Worst way to get relegated?

Seeing County can go down tonight got me thinking what’s worse. Relegated without a fight and playing out a load of games that can’t help you or going right down to the wire on the last day. I’m fortunate enough not to recall our relegations but the last day against Falkirk when we needed the draw was torture. Don’t think I’ve felt worse watching a game. Hibs for the playoff spot wasn’t as bad as there were two more playoff matches. Falkirk playoff was weird. For some reason I went into the games relatively confident. Even after defeat in the first leg I wasn’t disheartened as I thought we were the better team. A whole season the way we started this one wouldve been an absolute nightmare and I believe we’d have been as good as down by the winter break. 

What way would you say is worse? 

I think it's obvious that you should want to keep your hopes alive as long as possible.

There can always been an eventuality likes Hibs collapsing a few years back which changes everything.

There can also be a financial boost from bigger crowds at "relegation scraps", and even play-offs. Early relegation would probably see your gates collapse.

Personally I think the way we dropped into the second division was he worst.  Win 6-0 only to have a dubious penalty given six minutes into added time in another game which had few stoppages, which when converted put us down.

Edited by Beaker71

26 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Personally I think the way we dropped into the second division was he worst.  Win 6-0 only to have a dubious penalty given six minutes into added time in another game which had few stoppages, which when converted put us down.

A long drive home that day without a doubt. Still remember the elation at the end of the game only to find out the score from Firhill on the way back to the car.

Prefer to think of it as the start of our journey back to the top flight. :hurrah:

Edited by a1killiefan
Spelling error

31 minutes ago, a1killiefan said:

A long drive home that day without a doubt. Still remember the elation at the end of the game only to find out the score from Firhill on the way back to the car.

Prefer to think of it as the start of our journey back to the top flight. :hurrah:

As do I, I actually deleted the bit about it being a blessing in disguise.

2 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Worst feeling ever to do with football...  The lowest day as a killie fan but it was a long long time in the making.

10 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

Worst feeling ever to do with football...  The lowest day as a killie fan but it was a long long time in the making.

Aye the 3-2 defeat to Clydebank the midweek before probably screwed us.  But years of decline had finally taken its toll.

7 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

As previous said before not to know at the time was the best thing to happen as ushered in the Burns /Fleeting era

I felt sorry for Burton on Saturday. It would have been an incredible achievement for Clough to have kept them up in the championship two seasons running. I've always had a soft spot for him, a wonderful player who managed to play at international level despite being about as slow as me. His dad wasn't too bad a manager either. 

Worst relegation I can remember was at QoS but as was said earlier losing a 2 goal lead at Clydebank the week before was the cause. It was on a very sunny Saturday afternoon though as I got sunburnt. 

Edited by historyman

2 hours ago, historyman said:

I felt sorry for Burton on Saturday. It would have been an incredible achievement for Clough to have kept them up in the championship two seasons running. I've always had a soft spot for him, a wonderful player who managed to play at international level despite being about as slow as me. His dad wasn't too bad a manager either. 

Worst relegation I can remember was at QoS but as was said earlier losing a 2 goal lead at Clydebank the week before was the cause. It was on a very sunny Saturday afternoon though as I got sunburnt. 

Well that will be liam Boyce heading back on loan to the comfort zone of the spl

On 5/8/2018 at 8:37 PM, Beaker71 said:

Having Willie waters arse on my face as news of mcglashans penalty came through was not great. That said, going down three divisions for non football related reasons can’t be great. But one mans poison is another mans cure they say....