Aaron simpson

Thebigguy68

Obviously he seen limited action but quite like what I seen. I’m in Telford tonight visiting in laws and ended up in pub with group of Telford season ticket holders watching city Liverpool game ( around 20). They slated him and found it “funny” he was in Scottish top flight. Probed but no more specific feedback other than he was lucky to get game for Telford.

They are still in the relegation places. 

I certainly don’t think it's a case of Telford supporters being arrogant! 

It was a “funny strange” transfer for us to make. 

He was sent on a season-long loan by Wolves to a sixth-tier club they frequently use to farm out youngsters. 

He didn't play much and was recalled by Wolves in January for unknown reasons. Next thing, he is plucked out by Killie on loan for the rest of the season. 

He is originally from Maidstone in Kent so maybe Dyer had some gen on him. 

His contract at Wolves is up in the summer so, if he makes a good impression, we might offer him a contract. 

If not, he’ll join a long list of loanees whose names we’ll struggle to remember in years to come. 

Edited by skygod

10 hours ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Obviously he seen limited action but quite like what I seen. I’m in Telford tonight visiting in laws and ended up in pub with group of Telford season ticket holders watching city Liverpool game ( around 20). They slated him and found it “funny” he was in Scottish top flight. Probed but no more specific feedback other than he was lucky to get game for Telford.

Andy Robertson was playing for travelling expenses exactly 5 years ago yesterday losing 2-0 in front of 300 fans at Annan.

He's now 24 and in a CL Semi Final.

Players develop at a different rates from others but Simpson is playing at a decent level and without even looking up Telfords league, I'm guessing it's a hell of a lot lower than the SPFL playing teams like themselves who have gone bust, came back again and been stuck in the doldrums of English non league football playing in front of two men and dug.

15 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

I wonder what Luton fans think of SOD? 

It's amazing to think that Power, O'Donnell and Dicker were all signed from League 2/Conference Premier level. It just shows you the quality that can occasionally be found at that level if it's scouted well enough.

15 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It's amazing to think that Power, O'Donnell and Dicker were all signed from League 2/Conference Premier level. It just shows you the quality that can occasionally be found at that level if it's scouted well enough.

Agreed. But a lot can be said about players around you and how it enhances your own performance.

I mind when I played with a team who had three squads. If first team didn't have a game, some of us played with third team to help them out which was levels below the standard we played at.

My worst ever games of football was at that level, partly my attitude probably and partly down to the general standard around you. You end up performing at that level.

As mentioned above, Andy Robertson could be the first Scottish player (I think) since Lambert to win the European Cup... and he was in lowest tier of the professional football setup in Scotland a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Agreed. But a lot can be said about players around you and how it enhances your own performance.

I mind when I played with a team who had three squads. If first team didn't have a game, some of us played with third team to help them out which was levels below the standard we played at.

My worst ever games of football was at that level, partly my attitude probably and partly down to the general standard around you. You end up performing at that level.

As mentioned above, Andy Robertson could be the first Scottish player (I think) since Lambert to win the European Cup... and he was in lowest tier of the professional football setup in Scotland a few years ago.

Think Fletcher won it at Man Utd, although he was a sub.

Was cheated out a Final Place before that after getting sent off at Arsenal.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

They are still in the relegation places. 

I certainly don’t think it's a case of Telford supporters being arrogant! 

It was a “funny strange” transfer for us to make. 

He was sent on a season-long loan by Wolves to a sixth-tier club they frequently use to farm out youngsters. 

He didn't play much and was recalled by Wolves in January for unknown reasons. Next thing, he is plucked out by Killie on loan for the rest of the season. 

He is originally from Maidstone in Kent so maybe Dyer had some gen on him. 

His contract at Wolves is up in the summer so, if he makes a good impression, we might offer him a contract. 

If not, he’ll join a long list of loanees whose names we’ll struggle to remember in years to come. 

true and not only loanees ---- think a lot of the permanent signings we made before SC --- many of whom barely lasted a season will be a struggle to recall in future ...

As for Simpson -- he came in as cover in case of injuries - had couple of decent short appearances in the first team but hard for fans to gauge any credentials for making him a permanent signing -- though the Management team have had a chance to watch him in day to day training and how he has adapted to the club , Scotland etc 

12 hours ago, Thebigguy68 said:

You don't want to be associating with people like that.

I've spoken to a few killie fans who reckon we should be signing english championship or premiership reserves.

When mentioning lower league players I've been scoffed at. There is talent in the lower leagues however it is sparce. The problem is, if they are any good, there will be lots of suitors as expected given the market we are in.

Does somebody really want to move from the Midlands (example) to Scotland for 50k a year when similar offers will be available locally to them? 

19 minutes ago, azertyuiop said:

Does somebody really want to move from the Midlands (example) to Scotland for 50k a year when similar offers will be available locally to them? 

Maybe, aye. You might be on the same money but you're getting the opportunity to play in stadiums in front of 20k-50k fans when you go to the Old Firm, Aberdeen and Edinburgh sides. A club such as us if we can continue our form into next season then there's the potential to qualify for European competition by playing at the top level in Scotland. That has to be more appealing than playing for MK Dons or Notts County?

Edited by Fletch

Yes if the lure of playing in front of 50k crowds in Glasgow, 15k+ crowds in Edinburgh & Aberdeen and making a name for yourself with the possibility of national cup finals and a future move with financial rewards attached appeals. Or stick to conference/league 2 hoofball in front of 1500-5000 folk and be another minnow in a sea of minnows. 

7 hours ago, Scouser2 said:

true and not only loanees ---- think a lot of the permanent signings we made before SC --- many of whom barely lasted a season will be a struggle to recall in future ...

As for Simpson -- he came in as cover in case of injuries - had couple of decent short appearances in the first team but hard for fans to gauge any credentials for making him a permanent signing -- though the Management team have had a chance to watch him in day to day training and how he has adapted to the club , Scotland etc 

Simpson tweeted during the last international break.... "It was nice to get home see the family for a couple of days but can't wait to get back up the road now"

He obviously has a good attitude and is enjoying his time here and appears to have settled in well at Killie.

2 hours ago, azertyuiop said:

Playing well enough to get a move to the OF, or playing well enough to get you a move from MK Dons to Doncaster mmmmm!

My Luton supporting pal from down South said SOD was ok, nothing special but I notice that he did play most weeks for them. He also said big Kroca was rubbish when we signed him.

I think Darren Fletcher didn't play in the final as he was sent off right at the end of the semi-final v Arsenal. I was at that game and he was man of the match. 

Speaking of players who didn't make it, I would be interested to know what happened to Alex Pursehouse as I remember Kenny Shiels defending his awful performance to someone and saying that he was a real gem who had great potential. Anyone know where he is?

Edited by historyman

7 minutes ago, historyman said:

Speaking of players who didn't make it, I would be interested to know what happened to Alex Pursehouse as I remember Kenny Shiels defending his awful performance to someone and saying that he was a real gem who had great potential. Anyone know where he is?

Last club I can see was Sheffield F.C. last season. Similar level to Gordon.