Nice Fow interview

skygod

Kilmarnock are on course to break a 15-year points total record in the top flight — and club legend James Fowler is confident they can achieve the feat at Ibrox this weekend.

Steve Clarke’s men face a troubled Rangers on Saturday in Glasgow in search of their first win in the post-split fixtures.

Killie currently sit on 55 points and are within touching distance of the 57-point record set by Jim Jefferies side in the 2002/03 season.

One more win from the next three games would ensure Clarke’s Killie broke yet another record in what has been an extraordinary season at Rugby Park.

St Mirren assistant boss Fowler, who was part of the squad in 2003, said: “When I think back to when I first joined the club, they’d just won the cup, so it was a great time to be there.

“Back in 2002/03 the crowds were still big and there was a real positivity about the club.

“The attendances dwindled a bit after that but it has got better recently, especially after the appointment of Steve Clarke.

“They’ve shown in the league so far that they don’t fear anyone and they’ve won against Rangers at Ibrox already this season.

“They can go there with confidence.”

Killie have suffered tough defeats in their opening two fixtures in the top half since the split.

Aberdeen won 2-0 at Rugby Park last weekend before Killie lost out 5-3 to Hibs in one of the games of the season on Saturday.

But Fowler has backed Clarke’s men to find their form again before the season’s out.

He said: “They’re in the top six at the moment but I’m sure the players will want to finish as high up the table as possible.

“We probably suffered with that at St Mirren after we got the league tied up, it’s maybe a bit difficult to keep the form and momentum going.

“It is hard when the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen are fighting to finish second behind Celtic.

“But I’m sure Steve Clarke and his staff won’t let the season peter out.”

Fowler is in line to return to Rugby Park for the first time since his exit in 2014 with St Mirren next season.

Along with manager of the year Jack Ross, the former right back has led the Buddies to a sensational Championship win this season – just months after they were odds-on favourites for relegation from the second tier of Scottish football.

Fowler is relishing returning to Ayrshire in the next campaign and he said: “It will be great to go back, I haven’t been to Rugby Park in a few years.

“As a fan I’ve been keeping an eye on how they’re doing but it will be good to be in the opposition dug-out next season.

“It has been a whirlwind few months for myself and the manager.

“To go from a relegation battle to champions in that time has been a great effort, the players and the fans have been brilliant as well.”

(Record)

Edited by skygod

4 hours ago, historyman said:

He will get a good reception at RP next season. Definitely one of the good guys.

Absolutely. 

I find it strange he hasn't been there "in a few years" though, I wonder why. Past legends/stalwarts (and he's got to be up there) are usually quite frequent returners to RP for one reason or another. 

5 hours ago, jesper said:

Absolutely. 

I find it strange he hasn't been there "in a few years" though, I wonder why. Past legends/stalwarts (and he's got to be up there) are usually quite frequent returners to RP for one reason or another. 

Possibly as he's been working at other clubs on matchdays?
It's only an off the cuff response remark surely.

2 hours ago, carpetfitter said:

IIRC his debut was as a sub at Love St. It might have been a pre season friendly. 

It was at Dens Park I think. He was brought on to play left wing for around 20 minutes and was terrific, winning a penalty.

9 hours ago, jesper said:

I find it strange he hasn't been there "in a few years" though, I wonder why. 

I think he means he hasn’t been to RP in an official capacity for a few years (the article says since 2014). 

I’d be very surprised if he hasn’t been as an interested spectator. 

Fvkin love the Fow.... maybe not as skillful as Eremenko, Durrant etc but he did all the donkey work to allow others to play to their strengths.  Could run all day and half the night, wasn't afraid to make or take a tackle, always ready to 'take one for the team' by bringing down an attacker when necessary, versatile -- started as a forward and filled in at (almost) every other position at one time or another .. and of course popped up with the odd goal now and again.

8 hours ago, chubbs said:

Fvkin love the Fow.... maybe not as skillful as Eremenko, Durrant etc but he did all the donkey work to allow others to play to their strengths.  Could run all day and half the night, wasn't afraid to make or take a tackle, always ready to 'take one for the team' by bringing down an attacker when necessary, versatile -- started as a forward and filled in at (almost) every other position at one time or another .. and of course popped up with the odd goal now and again.

Exactly. He was the new Gary Holt, right when we needed one! A lot to be said for doing the graft in the team.