50p per unit

gdevoy

15 minutes ago, Zorro said:

There isn’t any increased income for the Scottish government to reinvest, unless I’ve misunderstood you and you think the supermarkets are going to pony up for mental health initiatives. If so, good luck with that, but I think you’re being naive. It’s more likely they’ll invest it in expensive lawyers, to find creative ways to avoid paying tax. 

I think you're right, I assumed it was going to be a tax increase of sorts

if its targeted at kinds drinking in the park and it becomes less affordable, they will just take pills and hippy crack (just more than they do now). if its targeted at the alcoholic they will just drink anyway. 

i am not for this in anyway as to me it feels unjust, obviously drinking less, in the whole, would be good for us all.

24 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

if its targeted at kinds drinking in the park and it becomes less affordable, they will just take pills and hippy crack (just more than they do now).

Absolute pish with no foundation or evidence whatsoever.  It’s this kind of bollocks that gets published in the media and sets efforts at curbing problem drinkers of horrible wood alcohol s**te like frosty jack back.

Same scaremongering doom touting mince was said about the smoking ban.

6 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

They want to move to 56p a unit already and are talking about stopping selling booze after 8pm because "people are not planning their drinking" 

There's a certain medical body suggesting it should be 70p due to inflation. Wales looking at 60p.

Bit nanny state bulls**t if you as me. Tripling the price of frosty jacks isn't a solution 

Edited by All the Wine

37 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

I just bought 30 cans of Stella for 21 quid in Coventry and will be bringing it home tomorrow.  Is that smuggling? Is it legal? 

It’s basically just the SNP trying to make Scotland as different to England as possible.   

Geez f**king peace ya balloon.  We all know you’re a bevvy merchant and this will hit you hard.  This is about public health, crime and a youth culture of drinking too much and causing bother.

there is cross party support for this so it’s not the SNP baaaaad stuff you state

1 hour ago, Brianstorm said:

I just bought 30 cans of Stella for 21 quid in Coventry and will be bringing it home tomorrow.  Is that smuggling? Is it legal? 

It’s basically just the SNP trying to make Scotland as different to England as possible.   

Glad to see you're taking a balanced approach to this

Just now, Beaker71 said:

there is cross party support for this so it’s not the SNP baaaaad stuff you state

Aye cos Scotland is by nature a Calvinistic country, it's well ingrained in our history.

Scotland: The country that gave you John Knox, now gives you the world first of minimum alcohol pricing.

Liberalism v Calvinism is the debate here.

You can buy booze anytime in shops in Germany - yet they don't buy rounds in bars.

Popped out to the shops earlier; there was no rioting in the streets, no muggings, the checkout operator wasn’t under attack and the car stereo was still in place when I got back to my car. Can’t say I noticed any difference in the price of my drink (Innes & Gunn - blood red sky) either. Looks like the prophecies of doom from the serial offended, jakeys and winos have been well off the mark  

13 hours ago, Brianstorm said:

You're definetly a heavy drinker. It's targeted at folk like you as you will put away 30 units on a Saturday alone, add that to all your pub lunches and boozy Sundays, it's a lot, but it won't have any effect on you. What should they do to target the like of you? 

I'm a weekend drinker, rarely drink unless I'm in the pub and very rarely drink during the week. Couldn't tell you the last midweek pint I had at lunch, a team lunch about 3 months ago I think!

It's also aimed at folk who drink cheap s**te to get absolutely blotto day in day out.

As for 30 units, I doubt I drink 15 pints every Saturday! Aberdeen away and the likes aye......

Edited by Squirrelhumper

9 hours ago, Zorro said:

Popped out to the shops earlier; there was no rioting in the streets, no muggings, the checkout operator wasn’t under attack and the car stereo was still in place when I got back to my car. Can’t say I noticed any difference in the price of my drink (Innes & Gunn - blood red sky) either. Looks like the prophecies of doom from the serial offended, jakeys and winos have been well off the mark  

Brian's in England m8, wait till he's home.....

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, skygod said:

Here's another idea: why not subsidise gym and swimming pool memberships? Instead of just using a stick approach, why not some carrot in the way of making it easier and more affordable to exercise?

Good incentive but it puts more strain on the public purse.  Minimum pricing won't do that.

I’m all for taxing the poor a bit more heavily although I suspect that this will just mean that their weans get even less to eat . The tax doesn’t really affect the weekly geezer spend on the old Mersault and Pouilly Fuisse . 

However, Mrs G was attempting to use a money off voucher at Waitrose, only to be informed that since a large portion of the spend was whisky, the voucher wasn’t eligible . I’m tempted to write to wee Krankie to ask for my tenner back. 

42 minutes ago, diamond_geezer said:

I’m all for taxing the poor a bit more heavily although I suspect that this will just mean that their weans get even less to eat . The tax doesn’t really affect the weekly geezer spend on the old Mersault and Pouilly Fuisse . 

However, Mrs G was attempting to use a money off voucher at Waitrose, only to be informed that since a large portion of the spend was whisky, the voucher wasn’t eligible . I’m tempted to write to wee Krankie to ask for my tenner back. 

I sometimes doubt that you are real

2 hours ago, Fankle said:

I'm not sure the Scottish Government have the power to do that?

Neither do I,  it was just a suggestion.  Surely the minimum price per unit is in fact an alcohol tax and as such revenue goes to the Scottish government,  seeing as it’s a Scots law and not the UK (yet).

34 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Neither do I,  it was just a suggestion.  Surely the minimum price per unit is in fact an alcohol tax and as such revenue goes to the Scottish government,  seeing as it’s a Scots law and not the UK (yet).

No the price difference goes to the retailer.

49 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

It isn’t a tax. It’s like saying that Killie season tickets must cost at least £1000 per head . If the same number buy them , then Killie win. For Killie , read Diageo .