then say this or that would have transpired. 5-1 in the record books, the rest is semantics. 

4 hours ago, casual observer said:

So poor play deserves to be punished by a foul not being awarded? Strange logic. It’s a free kick all day long. Extrapolating that idea Skydog, City deserved not to get a penalty/foul for Sterling’s persistent high board diving, even when they had a legitimate claim.

Such poor play deserved to be punished by the chance which City created and scored.

I don't think van Dijk was fouled. Either way, keeping the ball in play and giving it away was rank bad play in the second minute with a three goal lead to protect.

Never keep the ball in play only to give it to the opposition. Play to the whistle at all times.

Edited by skygod

Watching Real vs Juve now and Juventus have brought pace power and chaos in the first ten minutes. Scored a quick goal like City but kept going at that tempo and only denied a second by great goalkeeping from Navas. What’s noticeable about Juve and Roma last night is they seem to have a real hunger and desire about them which City didn’t.  

9 minutes ago, piffer said:

Watching Real vs Juve now and Juventus have brought pace power and chaos in the first ten minutes. Scored a quick goal like City but kept going at that tempo and only denied a second by great goalkeeping from Navas. What’s noticeable about Juve and Roma last night is they seem to have a real hunger and desire about them which City didn’t.  

I think you're being way overly critical. I don't think there was any hunger or desire missing, as I say it's fine margins and Liverpool defended well and got the benefit of the refereeing decisions on top of that.

6 hours ago, casual observer said:

The ifs, buts and maybes are irrelevant as the much vaunted Man City were second best for the majority of the ties and failed miserably to muster enough shots in target to win it. If they didn’t get a goal chopped off, if VAR was in use? As soon as the first incident is changed, the game changes so no one can then say this or that would have transpired. 5-1 in the record books, the rest is semantics. 

You'e correct in a way, but it would have been interesting to see how the tie would have developed had the major decisions been awarded correctly. City were the team in the ascendancy before Salah scored the first, all be it they then went to pot for 20 minutes or so afterwards. They were also in the ascendancy before Sane's goal was chopped off, both decisions had major knock on effects on the rest of each game and were major setbacks at vital times as far as city are concerned. 

In any case, the damage was compounded by City's complete inability to break down a good Liverpool defence, particularly when 3 down at Anfield. Andy Robertson and Alexander Arnold at the other side were first class, and it only bodes well for Scotland that Robertson is performing in that way.

17 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

I think you're being way overly critical. I don't think there was any hunger or desire missing, as I say it's fine margins and Liverpool defended well and got the benefit of the refereeing decisions on top of that.

I didn’t see City players winning their personal battles and dominating 50/50s. Tonight although there antics are questionable Juve are determined to win things. Yes they are conceding possession and chances but they seem to want it so much more than City did. Last night Roma were colossal. Manolas the CB was winning everything no matter who he had to go through to get there. They hunted in packs and didn’t have any more to give. Looking at City too many players you look at and say your better than that. 

6 minutes ago, piffer said:

I didn’t see City players winning their personal battles and dominating 50/50s. Tonight although there antics are questionable Juve are determined to win things. Yes they are conceding possession and chances but they seem to want it so much more than City did. Last night Roma were colossal. Manolas the CB was winning everything no matter who he had to go through to get there. They hunted in packs and didn’t have any more to give. Looking at City too many players you look at and say your better than that. 

We'll agree to disagree almost entirely in that case then as I thought City players stuck in well and were winning tackles all over the pitch in the first half last night.

Every time Liverpool's front three got near the ball they were surrounded, saw Mane in particular on the deck several times demanding a free kick, Fernandinho the stand out player in that regard.

The game changed when Liverpool equalised and it was effectively over from then, as such heads went down.