Chris Burke

Ktid1869

I'm not sure what his current contract situation is but I'm hearing people say he'll be gone after today. 

I thought he showed when he came on today that he is still a decent player and could be a useful player to bring on in a game. I'll always remember him for that goal at ibrox.

No surprise if it was his last game, Has had number of injuries and he has hardly featured under SC, even when JJ was missing he sat on bench unused.

still has the skills if defenders give him space but feel the wages could be better used 

Edited by Scouser2

If he can keep himself fit I think he can still be a useful player for us next season to come on for the last 25 mins or so. He's an intelligent player who keeps possession & gets a lot of crosses into the box. We don't have enough pros/ ex-pros working in our academy, if he was interested in staying in the game he could combine the 2 as I think he's be a great example & influence on the young kids.

Don't think Burke has another season in him. Has been a decent squad player this year and sure he will have been an asset to the dressing room and on the training pitch but think after two or three seasons failing to play regular football that it may be time for him to call it a day.

1 hour ago, casual observer said:

Always rated him and if he’s happy to be an impact sub I’d happily offer him another 12 months. He has end product, which is a rare commodity in our league and will have a positive influence on young players I’d hope with his experience of playing at a high level. 

Absolutely this. Always looks good when coming on from the bench, but I imagine he'd be happier starting games. 

He'll be on a decent wage so one I think we could possibly better utilise to bring in a first 11 player. Saying that, if we took him for another 12 months I wouldn't be disappointed - particularly if JJ might be on the move in the summer. 

Anytime I've seen him this year he's been effective. I don't think at his age he will be chasing money and his likely destination would be to a Championship side in Scotland.

If he's not wanting much and happy to be a 5 or 6 game a season player then it's worth considering. He's miles better on the right of our front three than Kiltie is on current form.

19 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

If he's not wanting much and happy to be a 5 or 6 game a season player then it's worth considering.

He's not a five or six game a season player because he simply doesn't seem to have 90 minutes in him any longer.

He played the full match at Celtic Park in the League Cup but the closest he came again was 84 mins, again at Celtic in the 1-1, and 86 at Well in December.

Which is fine if you want someone on the bench to bring on to see out a match, but it's a bit of a luxury and, at 35 in December, his legs could go any time.

And, with his remaining playing time limited, would he be content to sit on the bench 90% of the time?

3 hours ago, piffer said:

You don’t give out contracts based on a 20minute cameo against Hearts youths on the last day of the season. 

Yes he posed a threat but he’s not done anywhere near enough all season to justify a new deal imo. 

This. Where is the money going to come from for new signings next season? Burke will be one of our highest earners. 

Loads of questions to be answered before you consider a new deal. How reliable will he be? Does he justify a wage? Is his presence blocking the path of someone from the development side? Could the wages be used to pick up another player who would contribute more to the team over a season? 

Burke has been right down the pecking order for a wide berth in the team all season. JJ, Thomas, Kiltie, McKenzie, Erwin and Brophy all selected to play ahead of him since SSC came in. 

The way he’s talking Clarke doesn’t want 20minute cameos or guys who can give you five or six games a season. He’s looking for quality we can rely on.

2 hours ago, Bullitt said:

No he won't. 

Lee Clark seemed desperate to sign him when he was on trial in 2016 but was outbid by Ross County. 

Which of our squad members in July 2017 would have been on a higher salary than Burke? Your point above that he might be willing to play for a lower salary next season is a good one though. 

7 hours ago, piffer said:

Loads of questions to be answered before you consider a new deal. How reliable will he be? Does he justify a wage? Is his presence blocking the path of someone from the development side? Could the wages be used to pick up another player who would contribute more to the team over a season? 

Burke has been right down the pecking order for a wide berth in the team all season. JJ, Thomas, Kiltie, McKenzie, Erwin and Brophy all selected to play ahead of him since SSC came in. 

The way he’s talking Clarke doesn’t want 20minute cameos or guys who can give you five or six games a season. He’s looking for quality we can rely on.

I don't see a future for Thomas at RP. After the League Cup was over Burke has made a bigger contribution than Thomas.

No one is suggesting Burke will be a first choice but he is a very useful player to come on a hold the ball when we are protecting a lead - something that players like Thomas and also Brophy would do well to learn.

Any time I have seen Burke (which has been about 5 times coming on as a sub) he has added to the composure of the team and used the ball cleverly.

I am not sure you would put retaining him above any of the other re-signings we need to try and get done but if he is still there next season I will not be complaining.