Ronaldo's Penalty.

Three questions

1. Was it a penalty?

2. What was the boy thinking trying to control in there?

3. How good was the penalty?

I thought it was a penalty. Soft perhaps but there’s contact and he’s nowhere near the ball. Why Vasquez is chancing it in the six yard area trying to bring it down is beyond me with Buffon and the defender closing in. Surely he’s got to be finishing that first time. Finally I thought it was a class penalty. We’ve seen plenty of guys crumble in those situations but Ronaldo kept his composure. Couldn’t see many people saving that. Give me one of those over a player trying to fool the keeper with eyes or a staggered run any day. 

1. Definitely.

2. I don't know the player but he didn't look like a natural finisher.

3. Well struck.

Buffon lost a lot of goodwill with his reaction and moreso his comments about Oliver destroying dreams, or whatever. 

Does he think the ref should take into account the match situation when making a decision? I hope his disappointment just got the better of him.

UEFA will throw the book at him but he couldn't care less now.

Great to see Juventus and Roma overturning what looked insurmountable positions, even if Juve came unstuck. Makes a  great change  from the usual Champions League predictability.   

Edited by skygod

It’s a definite penalty, Benatia has two hands on his back and it’s probably why he hasn’t just stuck it in the net as he was off balance. Can’t honeslty believe people don’t think that’s a penalty, he’s came in from behind and took the guy out! 

Ronaldo’s penalty was different class, but his leap to win the ball and knock it back in to Vasquez to initially win the penalty was just as important. He must be the best player aerial wise when attacking the ball in the opponents box. Will always remember that header against Roma in the CL, he is absolutely un-playable.

12 hours ago, bute-killiefan said:

Notice it's folk who consider him the best that agree it was a pen. His dramatics and diving will always put him behind Messi imo

Name a top player who doesn't dive?

Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Bale etc are all masters at it.