Fasan your Seatbelts

Thebigguy68

Some of the comments are a tad harsh and I think Fasan is a good keeper. Much bigger names than him have come up with absolute howlers in their career (Shilton, Seaman, Hart anyone?) 

The Hamilton goal, as pointed out by someone on this thread, was a freak and could have happened to anyone.

The first Sheep goal looked a bit soft from where we were sitting in the East Stand (middle of the section nearest the Chadwick), but a friend who was in the main stand and had a clear view felt that it wasn't as bad as it looked.

We should note that he made a few cracking saves - including a one-on-one where I was sure they were going to make it 3-0 and the defence let him down for the 2nd after he'd parried the initial shot.

Give him a chance.

I had the same reaction to it as I had to Captain Courageous' ((C) Willie Miller) strike through Jamie Mac at Pittodire i.e. it is an inexplicable goalkeeping howler.

Having seen the replays I can't say any different. He has it in sight for a good 18 yards and looks as if he thinks until last second that it is going by rather than in. 

Not going to make my mind up about him based on one game I've seen of him, so here's a balanced view:

Good save from the early header that looked goal bound, I think it was actually one of our defenders who headed it goalwards. He then looked very uncertain with a ball that came into the box and seemed to be afraid of Stevie May - he really should be coming out decisively for the ball and not caring if he empties the striker in the process. The goal, as discussed above, should not be conceding that from there. 

There was then about 2 or 3 other times where a ball came into the box and he looked petrified and in two minds. 

Two really good blocks from Shinnie and Rooney towards the end. 

Maybe with a run in a team he would build his confidence and 'own' his box a bit better but I thought he looked quite suspect a couple of times with balls coming in. 

• 1 month later...

Would not have fancied having him in the first team for extended spells, just looked too indecisive when balls were coming into the box whether high, low, hard or floating.

So not dismayed if he has indeed left.

If he goes somewhere and is the number one choice he may improve from game time as others have suggested but I don't think he's a risk we should be taking. 

There’s not many keepers who can sit as understudy for months and come into the first team and look assured. Our back up could well be Mackay next season if he’s going to play in development league. If not whoever it is is likely to look rusty when called upon. 

I wonder if we’ll go with Dev as backup. For that we would have to hope he’s over his fitness issues.

Made some really decent saves in the couple games I saw him in towards the end of the season, but very very nervous with balls in the box. As above, probably suffered from not being too familiar with the defenders in game situations, but overall, I'm not too despondent he's left. All the best to him. 

If we had lost the Hamilton game I would have been furious, but the freekick tanning his beak and him then diving the wrong way is hilarious on watching back. Thanks for the comedy big man.

That moment, the "Fasan your seatbelts" line, and his identical resemblance to the baddy from Superman II, will ensure his cult status. 

I think it might be my favourite opposition goal of recent years.