Steve Clarke (fire) fights back......

C4mmy31

Steve Clarke wants to finish the season with a victory to send the Kilmarnock fans home happy for the summer.

Killie end a remarkable campaign against Hearts at Rugby Park, aiming to secure a victory which would see them beat their record points total (57) during the three points for a win era.

Killie's revival has seen the team earn a top six place for the first time since 2010/11 with fifth spot already secured this term.

Now he wants the supporters to enjoy the last game of the campaign, saying: "When I came in originally, I thought we'd be involved in a relegation fight at this point, so to be where were are, to be competitive with all the teams in the top six has been great.

"But the players deserve all the plaudits. Maybe I'm the one who sits up here getting all the praise because I spend more time in front of the media.

"But the players deserve the credit as they have been fantastic. Hopefully on Sunday we can give the Kilmarnock fans a good finish to the season."

The Killie boss shrugged off comments from Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers, who commented on our tactical approach

"If you look at the majority of what Brendan said, it was correct and proper – but that (firefighter) line wasn't really befitting of a Celtic manager.

"It wasn't so much disrespectful, it was just a silly line to use in what was quite an honest post-match analysis of the game.

"We don't have to go there and play the way Celtic want us to.

"We went there to play the way that is best for us to get a result. It's my job as a manager to set my players up in a way that gives us the best chance of getting a positive result and that's what we did.

"If you are the team with 73 per cent of the possession then it's what you do with it that counts and on the night Celtic didn't do enough. They only had one shot on target, which for that amount of possession I'd think would be disappointing for Brendan and his team.

"If he wants to insinuate that Celtic could not have broken down 11 amateur players, which is what he was insinuating, then I think he underestimates his own abilities as a coach and the ability of his players because I'm pretty sure Celtic would beat 11 firemen.

"I didn't see Brendan after the game, we didn't have the usual post-match chat so I don't know if he was frustrated or not after the results we've had against them this year. I don't think he should be too frustrated seeing as they have two trophies in the bag already and the chance to make it three next week."

1 hour ago, c_u_jimmy said:

Think he is morphing into KS. KS was less than subtle with his comments but SC seems to make comments and so far it has worked out ok. Its only a matter of time before referees and opposition put pressure on him to curb his comments. 

KS's reaction when he reads this in the paper:

giphy.gif

37 minutes ago, skygod said:

Nothing wrong with it but he was referring to their prowess - or lack of it - as footballers.

Perhaps there were no firemen in the team of taxi drivers, plumbers, teachers, postmen and students from Gibraltar that beat them last season and that's why he chose that profession. 

47 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nonsense

Agreed. I think when you look at McInnes, Rodgers, Lennon, McCann, Wright, Robinson and Canning's comments this year, Clarke looks like an absolute saint.

Even when sent to the stand at Easter Road, there wasn't a big show on the touchline, it was comments he made away from the public eye.

The guy oozes class.