Opinions needed Derek McInnes

baggie192

Evening lads hope you're well? We have gone despite the efforts of "Big Dave" worthy manager of the month who brought a bit of pride back to the club after scumbag Pulis had done one. The clueless Pardew got caught a stupid stupid taxi scandel. That caused the board to be fired. How do you rates McInnes? I only know him as a player. Does he play an entertaining style? It's a shame "Big Dave" wants to run the academy can't really blame him as there's no pressure on him then. Anyway enough off-topic talk. Here to your continued success next season

I wouldn’t touch him, I think he has done ok but nothing more for Aberdeen, they had absolutely no competition for second spot, this year they have stumbled along, using loan signings from better clubs to see them through, amazingly The Rangers could pip them for second on Sunday. And they are very poor. 

I wish the Baggies well as they were dealt a s**t hand of cards this year, I would look to Neil Warnock as he won’t want to take Cardiff in EPL, his Championship record speaks for itself.

It depends really, he took over Aberdeen after years of languishing in the bottom-middle parts of the league, but made them into regular top 2-3. He seems to do really well against the smaller teams in the league, but then bottles it in the big games where they could actually win something. The league has been tougher this year and deserves credit for still being in the mix for 2nd despite Rangers spending a bunch of cash in the summer, but also bottled it against Motherwell in both cups. 

I wouldnt say he would be the worst appointment (i.e. Pardew), but not exactly inspiring.

Aberdeen play turgid football and bottle it in any given big game. Their record against Celtic and even since their new club formed, Rangers, is embarrassing considering the decent enough squad they have. They do have some record against us though and they're most definitely our bogey team of the last few years. 

I'd avoid in your position. Your caretaker seems to be doing well enough? Good luck in promotion next season.

Pragmatic rather than entertaining. The team rarely turn up when it's the big occasion which is surprising. Even the single trophy they won they had to do it on penalties v ICT. 

Has made some good signings such as Hayes, McLean, Shinnie but a few dodgy buys as well. 

With the parachute payment Baggies must aim for play offs at least but it's a very tough and unforgiving league. I think you would be better going for Lee Johnson. It goes without saying that Clarke would also be a better choice but you shouldn't have fired him. 

19 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

I wouldn’t touch him, I think he has done ok but nothing more for Aberdeen, they had absolutely no competition for second spot, this year they have stumbled along, using loan signings from better clubs to see them through, amazingly The Rangers could pip them for second on Sunday. And they are very poor. 

I wish the Baggies well as they were dealt a s**t hand of cards this year, I would look to Neil Warnock as he won’t want to take Cardiff in EPL, his Championship record speaks for itself.

First apologies posted this in the wrong section. The thing about Warnock, is, he'd be more hated than Pulis and Pulis was hated because ofThis As you can see McInnes played. It's alledged warnock told his player to fake the injury. Our Manager at the was Gary Megson Ex-Wednesday player

4 minutes ago, thesnowman21 said:

It depends really, he took over Aberdeen after years of languishing in the bottom-middle parts of the league, but made them into regular top 2-3. He seems to do really well against the smaller teams in the league, but then bottles it in the big games where they could actually win something. The league has been tougher this year and deserves credit for still being in the mix for 2nd despite Rangers spending a bunch of cash in the summer, but also bottled it against Motherwell in both cups. 

I wouldnt say he would be the worst appointment (i.e. Pardew), but not exactly inspiring.

To tell you the truth I hope it isn't either McInnes or Appleton as I don't want them to ruin ther legacy. Not to sound johnny big balls. We should get about £35-40m through clear-out If the board gives us 15-20m and access to sales and wage cuts we can build a balanced squad something Pulis wouldn't do. For the owner we need to bouce straight back within 2 years

Sorry to see your club go down mate, and they have the potential to jump back up... without McInnes.

McInnes has had the luxury of no Rangers, Hibs and Hearts in the top flight over the years to cement his side as the second best outside Celtic... but that's the real reason why.

His side play 4-5-1 favouring a tall, immobile striker and are masters of the dark arts when it comes to football. He wouldn't last six months down there.

West Brom if they wanted anyone from Scotland could do a lot worse than Neil Lennon. However there are a lot of top coaches down south out of work that would be miles ahead of McInnes.

28 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

I'd tend to agree with @SaucyJackPirate, he had a chance to move last summer when his stock was a lot higher. His record against both Celtic & Rangers, the big games, is appalling, last Tuesday being the 1st point of the season won against either side.

I think not going to Sunderland or Sevco shows a pretty shrewd sense of judgement. If he had gone to either of those clubs he'd probably be out of a job just now. 

I'll stick up for him. McInnes is a good manager and I think West Bromwich could well tempt him given his history there.

Yes, he is not well liked by opposition fans but doesn't that tell you something? The Aberdeen fans I know think he is great (but to be fair are annoyed about the results against the rangers and celtic). They can play some wonderful stuff at times but his teams also know how to do the other side of the game to get results. His transfers have been decent but he has signed a couple of turkeys. Annoyingly for us, his team hasn't lost to Clarke's side. Yep, they do seem to bottle it against the rangers and celtic, but they are a good effective team for the most part.

I reckon he'd do well for you guys and would maybe get a bit more time to settle in given his ties with the club.

If he goes, I'd expect him to take McKenna with him. Cracking prospect.

Good luck next season, whoever you go with!

There’s a lot of hate towards Aberdeen and  in particular Derek McInnes on this forum so probably not the best way judge popular opinion of the manager. 

I think he’s done well with Aberdeen but as mentioned, doesn’t do well in the big games. He does have a bigger budget, but he’s put together a very strong squad who are more than capable of beating the smaller clubs in the league. He has lost a few of his top players over the last few years and will be in the same position this summer. Taking this in to account, his record and consistency over the last 3 years has been excellent, and a win on Sunday will secure second place despite a stronger challenge coming from Hibs and Rangers this season. His side are also regulars in the semi finals and finals of the cups. 

I would avoid McInnes, total bottle merchant, and as has been said his team are pretty dodgy on the old fair play front.  Would also avoid Lennon, far too much baggage hated by every fan in Scotland outwith celtic and Hibs, never takes responsibility always cheated.

Unpleasant individual on a number of fronts.

His "success" is relative as noted by many above. Aberdeen fans I know would probably prefer a couple of cups rather than constantly getting horsed by Celtic but finishing second above the other dross in the league.

He seems to favour athleticism, physicality and pace/ power of players over any particular commitment to a style of play - also favours "proven" experienced players (proven to disappear when playing Celtic usually) - not as bad as Craig Levein in that respect but not far off it.

Routinely loses to Celtic and new variant Rangers despite the latter being totally rank.

I believe he coaches players poorly and is tactically inflexible. A number of players have gone backwards under his tutelage. Mclean should've kicked on, but went about a season and a half of being terrible, and strangely has only improved since his transfer to Norwich was agreed. He's made Rooney and Stevie May worse, and Shay Logan seems to have gone backwards too. With the relative budget available to him, he should've been able to cope when missing a few key players, but their semi final display against Motherwell was laughable. He should've steamrolled second and challenged the Old Filth consistently when directly up against them, but has failed miserably, bottles it every time suggesting he's a poor man manager/motivator and clearly unable to find a plan b. 

I live up here, so at risk of sounding like a dick, I reckon I know a few more Aberdeen fans than most on here, and there is quite a strong dislike of him and it's growing by the game. 

I don't rate him as a manager. He did fine initially at Aberdeen but hasn't been able to progress the club for a while now...ie he should've been able to get his hands on another piece of silverware or two. As it is, one League Cup isn't a good return. 

When he's asked to step-up against the better teams like Celtic, Rangers and in Europe his record is pretty deplorable.

His teams do fine against Kilmarnock etc as they have better players and budget. However, in a more even playing-field he'd be lost IMO.

I think he's a good manager but I have my doubts that he's anything more than that. For me his biggest skill at Aberdeen has been squad building. He managed to put together a squad that is better than the rest of the league a few years ago and has kept it together. They've been lucky to an extent that the players are in a bracket that makes them too good for most of the league but not in the Moult category of being picked up immediately. His record with in game management and against better sides is poor. As is his European form. But he's certainly not a charlatan. 

19 hours ago, Mogwai said:

I'll stick up for him. McInnes is a good manager and I think West Bromwich could well tempt him given his history there.

Yes, he is not well liked by opposition fans but doesn't that tell you something? The Aberdeen fans I know think he is great (but to be fair are annoyed about the results against the rangers and celtic). They can play some wonderful stuff at times but his teams also know how to do the other side of the game to get results. His transfers have been decent but he has signed a couple of turkeys. Annoyingly for us, his team hasn't lost to Clarke's side. Yep, they do seem to bottle it against the rangers and celtic, but they are a good effective team for the most part.

I reckon he'd do well for you guys and would maybe get a bit more time to settle in given his ties with the club.

If he goes, I'd expect him to take McKenna with him. Cracking prospect.

Good luck next season, whoever you go with!

I agree with most of this but not the comment that they can play wonderful stuff. They are dour, stuffy and generally grind out results. Free flowing football it is not  

I also think he would struggle a bit tactically  - for example only once (last season's cup final) has he got it right against Celtic and to lose 4 goals at home to Sevco is pretty incredible. 

I think he's going a bit stale at Aberdeen and both him and their supporters need a change. Whether he would be good enough to take WBA back up I don't know. Alex Neil would be another possibility that I would see as more suitable.