Dean Hawkshaw

skygod

"Kilmarnock midfielder Dean Hawkshaw will be on the look-out for a new club this summer.

Record Sport can reveal that there will be a parting of ways after five years at Rugby Park.

Ayrshire boss Steve Clarke has deemed Hawkshaw surplus to requirements after informing the 20 year-old that his contract will not be renewed at the end of the current campaign.

Hawkshaw has made 22 appearances for Kilmarnock and became a first team regular under former management duo Lee McCulloch and Peter Leven, featuring 16 times last season.

However the arrival of Clarke at Rugby Park back in October quickly signalled the end for Hawkshaw.

He fell down the former West Brom and Reading boss' pecking order and made just two last minute substitute appearances against Hearts and St Johnstone before being put out on loan to League One side Stranraer during the January transfer window."

Best of luck to him in the future.

Can see this being the case with a few, I could imagine SC being quite ruthless with the remaining pool of out of contract players.

Disappointed it didn't work out for Hawkshaw. Under Lee Clark he looked like he was going to be a very good player. He just never really came back from his injury. It's also got to the point where you need to be very good to get into a Kilmarnock side now.

I don’t think we ever saw that midfield play as a unit together again. Was it Dicker holding with a three of Hawkshaw, Taylor and Frizzell in front of him then Kiltie behind the striker? 

For me there was just something about Hawkshaw that said he might not make it but there was talent there and there never seemed an attitude issue. Again it seems to be versatility. The boys that are making it with the club have one or maybe two positions. Taylor plays CM or LB. after a brief flirtation with RB Wilson is either CM or CB. Kiltie is either wide or No10. Only occasionally you’ll see a Fowler or McKenzie who does a job in a few more. First team alone I think I watched Hawkshaw play RB, as a holding midfielder, CM, No10 and on either wing. Coming in with no defined role and not standing out in any particular position. Showing just enough to give you hope but not kicking on.