Second Place?

KTIDanny85

I dont see why we cant get second place. Rangers and Aberdeen are falling apart internally and I dont see either of those two taking points from anyone apart from Hearts. Obv they play each other but hopefully thats a draw. Hibs and us are the two teams I see finishing 2nd and 3rd and I can see us going unbeaten in these last 5 games, genuinely dont see why we cant win all of them. Hibs will be the toughest game I believe, time we get to Celtic they will have the title wrapped up and most likely field a slightly weaker team. Rangers as I mentioned are falling apart, they could easily go these remaining games and not win one. Aberdeen will no doubt be a difficult game but they clearly have issues at the moment and with our momentum I dont see why we cant beat them. 

We would really have to win all 5 for any chance of that and I just can't see it. Even for fourth we are hoping for HIbs to go on a poor run and for us to still win 3/4 of them. 

IF we can beat Aberdeen at home and then Celtic do us a favour at Easter Road then we go there with a great chance of putting pressure on them for the final European spot. Even if we don't win again for the rest of the season it has been a great run. Let's just hope we can finish on a high!

20 minutes ago, skygod said:

The problem with that is that they are all playing one another and the points have to go somewhere.

A good few draws when the others play each other coupled with us continuing to win and things could get interesting. Just delighted to be in this position to be honest and not scrapping for survival. Good days.

I would have thought that second place would be almost mathematically impossible. 

There are only 45 points to play for (five rounds of 9 points). We could at most win fifteen of them- an almost impossible scenario meaning an eleven match winning run to end the season. I'm not sure that either of the Old Firm have ever come close to that. 

If Celtic and Hearts won twelve points out of fifteen, there would still be six points left. If Hibs won all six then we would finish above both Aberdeen and Rangers in second. 

13 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

It's almost impossible for us to finish second because of other results. Third is just within the realms of possibility if we win basically all our games and hope other teams do us favours. The gap to third is down to four points if we win on Saturday. 

Fourth is definitely doable. 

if we can finish 3rd then we can finish 2nd seeing as they are both on the same points, yes there’s a massive goal difference but to say 2nd is impossible yet 3rd is a possibility when there’s no point difference is just daft, both are a possibility yet unlikely and as you say 4th is definitely doable 

I can see us catching one of the teams above us. Something in my head is saying it won’t be Hibs  and more likely Aberdeen or Rangers. Much as he is a detestable wee  cretin Lennon has a winning mentality and his team is doing well. They’ve glided through the season almost unnoticed. The wheels have once again come off at Aberdeen with McInnes linked to another job. He was banking on a cup win for his legacy. People have questioned him in recent months and his players have proved they are bottlers when the chips are down. Sevco today were a joke. Not only is he out of his depth Murty appears to have lost the dressing room. Publicly attacking Bates decision and branding the player a gold digger won’t sit well. Halliday reacted badly to being subbed. Not the managers fault he didn’t take it well but despite being pish he’s an influence in the dressing room and loved by the masses as one of them. Candeias reacted badly to being subbed as well. For a lot of the season he has been the shining light. A lot of Rangers best stuff went through him. 

We need to keep doing what we are. We’ve got a good run going and playing without pressure. 

3 minutes ago, Scotty79 said:

if we can finish 3rd then we can finish 2nd seeing as they are both on the same points, yes there’s a massive goal difference but to say 2nd is impossible yet 3rd is a possibility when there’s no point difference is just daft, both are a possibility yet unlikely and as you say 4th is definitely doable 

The lack of logic behind this is hurting my head. Yes second and third are on same points just now but it's not a static thing - not as simple as saying that if we can catch third on 62 then we can catch second. It's all dependent on other teams. Rangers in second might not lost a game after the split whereas Aberdeen in third might lose every game. 

For instance, to overtake Aberdeen might require us, Hibs and Rangers all beating them - which makes catching Hibs and Rangers, and ultimately overtaking them for second, harder. You must see that?

1 hour ago, KTIDanny85 said:

I dont see why we cant get second place. Rangers and Aberdeen are falling apart internally and I dont see either of those two taking points from anyone apart from Hearts. Obv they play each other but hopefully thats a draw. Hibs and us are the two teams I see finishing 2nd and 3rd and I can see us going unbeaten in these last 5 games, genuinely dont see why we cant win all of them. Hibs will be the toughest game I believe, time we get to Celtic they will have the title wrapped up and most likely field a slightly weaker team. Rangers as I mentioned are falling apart, they could easily go these remaining games and not win one. Aberdeen will no doubt be a difficult game but they clearly have issues at the moment and with our momentum I dont see why we cant beat them. 

That's the scapegoat sorted...

35 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

....an eleven match winning run to end the season. I'm not sure that either of the Old Firm have ever come close to that. 

Don't know if it was the end of the season but Celtic won 25 consecutive league SPL matches in 2003/04.

Killie won 15 consecutive in 1959/60.

26 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

The lack of logic behind this is hurting my head. Yes second and third are on same points just now but it's not a static thing - not as simple as saying that if we can catch third on 62 then we can catch second. It's all dependent on other teams. Rangers in second might not lost a game after the split whereas Aberdeen in third might lose every game. 

For instance, to overtake Aberdeen might require us, Hibs and Rangers all beating them - which makes catching Hibs and Rangers, and ultimately overtaking them for second, harder. You must see that?

Its called hypothetical 

With unbelievable fortune and 5 wins it is certainly possible to make up 7 points on one team

To make up 7 points on two teams is in the realms of sub 1% probability and to make up 7 points on two teams AND make up 4 points on a third is away down in the sub 0.1% probability territory. PS I have not done the calculations properly and no doubt someone will be able to do the sums properly.

So, with 5 wins it is almost impossible to finish 2nd, it is highly unlikely (but still possible) to finish 3rd and it is eminently possible to finish 4th.

To be realistic the way we've been playing last few games we will be fifth but our players have got hearts like lions so you never know -----big one on Saturday against those overrated sheep c**ts if we get a win there you just never know ,anyway what a season --October onwards --  we are killie super killie

2nd is possible.

Ceptic 4 wins 87

Killie 5 wins 70

*anger* 3 defeats (Killie, Ceptic Hearts) 2 draws (Hibs Dons) 64

Aberdeen 3 defeats (Killie, Ceptic Hearts) 2 draws (Hibs *anger*)   64

Hibs 3 defeats (Killie, Ceptic Hearts) 2 draws (Dons *anger*)61

Hearts 3 wins (Hibs *anger* Dons) 55

So even with 4 wins we could end up 2nd.

Edited by MrTumnus
Severe numptiness of the poster. Hearts wins ammended. But makes no difference to positions.

48 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

of course i can see that, i actually think that @MrTumnus’s final table prediction is the most likely outcome 

3 minutes ago, MrTumnus said:

2nd is possible.

Ceptic 4 wins 87

Killie 5 wins 70

*anger* 3 defeats 2 draws 64

Aberdeen 3 defeats 2 draws   64

Hibs 3 defeats 2 draws 61

Hearts 4 wins 58

So even with 4 wins we could end up 2nd.

Without delving too deep it is simply not possible for us to win 5 games and both Hearts and Celtic to win 4 games as they cant both beat each other!