Fasan your Seatbelts

Thebigguy68

Looked like a soft goal to conceded at crucial time yesterday. This and last weeks ball off the face leave me wondering whether hes a car crash keeper. No doubt he looks a decent shot stopper but the older I get the more I want a “safe and unspectacular” style of keeper. Someone who can catch a ball. He’s got more than a touch of lekovic about him, which although clearly not all bad, I can do without these days. Take the point that’s been made by others that we shouldnt be too quick to judge but I have a bad feeling about him.

I don't blame him one bit for his own goal at Hamilton. Yesterday however he was too slow in getting down for the shot... probably as no one expected McLean to hit a shot from 35 yards on the angle.

We've seen Aberdeens, Hibs, Rangers, Celtic and Ross County keepers (to name a few) have some almighty clangers this year so I'll reserve judgement on Fasan. He's a backup keeper and he's affordable... unlike Bell who would have been on bigger wages.

Last weeks goal was a bit of a shambles. Didn’t seem like a lot he could do about it. Yesterday’s first was a shocker. That’s a routine save for a keeper. Overall in the last two games he’s done pretty well. Kept Accies out when they were on top just before half time with three decent stops. Yesterday an important save at 0-0. Then at 2-0 he’s made three or four decent blocks to keep us within touching distance. 

5 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

Are we back to the days of judging a player on a couple of games- should we post the various threads about Broadfoot, O'Donnell and Power from a few months ago?

You may well be right but give him a bit longer.

I acknowledged the fact that typically we are too quick to judge........that said, you won’t find me having made a single negative comment about those you listed or indeed any other current first team squad player( I have seen many other ones so accept the point)....the one that came of the post at Hamilton was not his fault but the theatrical way he shot to the ground reinforced the vibes I’m getting that he’s not the understated type of number 1 I like. He was badly at fault yesterday for goal. It’s natural to judge goalkeepers a bit quicker than other positions due the direct implications of shortcomings. Time will tell but I’m really hoping Jamie’s injury is resolved before hibs.

12 minutes ago, Ken T said:

MacDonald would have saved that every day of the week.

MacDonald didn't save Mclean's last near post shot, although that was closer in. The standard of keeping in general in the league is absolutely shocking. 

Edited by Chum

1 hour ago, fraz65 said:

Are we back to the days of judging a player on a couple of games...?

Was describing his efforts at the Hamilton goal as "Meldrum-esque" intended as a compliment then?!

Seriously, I agreed with you. If he'd made an effort to reach the shot and the ball had gone in/off, I would have had no complaint. But he gave it up and watched it from the middle of the goal yet was unable to react quickly enough when it flew in his direction.

The frame of the goal is part of the keeper's defence and you have to be prepared for the unexpected.

Just a gut feeling but I wouldn't want him in goal for any length of time.

Edited by skygod

I prefer him.

Hamilton goal was a freak goal...can't blame him for that. Yesterday...from my view it looked like he seen it late, but yea he probably should have done better. 

Overall though...his distribution is better than MacDonald, looked more comfortable coming out for the ball from crosses and when players are through, clearly a good shot stopper as seen yesterday from two great saves and genuinely looks more comfortable footballer.

MacDonald is awkward to watch and I never feel confident with him.

But thats my opinion

3 hours ago, Crocket said:

Overall though...his distribution is better than MacDonald, looked more comfortable coming out for the ball from crosses and when players are through, clearly a good shot stopper as seen yesterday from two great saves and genuinely looks more comfortable footballer.

Game of opinions I'd suppose - I felt his distribution was particularly weak, both at NDP and yesterday.  Very little variety, zero confidence to make a quick release, everything long and fairly hopeful.

I still reserve judgement on the guy.  Ultimately he's likely an inexpensive backup goalkeeper, it's a low risk position.

10 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Game of opinions I'd suppose - I felt his distribution was particularly weak, both at NDP and yesterday.  Very little variety, zero confidence to make a quick release, everything long and fairly hopeful.

I still reserve judgement on the guy.  Ultimately he's likely an inexpensive backup goalkeeper, it's a low risk position.

As you say it's a game of opinions, Macdonald's goal kicks are awful, fasan hits it really long. He even took a free kick back 10 yards yesterday as it was easier for him to keep the distance. I thought his kicks were fairly accurate, hit Boyd time and time again.....Boyd gets noticeably frustrated at MacDonald trying and failing to kick it to his side of the park. 

Again all opinions and preferences, only Clarke's has any effect on the team.

19 minutes ago, Crocket said:

As you say it's a game of opinions, Macdonald's goal kicks are awful, fasan hits it really long. He even took a free kick back 10 yards yesterday as it was easier for him to keep the distance. I thought his kicks were fairly accurate, hit Boyd time and time again.....Boyd gets noticeably frustrated at MacDonald trying and failing to kick it to his side of the park. 

Well this I suppose I agree with.  Although I'm still pleasantly surprised with MacDonald's distribution having seen him at Falkirk quite a few times before he signed for Killie - genuinely 2 or 3 throw ins a game directly from goal kicks...

After watching the first goal back yes Fasan could have done better but it looks to me that he was expecting SOD to stand full on to the shot or stick a leg out to deflect the ball away.

SOD turns side on to the shot which lets the ball through but to be fair on him I think he expected the shot to go wide or Fasan to at least touch it on to or round the post.

To me it was one of those "I thought it/ I thought you would" moments.

For a shot from that distance, a keeper should be hoping that the defender doesn't defect it.

From 30 yards, the keeper should be thinking and hoping that he gets clear sight of the shot and that it touches as few players as possible on the way through. He should back himself to save a shot from 30 yards more than he would a shot from 30 yards deflected on the way.

Edited by skygod