Tommy Burns

Squirrelhumper

He was a special man. Probably my happiest time supporting Killie when he was here. 

His goals against A*r at Somerset were brilliant but seeing his joy at Hibs, the day we stayed up, with thousands of Killie fans behind him in the terracing was fantastic. 

We wouldn’t be where we are today without Tommy Burns. RIP. 

I remember him through his interview with the Killie History DVD when he talks about the catastrophic chain of events leading up to his first game at East Fife being abandoned when the ref though Davie MacKinnon had hypothermia.

As LH31 commented, his ability to connect with the fans was outstanding.

My parents met Tommy and the team at Seamill Hydro the weekend of the semi v Rangers in 94. It was my wedding the following week and my dad asked if TB would send us a card which he duly did.

https://www.musicglue.com/celtic-graves-society/products/tommy-burns-commemoration-booklet

I'm not sure if there is any mention of his time at killie in the booklet however I would hope so.

Weird one.  Was in the Galleon and as I walked past the passport photo booth I noticed there were photos lying that hadn't been lifted out.  Went over and took them out to find they were all of Tommy.  At the next game I gave them back to him and he ripped off the bottom one and gave me it as a thank you.  Football wise his goals v Ayr, his agonizing miss v St Johnstone and the story of him climbing into the basket at Ibrox are the best memories.

An absolutely great man a true gentleman. Although he was a Celtic man he allways gave killie 100%. He really loved his time here. That day at Easter road will always stand out for me. Telling the press it wasn’t about him it was the players and the fans. We have been there ever since. RIP

12 minutes ago, Killie alan said:

An absolutely great man a true gentleman. Although he was a Celtic man he allways gave killie 100%. He really loved his time here. That day at Easter road will always stand out for me. Telling the press it wasn’t about him it was the players and the fans. We have been there ever since. RIP

A sincere and truly genuine guy i remembered when they launched the killie lotto and looking for agents tommy burns  was there and the scottish cup was on a tour of scotland then myself and Riccarton Bluebell got talking to him and he said to us with the money we can make we can win this cup how prophetic he was we are where ew are now because of him my fav manager in over 50 years of supporting our great club

I only "met" him at the Open Day signing autographs and would echo the comments made above - with the career he'd had, he didn't need to be as friendly and polite as he was. "Never meet your heroes" is not a phrase you could use when speaking about Tommy.

Fast forward a month & we won our first tie in the League Cup (Clyde 2-0?) with a relatively unimpressive display. My mate & I walked past the FB Stand where the home dressing room window was left open & heard TB's post match analysis - the gentleman was gone & he let the players know in no uncertain terms what he expected of them in a Killie shirt - a great man & a great manager.

Oh aye, and the press conference when he signed & someone asked him if he found the pitch @ RP nice and bouncy for diving on, which he took with the spirit & humour intended. 

When I was Primary School. he came and did a talk on his faith. I went to St Anthony's in Saltcoats and vast majority were Celtic fans but as I supported Killie and went every week, I was allowed to meet him even though it was mainly for P7s.

He was a great guy, I remember before the game at ER when we stayed up and we were there before the gates were even open and even before the team arrived.

He sat with us at the main entrance and talked for a bit, even though we had a huge, huge game 2 hours away.

The day he left was the only day in my life I've cried over anything football related, I was devastated. The reaction of the Killie support after that was just raw emotion, I don't think anyone looks back on it and is proud but he never held grudges and he was welcomed back at RP many times afterwards.

Certainly a massive part of our history and a complete one off. The weekend he died and hearing Mac the Knife at RP as the teams came out was a day i'll never forget.

Horrible disease that took him far, far too soon.

Remember going into Magnum in Irvine with my two boys when tommy and billy stark were walking back to their car after training at the beach park with the team and as my boys had on their Killie tops he came over and spoke to us it was brilliant to see the look on the two of their faces top top man and as has been said his lob against st j in the cup and last day at easter road fantastic man who gave us all fantastic memories RIP Tommy!!

As well as the obvious ones (goals at Somerset, that day at Easter Road), a couple of vivid memories I have is of his first season with us.

Missing the penalty against Stranraer in the Scottish Cup shoot-out - only time I've heard a player getting a standing ovation and his name sung after missing one !

Also, a game against East Fife at RP towards the end of that season - we won 2-1 with a late goal, TB put the cross in for somebody to score and his celebration involved him ignoring every player on the park and running the length of the terracing screaming at the supporters ! (was a bad-tempered game and a sweet win if I recall correctly).

Funnily enough, despite all the success and goals, one of the first things that springs to mind for me when Burns gets mentioned is THAT miss and his reaction at McDiarmid Park in the Cup replay a couple of years later .... 

Edited by Dundonald_Killie

My favourite person ever associated with Killie. My oldest boy was a year old when he left us to go back to Celtic. My son was in hospital at the time the news came through that Tommy was leaving - what a terrible week that was.

His sheer presence and charisma were intoxicating. Like others have said - the Burns era was my favourite time to be a Killie fan.

For all his goals v Ayr; the win at Ibrox; staying up at Easter Road etc the image I always get in my head when I think about him was after a game v Dundee Utd in April 94. Our first season in the Premier League and we'd been on a bit of a losing streak towards the end of the season (I think !). The game at Tannadice we needed to win to stay in touch (I think 3 teams might have gone down that year ??). This was just a couple of games before the last day game at Easter Road. Anyway we won 3-1 with 2 goals from Bobby Williamson and 1 from Shaun McSkimming. Tommy didn't play that night but Billy Stark did. At the end of the game I remember he came over to applaud the Killie fans and I remember the look on his face just made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. He was able to generate this sense of being part of something really special ( to be honest Stevie Clarke is doing similar right now). Anyway just a personal memory.

The day he died I heard it on the radio driving through Saltcoats. Had to pull the car over. First time I've ever been genuinely upset over the death of someone outside family and close friends - and by then he'd been away from Killie for 14/15 years. Went at night to RP to put down a scarf with my two boys and I struggled with it.

Just a genuinely great man.

My favourite TB story was posted by someone on here I think, and was actually from the mid 2000s.   A group of Killie fans were walking back into Glasgow from a game at Firhill when a big black car screeched to a halt next to them. The great man himself was leaning across the passenger seat shouting "How'd we get on?" :hurrah:

10 years gone but never to be forgotten.