SC on Mulumbu and Findlay

skygod

Clarke remains hopeful Mulumbu may opt to stay in Ayrshire for another year but said he is fully aware Mulumbu is keen for a final lucrative payday.

Speaking ahead of Killie's game with Hearts, he told Press Association Sport: "I don't know if it's Youssouf's last game or not.

"I know he's loved his time up here in Scotland and he's been very important for us.

"But if a bigger offer was to come along and Youssouf thought it was a better offer then I'd expect him to move on.

"Youssouf has been good for us and we've been good for him as well.

"He's much more marketable than he was this time last year when he didn't have a club.

"We talk regularly. He probably says he doesn't get much sense out of me and I could say the same in return. "But we both know what's happening and he's very grateful to have had the chance to play here at Kilmarnock.

"He understands we've helped him a lot. He doesn't want to be disrespectful and say he's going to leave. "I do know that he is hoping something with a little more money comes along and he can get a chance to finish with one last bumper contract and we respect that.

"I said when he came that the Kilmarnock fans should just enjoy him while he is here and if they come along at the weekend they can enjoy him for at least one more game."

On-loan Newcastle defender Stuart Findlay is yet to decide whether Sunday's season closer will be his final appearance in blue and white.

Findlay's St James' Park deal expires in the summer but the youngster has told Clarke he wants to keep his options open for the time being before putting pen to paper on a permanent move north.

Clarke said: "Stuart's in a good position. He's out of contract in the summer. He and his agent want to see what the lie of the land is.

"I know Stuart's very happy here playing for Kilmarnock and for me. He feels he can learn here.

"Hopefully that's enough to persuade him to stay when he becomes a free agent."

(STV)

Edited by skygod

Mulumbu is definitely capable of playing at a higher level than we can offer, and at 31 I don't think anyone could grudge the guy wanting one last big contract.

Would absolutely love it if he stayed, but if he moves on then he'll go with best wishes.

Findlay on the other hand I think would be better staying here. He's 22, and with a couple of seasons under SSC could get a far bigger move than he'd get this summer.

Ok I’ll say it - Mulumbu may well want a “last big contract” but realistically how big will that be with his injury history in a 31 year old body, and good but often not great performances with his current and previous club? When he’s been on his game with us he’s been a joy to watch but his standout performances are probably matched by his average ones. I can’t see him getting better than Scotland’s biggest clubs, mid table Championship/Ligue 1 type clubs offering him a good deal in the summer. He ain’t gonna get the type of cash West Brom and Norwich threw at him previously. 

Reckon Mulumbu will be able to command £15k a week somewhere. That’s probably at least £13k more than we can offer him. Add in some bonuses and he may not be that far off £1million a season. He’d likely make that in the championship or ligue 1 no bother.

Findlay I hope stays. Another season as a recognised first team player will do him the world of good. This season he’s kicked on and with more game time he’ll continue to get better. 

Quite right that both players take the time to consider the offers coming their way. They've both had good years.

I think Mulumbu will get his big payday and (so long as it's not 20 miles up the road) I'd wish him all the best and thank for him for his efforts this season. I'd love to keep him, but I suspect he can get multiples of what we can offer elsewhere and he's not getting any younger. Findlay I really hope will stay. He's settled here, has come on a lot over the season, has a manager who rates and trusts him, and experienced players around him to learn from. The ideal situation for at least the next 2 or 3 years.

13 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Off the BBC Gossip.

Youssouf Mulumbu has given Kilmarnock hope he might stick around to help Steve Clarke take the club into Europe. (Daily Record, newspaper edition)

Amazing how quickly the so-called journalists can read killiefc.com

Found this article on the Times this morning.

Scottish football will be sad to see the back of Youssouf Mulumbu. The 31-year-old Congolese midfielder has been a stand-out in Kilmarnock’s steady rise under Steve Clarke, but yesterday the player indicated that, after six months at Rugby Park, his next contract is likely to take him away from Ayrshire.

Mulumbu didn’t rule out staying, but it would be extraordinary if, after his performances this season, a bigger club offering a more lucrative deal does not come in for him.

There were emotional scenes at Rugby Park on Sunday as Clarke, Mulumbu and the rest of the Kilmarnock players signed off with a 1-0 win over Hearts. After the final whistle Mulumbu appeared to be waving goodbye to supporters.

“There are some offers that are very hard to turn down,” he said yesterday. “This is why I need to speak with my agent and Steve Clarke to see what’s the best option for me. I’m not young and time is running fast. At 31 years old I’ll see what the best option is for me. If I’ve got an opportunity better than Kilmarnock, I will maybe take it. I’ve really enjoyed my time at Kilmarmock but now I need time to speak with the gaffer and the board to see what’s going to happen next season.”

Mulumbu insisted that remaining with Kilmarnock had not been ruled out, leaving the tantalising hope among supporters that this measured and skilful footballer might still be wearing their blue and white stripes next season. “I haven’t ruled out staying,” he said. “I haven’t decided yet. I will go on holiday for a week and after that I’ll meet Steve Clarke and we’ll see what’s happening for me in the future. I will probably have other opportunities so I will also sit down with my agent. 

“I just want to enjoy my football: this is why I’m not saying I’m leaving for sure. The financial side for me is not really important. I want a project where I will enjoy playing football and will be competitive like we have been. This is what I’m going to look for in the future. It could be with Kilmarnock or with another team.”

Mulumbu also warned that Clarke being at Rugby Park next season could not be taken as a given among supporters. The 54-year-old has utterly transformed the club’s fortunes since he arrived last October and Mulumbu believes that other, bigger clubs are sure to be interested in hiring the Kilmarnock manager.

“I won’t be surprised [if he leaves] but it will be his decision,” said Mulumbu. “With the work he did here and before with West Brom and Reading he could get a better option.

“I think Steve Clarke is a coach who knows how to win games. With all respect to Kilmarnock, he is a top manager. He is one of the best I have ever worked for. If he stays with Kilmarnock he will want to finish above fifth place.”

If he does leave, Mulumbu believes Kilmarnock will still have a dressing room full of potential. “I’ve enjoyed coming into training every day and discovering players like JJ [Jordan Jones], Greg Taylor and Greg Kiltie to help them to progress,” he said.

“I think JJ will progress and we will see him in the Championship or the Premier League. I think Kiltie has to have more impact in matches, but I think he can do that, and that’s why I am positive that those kids will play in a better team in the future.”

It sounds like Clarke saying that this is his project and he is not going to be tempted away would have a positive influence on Mulumbu, other players and perhaps potential signings.

What Mulumbu says is contradictory anyway - on one hand that he's not young and time is running out, on the other that money isn't everything and he wants to play for a club which is competitive.

The likelihood is that he will leave, I think.

3 minutes ago, skygod said:

It sounds like Clarke saying that this is his project and he is not going to be tempted away would have a positive influence on Mulumbu, other players and perhaps potential signings.

What Mulumbu says is contradictory anyway - on one hand that he's not young and time is running out, on the other that money isn't everything and he wants to play for a club which is competitive.

The likelihood is that he will leave, I think.

Maybe time is running out for him to play at a higher level again?

2 hours ago, Scouser2 said:

just sounds like a sensible player keeping all his options open -- whilst showing great respect for club he had been at this past season -and getting him back to playing --he is also letting other clubs know he is available 

This. Nothing overtly new or positive here. Being respectful but still courting interest. He will go. I’m increasingly worried about the potential destination. Hopefully French clubs come calling or a decent championship club in England. But understandably given he’s a free transfer and current salary the Glasgow mob will be seriously interested. 

Mulumbu will be off and with best wishes

Findlay should do the sensible thing and sign for us for a year or so, he's came on a great amount in the short spell.

Granted he might get a championship team interested but he practically disappeared at Newcastle, really a money vs potential situation for him, go for a better contract now, stay at Killie and improve and get a much better contract.

As with anything that's happened on the field since Sir Stevie has been here, we will have a plan B if both leave

1 minute ago, Dan1el said:

Mulumbu will be off and with best wishes

Findlay should do the sensible thing and sign for us for a year or so, he's came on a great amount in the short spell.

Granted he might get a championship team interested but he practically disappeared at Newcastle, really a money vs potential situation for him, go for a better contract now, stay at Killie and improve and get a much better contract.

As with anything that's happened on the field since Sir Stevie has been here, we will have a plan B if both leave

I wouldn't expect any news on Findlay for the next week or so, he's in Benidorm on a lads holiday with Taylor & Thomas, JJ & Frizzell had to pull out last minute.