Lee Clark on Steve Clarke and Billy Bowie

kfc_superteam

15 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Bury offered compensation. Was there anyone in charge at the time that might have wanted the deal to go through since it involved money? 

Asking for a friend. 

What I thought at the time but slaughtered on here for offering that opinion.

Edited by Philo
seplling!

Johnston was, it seemed to me, genuinely infuriated by Clark’s departure. 

That may have been down to some deception at the time, eg had the deal between Clark and Bury been done some time before but delayed until his first anniversary so the compensation was reduced?

Or because it left us managerless for the second time in a year and not yet clear of relegation? 

He did not seem like a man who was happy at having a financial windfall. 

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, skygod said:

Peter Houston was saying on Sportsound on Saturday that Falkirk were out on their feet before the play-off final after having to play Hibs twice.

Did he?  Well that's definitely true then - a football manager would certainly never stoop to blaming external circumstances when his team get absolutely rodgered.

7 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

I think it was a fair enough comment. The play-off is heavily weighted in favour of the SPL side. 

The teams in the Championship could look to get only the runner up straight into a play-off if this is so unfair, but they don't so they know what they are getting into.

As for that particular play-off, Kilmarnock (who were a poor team in the Premier League) were a way better team than Falkirk in both games. That counted for more than any tiredness.

10 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

I think it was a fair enough comment. The play-off is heavily weighted in favour of the SPL side. 

I'm always suspicious of this line you see.  For me the biggest advantage that the SPL side has in the playoff is the massive gulf in quality between tiers 1 & 2 in Scotland - a gulf that the media have been anxiously playing down in the last few years since some of the perceived "big boys" have been playing in the lower league.  Ergo this excuse of structural advantage is exaggerated.

The week prior to the playoff, the SPL team will genuinely play Sat/Wed/Sat, more often than not in absolute six-pointers against other teams looking to avoid it.  Admittedly, there is the extra midweek that a team in 3rd or 4th would have to play in the preceding week - but Falkirk themselves avoided that by finishing 2nd.  Also, having played in winning teams and losing teams, it's been my experience that fatigue has a far bigger impact on the latter.

There is undoubtedly a significant advantage for the top division team from playing the second leg at home - but I think it's a straighter game than is made out.

5 hours ago, Estragon said:

Did he?  Well that's definitely true then - a football manager would certainly never stoop to blaming external circumstances when his team get absolutely rodgered.

A very cynical response. 

The context was that he was asked what, if any,  disadvantages the Championship teams have in the play-offs; whether the extra round they had to play was a factor.

He didn’t offer it up as some sort of excuse for something which happened two years ago but as an observation in reply to a pointed question.

He had no reason to lie, nor did he say that it was the sole reason why Falkirk lost. 

He just said that his team was tired before the matches. 

Edited by skygod