Rangers away, Fred

CB

28 minutes ago, c_u_jimmy said:

Has the bubble burst? Since getting sixth place, form has gone. The forum is dead. Normally if we are down the bottom, the forum is jumping. Its going to take a lot next season to get us to top six again.

I get your hurting after today's loss but you, me & every other fan would have bitten a hand off to be where we are tonight. Since we clinched a top 6 place we've had more than our fair share of key players missing thou injury or suspension. 

If I were you I'd calm down until we see who comes in over the summer to improve a squad who have excelled this season.

Edited by C4mmy31

I posted similar on Facebook last week and folk could not get past the phrase "bubble is burst" without taking it all negatively.

We have had a brilliant run until a couple of weeks ago ... one that will be remembered for years to come. That chapter has closed and a new one has begun ... and this one could prove to be better for us as it gives SC a clearer idea of where he needs to strengthen in the close season without good results clouding the issue.

Killie suffered late disappointment as a David Bates goal handed Rangers a 1-0 victory at Ibrox.

The defender, who will depart for Hamburg this summer, headed home from close range from a free kick to undo Killie's good work across the 90 minutes.

Youssouf Mulumbu, Eamonn Brophy and Jamie MacDonald returned to the Killie team following last weekend's thrilling contest at Easter Road. 

A fascinating battle between Daniel Candeias and Greg Taylor was typical of an even first half with both players showing their qualities throughout.

Aaron Tshibola was having a real impact for Killie and he came close to netting the opening goal when Jak Alnwick spilled Kris Boyd's free kick. Tshibola tried to lift the ball over the goalkeeper but the shot stopper was equal to his effort.

Steve Clarke's side were defending well with Kirk Broadfoot and Stuart Findlay holding firm against some tempting crosses by Candeias and Morelos.

Killie were left unhappy with a few refereeing decisions on the day with two clashes between Morelos and Findlay seeing the forward receive a yellow card.

Lee Erwin, Greg Kiltie and Iain Wilson were introduced into the action as the men from Ayrshire looked to turn one point into three but they were caught cold by the hosts from a set play.

The ball was worked out wide and centre back Bates got to the ball first with the effort finding the net past the helpless MacDonald.

Substitute Kiltie came very close to grabbing a draw but his header was deflected narrowly over the bar to the dismay of the visiting fans.

Fifth place could well be secured if Hearts fail to take maximum points against Celtic with attention turning to our final two games against the champions and Craig Levein's men.

Kilmarnock: MacDonald; O'Donnell, Broadfoot, Findlay, Taylor; Dicker, Mulumbu (Wilson), Tshibola; Jones, Brophy (Erwin), K.Boyd (Kiltie)

Att: 49,703 

38 minutes ago, c_u_jimmy said:

Has the bubble burst? Since getting sixth place, form has gone. The forum is dead. Normally if we are down the bottom, the forum is jumping. Its going to take a lot next season to get us to top six again.

Oh yea of little faith - Believe.

The reality is that other teams will work us out for next season and if we lose Jones and Mulumbu we will need to do well in the transfer market to replace them. Even if we keep them we will have to add quality to maintain a challenge for the top six as five teams will have much bigger resources and Motherwell, St Mirren, and a few others will challenge us. The lack of urgency in starting the season ticket campaign to capture the moment for the newbies will be more evident with every game as the season is now in danger of ending in a whimper. 

28 minutes ago, chubbs said:

We seemed to be trying to stop them scoring rather than getting one ourselves.  Can't understand why we never gave JJ a go to run at Halliday as he was murder at left back.

Maybe JJ after today's performance he's already signed for Rangers

5 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

The reality is that other teams will work us out for next season and if we lose Jones and Mulumbu we will need to do well in the transfer market to replace them. Even if we keep them we will have to add quality to maintain a challenge for the top six as five teams will have much bigger resources and Motherwell, St Mirren, and a few others will challenge us. The lack of urgency in starting the season ticket campaign to capture the moment for the newbies will be more evident with every game as the season is now in danger of ending in a whimper. 

It's being so positive that keeps you going.

How far have we come when we are ragin that we lose by a late goal to one of the old firm. Not that long ago when poor Rangers teams in the past have beaten us by 3 or 4. We are now able to compete with everyone in the league even with one of the smallest budgets.

Painful to be losing again, but not the end of the world.

This was always going to be a tough end to the season, and the players have given it absolutely everything they've got for months now. Supporters will go into next season now with more realistic expectations and the boss will have a firmer idea of the areas of the team that need strengthening.

League could be tougher still next year-  if Utd sneak back up that's business pretty much back to normal, biggest clubs gathered in top league.

Looking forward to seeing how summer transfer business is conducted, hopefully bringing A*r to Rugby Park in league cup, seeing if Greg Kiltie can get his mojo back and finally burying the Sheep hoodoo-  it's the matches against them that have ultimately limited our ambitions this year.

To put things into perspective we went to Ibrox not expecting to lose. 

That's a marker of how far we've come since Steve Clarke took over. 

Personally I'm hurting because we never hit the standard of football we have been achieving. 

Second half was poor after a competent first 45. No point in playing like we can when you go a goal down with 5 minutes left. 

One positive was our defending today was far far better than Hibs last week. 

29 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

A few decent signings and season tickets will pick up. 

At the more expensive price of course. 

Let's not lose sight that we have had a excellent season. Preseason we could not have expected the excellent season. 

We have beaten Rangers twice, Celtic, Draws at Ibrox, Celtic Park. Brilliant come backs against Dundee, Hibs. Undefeated against bottom six teams under Sir Steve. In fact I think we only dropped points against Ross County and Dundee. We have 15 wins, 14 under Sir Steve. We have 11 loses, only two more than Aberdeen, one more than Rangers. We are 5th in the league. 

Admittedly we have slipped a little in the last few weeks. To put this in context against top four teams that have something to play for and, we don't. It's only natural that the players will subconsciously lower their levels. That said Sir Steve is a winner and will not tolerate this. He wants to win. That is what separates the winners and losers. He won't want to go through the whole post split fixtures without a point. 

Steve Clarke felt his Killie side were unfortunate to suffer a 1-0 defeat to Rangers at Ibrox.

The manager was left to rue a late defensive slip as David Bates' late head condemned Killie to a third successive loss.

However the boss was encouraged by his side's overall display in Govan and reiterated his determination to try to finish the campaign on a high. 

Pointing to the fact Aberdeen, Hibernian and Rangers are all in a battle for second place, the manager stated his side had remained competitive in all three matches.

He said: "I said post-split would be difficult for us, but we’ve played all the teams fighting for second place, Aberdeen, Hibs and now Rangers, and we’ve been competitive in every game. That was the third time we’ve been here this season.

"If you get the rub of the green, the bounce of the ball at the right times, better refereeing decisions, fairer referees, you have a chance.

"It was disappointing to lose a late free-kick but my players can be proud of themselves.

"We had a chance with Aaron Tshibola. It was a good second save from the goalkeeper because he spilled the first one. It was close and Aaron couldn’t get it up and over him. That was a big chance." 

However the Killie boss was irked by two incidents involving Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos and Killie defender Stuart Findlay. 

He added: "There was an elbow on Stuart dealt with by a yellow card, which I'm not sure is the right card.

"There was also a punch to his groin later on. He gave a free-kick to us, so he saw the movement - but no second yellow.

"I don't want the lad Morleos to be cited or dealt with because it doesn't help us or this game. But it shows a little bit, for me, the level of the refereeing performance today

"Referees have to be fair to both teams, that's all I ask for."

I can see this being brought up when he's answering for his Easter Road ordering off.

Edited by skygod

For me the defence especially Broadfoot were brilliant today. Our problems came from further up the park. Rangers got on top of our midfield and we gave the ball away far too often. Don’t remember Mulumbu ever giving the ball away so cheaply. Power was sadly missed. Up front we showed very little other than a couple of Jones runs. 

We just look like a team that has run out of steam. Given the season we have had don't really think any of us have reason to complain. Today we were poor, Sevco are indeed s**te and were there for the taking but we never turned up. Hope we get something from the last 2 games think we all supporters and management / players deserve that.

2 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

It would be interesting to test the logic of your crusade against the timing of next years season ticket campaign as to how many of us existing s/  ticket holders or any potential new uptakers could actually have afforded to commit themselves to buying earlier. Don't you agree that it is an individuals right to decide and not a persons who is/ was in the fortunate financial position to commit nearly? I'm sure in the close season we will be pleasently surprised and encouraged by the uptake to support Steve Clarke next season!

2 hours ago, malcr0 said:

How far have we come when we are ragin that we lose by a late goal to one of the old firm. Not that long ago when poor Rangers teams in the past have beaten us by 3 or 4. We are now able to compete with everyone in the league even with one of the smallest budgets.

Sevco are a very poor team though. I would say 4th best in the league when we are 5th. We didn't look like we were trying to win in the second half. Looked like we had settled for a point when on the basis of the first half we could easily have won. 

50 minutes ago, historyman said:

Sevco are a very poor team though. I would say 4th best in the league when we are 5th. We didn't look like we were trying to win in the second half. Looked like we had settled for a point when on the basis of the first half we could easily have won. 

Does that mean that Killie are worse than a very poor team?