Let's be realistic

SouthsideKillie

Just now, Fankle said:

Rangers 2 up on Hearts, pretty much assures us 5th place.  Might as well go for broke next week...

Disappointing. Absolutely despise seeing them win against anybody. Even it was a combined Waffen SS and Islamic State eleven with Harold Shipman in goals

7 hours ago, skygod said:

I’ll be quite happy if Rangers beat Hearts today and help us consolidate fifth place.

Talk during the week about permutations whereby we could finish second were flights of fancy. 

Fifth is a great achievement and about where we deserve to be. Any  higher will be a bonus, but is probably out of reach now. 

4th was always unlikely but the SPFL made sure it was near impossible with the post-split fixture schedule.

2 hours ago, david mcbeth said:

Disappointing. Absolutely despise seeing them win against anybody. Even it was a combined Waffen SS and Islamic State eleven with Harold Shipman in goals

Would be difficult for any team playing against a side with Shipman in goal...the injection he'd give anybody would be something else indeed. 

When we won the League after finishing runners-up four times, did we think we were punching above our weight ? When we drew with the Real Madrid of Gento and Puskas and with the great Leeds team of the sixties, was there any mumbling about being realistic ? There is a generation of supporters so brainwashed and browbeaten by the media frenzy surrounding the OF and the top six of the English Premier League that the idea of a provincial team being consistently good and worthy of our support is quite alien. Get this clear; we have always given a good account of ourselves, sometimes against great odds, as in the asinine decision to go part-time which nearly ended in our demise. We are Killie, for God's sake, and you should listen to the increasing (albeit grudging) respect we get from supporters of other, lesser sides. They at least know the history  and can see us making it again.

4 minutes ago, jasper said:

When we won the League after finishing runners-up four times, did we think we were punching above our weight ? When we drew with the Real Madrid of Gento and Puskas and with the great Leeds team of the sixties, was there any mumbling about being realistic ? There is a generation of supporters so brainwashed and browbeaten by the media frenzy surrounding the OF and the top six of the English Premier League that the idea of a provincial team being consistently good and worthy of our support is quite alien. Get this clear; we have always given a good account of ourselves, sometimes against great odds, as in the asinine decision to go part-time which nearly ended in our demise. We are Killie, for God's sake, and you should listen to the increasing (albeit grudging) respect we get from supporters of other, lesser sides. They at least know the history  and can see us making it again.

Where’s your red line? Should Clarke be sacked if we only finish 5th or will you cut him some slack as he wasn’t here for the start of the season? I assume you’ll want him gone if he doesn’t win the league next season, but how long are you willing to give him to win the Champions league? I’m genuinely interested in how bay-s**t mental you’ve become after our best season in a while. 

18 minutes ago, jasper said:

Good post. I think it's different times now (obviously), and perhaps you'd consider me in the generation who're brainwashed and browbeaten by the media frenzy surrounding the OF etc. However I genuinely feel Killie have a limit to what they can achieve because of the way the game is now centered around money. My dad (70 today) followed Killie (still does) in the sixties and I was brought up on Killie stories of then and the games you mentioned re: Leeds, Real Madrid, runners-up several times etc. It would be fantastic if I could see Killie recreate something similar, but as much as I like your positivity and your post in general, I very much doubt we'll ever see that nowadays. 

This season has been great and I'm really looking forward to next season to see what can be achieved....

...The above sentence alone is concerning because I won't be alone in feeling that way, and sometimes great expectancy is followed by an anti-climax. 

We can still dream though. 

Furthermore; the final of the French Cup will be held between PSG (of Neymar, etc.) and Les Herbiers, a village team from the Vendée district, whose stadium holds 5000 tops. We are not alone in exceeding our reach. We never have "known our place", except that it is better than the place the Scottish Press reserve for us.

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

Where’s your red line? Should Clarke be sacked if we only finish 5th or will you cut him some slack as he wasn’t here for the start of the season? I assume you’ll want him gone if he doesn’t win the league next season, but how long are you willing to give him to win the Champions league? I’m genuinely interested in how bay-s**t mental you’ve become after our best season in a while. 

WTF is your problem, a fellow fan makes a statement of ambition with some realism folded in and is trying to ‘gee our ginger’ (motivate, encourage) a bit and you slaughter him. Unbelievable......

1 hour ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Good post. I think it's different times now (obviously), and perhaps you'd consider me in the generation who're brainwashed and browbeaten by the media frenzy surrounding the OF etc. However I genuinely feel Killie have a limit to what they can achieve because of the way the game is now centered around money. My dad (70 today) followed Killie (still does) in the sixties and I was brought up on Killie stories of then and the games you mentioned re: Leeds, Real Madrid, runners-up several times etc. It would be fantastic if I could see Killie recreate something similar, but as much as I like your positivity and your post in general, I very much doubt we'll ever see that nowadays. 

This season has been great and I'm really looking forward to next season to see what can be achieved....

...The above sentence alone is concerning because I won't be alone in feeling that way, and sometimes great expectancy is followed by an anti-climax. 

We can still dream though. 

Spot on, an adult measured response.

Of course all true Killie fans would like to hope/dream that our wee Ayrshire team could achieve as high a league position as possible but let's be honest that this season we would all have accepted not being in the dreaded play off spot and because we have done that and much more we are now being a tad greedy I for one am totally happy with our wonderful season and looking forward to next seasons journey!!!

20 minutes ago, Loudoun Killie said:

WTF is your problem, a fellow fan makes a statement of ambition with some realism folded in and is trying to ‘gee our ginger’ (motivate, encourage) a bit and you slaughter him. Unbelievable......

Realism? There isn’t a shred of realism in his entire post. Ambition is also fine, but it’s realistic to acknowledge the club in its current state has limitations. Leo Messi is quite possibly the greatest player the world has ever seen, however it would have been unrealistic to play him in La Liga when he was ten, no matter how enthusiastic anyone was about him. Like our club he needed time to grow. Success takes time and gradual development. There are no shortcuts even if you’re gee’d up

As for having a problem, you follow me around like a lost puppy, is it infatuation or something more sinister?

1 hour ago, jasper said:

Furthermore; the final of the French Cup will be held between PSG (of Neymar, etc.) and Les Herbiers, a village team from the Vendée district, whose stadium holds 5000 tops. We are not alone in exceeding our reach. We never have "known our place", except that it is better than the place the Scottish Press reserve for us.

I’ll take PSG to win, how much would you be willing to bet on Les Herbiers?

I take issue with Jasper's post where he insinuates people are saying that we are "punching above our weight".

Or worse, that they think "the idea of a provincial team being consistently good and worthy of our support is quite alien". :o

This is total fantasy - I don't think anybody has said anything remotely along these lines. Realism has been based on the pure arithmetic of giving the rest of the division a head start - 17 points in the case of Celtic and Aberdeen - and running out of matches.

I think Jasper's had a few too many Pastis in the hot Midi sunshine and is getting a little sentimental!

Edited by skygod

9 minutes ago, Rml said:

Anyone looking at finishing 2nd or 3rd before yesterdays game has no grasp of basic maths nevermind football.

Basic maths said we could do it.

Applied maths(probability) said it was very unlikely.

Basic maths said Hibs could have been relegated a few seasons ago.

Applied maths said it was very unlikely.

It still happened.

1 hour ago, MrTumnus said:

Basic maths said we could do it.

Applied maths(probability) said it was very unlikely.

Basic maths said Hibs could have been relegated a few seasons ago.

Applied maths said it was very unlikely.

It still happened.

Do you think 2nd or 3rd was likely?