Let's be realistic

SouthsideKillie

7 hours ago, jasper said:

When we won the League after finishing runners-up four times, did we think we were punching above our weight ? When we drew with the Real Madrid of Gento and Puskas and with the great Leeds team of the sixties, was there any mumbling about being realistic ? There is a generation of supporters so brainwashed and browbeaten by the media frenzy surrounding the OF and the top six of the English Premier League that the idea of a provincial team being consistently good and worthy of our support is quite alien. Get this clear; we have always given a good account of ourselves, sometimes against great odds, as in the asinine decision to go part-time which nearly ended in our demise. We are Killie, for God's sake, and you should listen to the increasing (albeit grudging) respect we get from supporters of other, lesser sides. They at least know the history  and can see us making it again.

Yuk . 

I was one who thought we could get 4th and maybe 3rd if we continued our good form, but it would likely mean winning nearly every game. However with the way the results have went this weekend, I think even 4th is out of reach now realistically,and I think I speak for all of us who have been accused of not dreaming enough and being too realistic, we all held out some hope that we could win every game and a miracle could happen. You can be realistic and still hold out hope, we gave other teams too far a head start, even if we win every game, I cant see hibs losing 3 games from 4. However next season if we maintain our form since Clarke came in, we will be right in the mix for Europe and even dabble in a title fight. I know realistically it wont happen, but I can but dream. 

Given this weekend's results, achieving 4th will be a very tall order but not impossible.

I think Hearts will fade out - from what i saw yesterday, they were practically begging Rangers to score by gifting the ball at every opportunity and playing hospital passes across the edge of the box. At this point, i'd be disappointed not to finish 5th.

A remarkable turnaround thus far but we have 4 games to go. I hope to see a response from Saturday's defeat and get as many points as possible from the remaining 12 available.

13 hours ago, Zorro said:

Realism? There isn’t a shred of realism in his entire post. Ambition is also fine, but it’s realistic to acknowledge the club in its current state has limitations. Leo Messi is quite possibly the greatest player the world has ever seen, however it would have been unrealistic to play him in La Liga when he was ten, no matter how enthusiastic anyone was about him. Like our club he needed time to grow. Success takes time and gradual development. There are no shortcuts even if you’re gee’d up

As for having a problem, you follow me around like a lost puppy, is it infatuation or something more sinister?

Realism? Says Brigadoon Man :)  

8 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Leicester were 5000-1 ;) 

Not with 4 games to go and they were 8 points ahead. They were odds on.

You are comparing two totally different scenarios.

We are stuck in no mans land with 4 games to go so how on earth can you compare the two? Even before Saturday we were a massive price to finish anywhere other than 5th.

3 hours ago, thesnowman21 said:

I was one who thought we could get 4th and maybe 3rd if we continued our good form, but it would likely mean winning nearly every game. However with the way the results have went this weekend, I think even 4th is out of reach now realistically,and I think I speak for all of us who have been accused of not dreaming enough and being too realistic, we all held out some hope that we could win every game and a miracle could happen. You can be realistic and still hold out hope, we gave other teams too far a head start, even if we win every game, I cant see hibs losing 3 games from 4. However next season if we maintain our form since Clarke came in, we will be right in the mix for Europe and even dabble in a title fight. I know realistically it wont happen, but I can but dream. 

Why can't it happen, Leicesters dream came true so might ours.

With a first 11, there has been no reason to accept anything less than competing with any team in the league in any venue. The facts are there for all to see. However, without jones and (to a lesser extent) mulumbu, the shape and dynamism of the team changes dramatically. We have coped in games against lesser opposition but I’ve not seen anything that would suggest we can be confident of beating any of the top 6 clubs with this quality missing. This is the realism.

If we can retain jones services and add quality to replace mulumbu, a top class striker and centre back, we have a first 11 That i believe should be aiming for top 4 challenge next year, no question. It’s about players and management. We have a top class manager. We have some very good players (sod, gt, brophy in particular).  It normally takes money to sustain this construct so the bigger supported clubs you would expect to Win out in the long run but in the short run killie can be a major player for a number of years ( like we were late 50s, early/mid 60s). 

But in my opinion the current squad without mulumbu and jones would be where st Johnston are. And retaining and or replacing these guys will not be easy. With them on board as well as the manager, the sky is the limit.

(even though it's not mathematical yet) The fact we're gutted about missing out on europe shows how far we've come. We were odd on for relegation this season.

I've witnessed some of the best games at rugby park in years with a cracking atmosphere to boot. 5-1 scudding of thistle,Celtic and Rangers wins, comeback against Hibs for 2-2 and the best for me 3-2 win against Dundee with ten men. 

We've steadily increased our home attendance from around 3000 to 4500. Things on the up.  

Season as good as over. Very decent effort though so can't be too disappointed.

Would like to see Cameron given more minutes especially if erwin is likely to be out. Boydy still has a season in him but we need to look to other options before we're in dire need of replacing him.

17 minutes ago, red_dug said:

Would like to see Cameron given more minutes especially if erwin is likely to be out. Boydy still has a season in him but we need to look to other options before we're in dire need of replacing him.

I'd like to see us hit 60 points.

That is what we should be aiming for.

2 hours ago, red_dug said:

A win on Saturday and it's game on again. :hurrah: