Wenger, Rogers and managerial merrygoround

15 minutes ago, Bbk said:

Or maybe he would take the Chelsea job or the Spurs job or any other decent job backing in English football nearer to where his family are rather than Celtic  so maybe by using this logic I must be delusional then?

Yes, if you think Chelsea or Spurs would come knocking. I know we all live in a bubble in Rugby Road, but reality..????

22 minutes ago, Bbk said:

Or maybe he would take the Chelsea job or the Spurs job or any other decent job backing in English football nearer to where his family are rather than Celtic  so maybe by using this logic I must be delusional then?

I think you're both right tbh. 

The only things we have going for us is that he's made his money down south already, and says he intends to see out his KFC contract (rather than move to another Scottish club). He seems like a man of his word, so I'd really hope he would stay if Celtic approached us directly, but the lure there is obvious I'm terms of funds, CL football etc. 

The biggest chance we have of "losing" him is if a decent offer came in from an English club, like you said, his family are still down there. I'd imagine a year or two down there and then we could very well see him at Celtic after that. 

Let's hope we get another 2 belting seasons out him first though, which I really do think (hope!) we will! 

Edited by jesper

1 hour ago, bute-killiefan said:

I'm sure you said the same thing about the Rangers job. 

I didn't actually, but  I think the Celtic job, with the salary, the European challenge and the fact that they don't have the Sevco "baggage"  would make it impossible for him to turn down. 

11 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

I didn't actually, but  I think the Celtic job, with the salary, the European challenge and the fact that they don't have the Sevco "baggage"  would make it impossible for him to turn down. 

I'll take your word for it. I agree regarding Celtic. It's the only team in Scotland I can see him leaving us for

My two cents.

I don’t think Rodgers has done enough at Celtic so far to restore his reputation down South. The hammerings in Europe from Barca and PSG in the last couple of years have done a bit of damage despite the differences between the teams etc. The manner in which they went out to Zenit this season will also be noted. The possibility of two trebles is an achievement but big clubs looking for big managers would expect that as a minimum requirement from a Celtic manager. 

For me Arsenal will look for a big name. This is a crucial point in their future. Can they get back in with the big boys or do they risk getting cut adrift for years to come. I think they’ll go big and back them financially. 

As for Clarke taking the Celtic job were it available. Yes I think he’d be interested. Realistically who wouldn’t be no matter your allegiances if it was a side step or step up from your current club. Decent wages first of all. Competing for trophies. A chance at European football on a regular basis. And if successful there is a path to an even bigger job. It’s also a well run club with good facilities and business model. The negatives are clearly the goldfish bowl and knuckle draggers who come as part of the package. 

3 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Could be worth a punt

Enrique or Anchelotti look a decent punt.  Remember 1-0 to the Aresnal and George Graham won stuff playing defensive Anchelotti style football.

They may go back to the old school, rather than the obvious ex Barcelona Wenger evolutionary replacement.

Depends if they want to win stuff, will be difficult to replicate Barcelona with Man City being managed by Pep..

35 minutes ago, skygod said:

We criticise the media for linking Clarke with job vacancies but a few on here seem to live in a permanent state of anxiety about whether Clarke will leave whenever a vacancy arises.

Wenger? Rodgers? Nothing to do with Killie. Get it to YNTTK.

Typically with you. Rangers etc...no chance. Thought I’d post on the basis that (1) Rogers link with arsesnal sounded more credible given Desmond comments (2) Celtic a proper job in uk terms. If 1 correct think 2 comes in as a possible conversation to be had. Many think 1 is not reasonable. So, no worries then.

Maybe I am hopelessly naive, but Sir Steve seems like a guy who means what he says. He has said that he won't leave Killie for another Scottish club, and that he will head south when his time here is up, therefore that is what he will do. Having spent 30 years in England, he will have a very different perspective on the Glasgow goldfish bowl, and I suspect that he doesn't find it very attractive. Once C*ltic clinch their successive trebles this season, the only way is down for them. Even maintaining that level of success would lose its novelty.

Suspecting that SSC is a closet C*ltic fan, or even that he 'prefers' C*ltic, just because he attended a Catholic school is the kind of conspiracy theory that the idiots on F*llowF*llow lap up - I have never seen a quote from him saying anything other than he supported Killie as a boy.