Jezza gets it.

Zorro

Ah, old Zorro diverting again. Jim Sillars referred to Indy 2, which I would say was a bad decision for the Nats and fracking, which is perfectly fine with me if done properly. The Nats haven't really banned it anyway

I'm still waiting for McIroy's list of achievements, but I don't blame him for not producing it, as it doesn't exist. Sure, apart from the middle Scotland welfare benefits, they've tried a few things round the edges, but even those would be impossible without poorer parts of the UK subsiding us by ten billion pound a year. Anything they have achieved has been swept away by their disasterous handling of the economy, education and increasingly, the NHS. A pitiful record for ten years in Government.

Anyway, I'll sign off now for the close season. Looking forward to ten days at Lake Annecy in France then taking Mrs Mclean07 to see James Taylor in Leeds followed by a couple of nights at the Edinburgh Festival. 

Ta ta for now.....

2 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Anyway, I'll sign off now for the close season. Looking forward to ten days at Lake Annecy in France then taking Mrs Mclean07 to see James Taylor in Leeds followed by a couple of nights at the Edinburgh Festival. 

Enjoy your holiday as much as we will ;) 

PS, the close season will be over by the time the Edinburgh Festival rolls around.

8 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Ah, old Zorro diverting again. Jim Sillars referred to Indy 2, which I would say was a bad decision for the Nats and fracking, which is perfectly fine with me if done properly. The Nats haven't really banned it anyway

I'm still waiting for McIroy's list of achievements, but I don't blame him for not producing it, as it doesn't exist. Sure, apart from the middle Scotland welfare benefits, they've tried a few things round the edges, but even those would be impossible without poorer parts of the UK subsiding us by ten billion pound a year. Anything they have achieved has been swept away by their disasterous handling of the economy, education and increasingly, the NHS. A pitiful record for ten years in Government.

Ta ta for now.....

At least James Taylor's got a friend. 

Ta ta for now.....

You’ve gotta love McLean. He turns a topic about the Labour leader, pointing the finger of blame at the tories, for the growth of food banks, into an attack on the Snp. Rolls out the “too wee, too poor, too stupid” mantra. Rambles on for a bit in the hope everyone falls asleep before they realise they’ve read it all before. Then closes with the worst holiday itinerary ever. 

All this after accusing me of “diverting again”. 

At least Sillars believes in true independence for his country. 

I left a job with decent prospects near London to live and work here in God's Own Country. I love Scotland and think it is the best small county in the world ... but...

I kinda like the idea of being able to afford eat and to heat my house in winter and to afford fuel to run a motor car. I like the idea of a health service that provides medical care independent of ability to pay and can look after it's elderly population.

So Jim can believe in whatever image of independence he thinks is "true" but I'm not interested in buying what he is selling.

I left a job with decent prospects near London to live and work here in God's Own Country. I love Scotland and think it is the best small county in the world ... but...

I kinda like the idea of being able to afford eat and to heat my house in winter and to afford fuel to run a motor car. I like the idea of a health service that provides medical care independent of ability to pay and can look after it's elderly population.

So Jim can believe in whatever image of independence he thinks is "true" but I'm not interested in buying what he is selling.

I can just never get my head round wanting independence from London but not Brussels. 

Sillars believes in proper independence, not having decisions made many miles away from base camp from people who we have even less in common with than our current "imperial masters". 

I can just never get my head round wanting independence from London but not Brussels. 

No country on the globe to day is ever completely "independent". Every nation on the planet has a number of alliances and give and take arrangements with multiple other countries. Scotland is dependent on the rest of the UK and on many countries in the EU.

What disturbs me right now is the mind-set which seems to have taken hold within the UK, but particularly in Engerland, that the best way forward for us is to cut ourself off from the rest of Europe. The idea seems to be that the only reason we don't have multiple, bounteous trade deals with China, India and the USA is them pesky Europeans. Actually the reason we don't have such deals is that they don't exist. China and the USA drive a bloody hard bargin with anybody they do business with and our best position is as part of the EU trading block, otherwise we would just get trampled on.

Substitute Scotland for the UK and you have the Jim Sillars position.

I think if the UK does cut itself of from the EU, it is possible but not certain that our best option would be to be part of the EU rather than the UK. I await Nicola's "recalibration". But any way you dice it up after Brexit is sub-optimal for everybody in the UK.

Have you actually had a look around and seen what Westminster policies over the past 50-odd years have done to this country...?

How about he decimation of industry and production for starters? How about the selling off of all our national assets to the highest bidder?

Fudger your comment shows that you are ether trolling or wilfully ignorant of what the constitutional arrangements of Scotland in the UK (control 15% of our nation with the remaining 85% being run by and for London’s elite, and The member states and the EU is (control 90% as a fully fledged independent nation and member of the UN, with 10% controlled with your input being pivotal to decisions which are shared with the other 26 and soon to be 25 member states).

Both situations are so different that to try and claim they are the same is nonsensical at best and downright malicious at worst.

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

........... she got confused as to what her expression should be.

That happens quite a lot with Teresa. She might be very academically and politically sharp bur she really struggles socially when it comes to thinking on her feet. Think if how she handled her meet the people trip to Grenfell Tower. Or, indeed, how she handled the bouncing spinner "what's the naughtiest thing you've ever done?" For a high status politician on a public forum there is no right answer to that one. It's a "when did you stop beating your wife ?"  type question. She should have known that. Her best escape strategy would have been something along the lines of, smiling,  "well I could tell you but then I'd have to shoot you."

1 minute ago, Wrangodog said:

If Corbyn and his party had got behind "Remain" with some enthusiasm instead of his usual wishy-washy performance we wouldn't be in this mess now. 

As all of the North of England voted leave, they'd be screwed in their traditional Northern heartlands.  After losing Scotland, Labour can't risk annoying the British nationalists that want a hard Brexit, taking back control of sovreignty.  Self preservation over the national interest.  They got their fingers burnt in Scotland.

Just now, RAG said:

As all of the North of England voted leave, they'd be screwed in their traditional Northern heartlands.  After losing Scotland, Labour can't risk annoying the British nationalists that want a hard Brexit, taking back control of sovreignty.  Self preservation over the national interest.  They got their fingers burnt in Scotland.

Sounds like, just like the Tories,  they are totally daffy ducked. They know bailing out of the EU is just daft but are terrified of getting a kicking from the electorate if they say this. 

Perhaps the strategy is to let the Tories take us out and then let them take the kicking. 

7 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Sounds like, just like the Tories,  they are totally daffy ducked. They know bailing out of the EU is just daft but are terrified of getting a kicking from the electorate if they say this. 

Perhaps the strategy is to let the Tories take us out and then let them take the kicking. 

It's party politics over the national interest IMO, just what happens at WM.   Brexit will be chaos, saw a poll saying there's 60% wanting a united Ireland should Hard Brexit go ahead, marginally in favour of Scotland independence too.  With the Brexit impact being estimated as almost as large on the Republic of Ireland as the UK, will be a lot of pissed off people on the Island of Ireland.  A majority in the North that didn't vote for it and not a soul in the South who even got a say in the matter - unless they were resident in the UK - Irish being only EU nationals that could vote for Brexit.  

If that scenario happens and Corbyn's in power or opposition, as a well known Irish republican, Labour really are finished.  Corbyn 100% would have to be replaced IMO. Leaving the rest of the UK to be governed by Boris probably.

The futures bright!