In Praise of Scott Boyd

Here is a guy who because of Kris Boyd's legendary achievements and miraculous comeback won't even be remembered as the best 'Boyd' at the club!

Nevertheless he's been a consistent 7/10 performer whenever he's called upon. The clean sheets in the demanding last two matches of the season are testimony to that. To have someone who is happy to be a back up and yet performs so reliably is a real asset to the club. Given that Kirk Broadfoot isn't getting any younger and will always be vulnerable to suspension/injury it's great to have this guy at the club. Hope we can sign Findlay plus one other (with Wilson/Dicker as another option) but whenever folk talk about more exciting signings it seems to me that we're doing it on the basis we can rely on Scott in a key position whenever needed.

The Chris Burke thread seemed to be suggesting that he could do a similar job in more advanced positions and I'm firmly on the fence on that one. If SSC thinks he can do a 'Scott Boyd' then fair enough.

1 hour ago, david mcbeth said:

He has been very solid any time he has played. Defines "no nonsense". It's ironic that County who rejected him are away, yet he is in the top 6 with us. Good for him. PS A Lee Clark signing (shhh)

Was just thinking that, if they had him this season they might have just survived 

22 hours ago, Darryl1869 said:

Was just thinking that, if they had him this season they might have just survived  

The suggestion Staggies might have stayed up with Scott still on their books set me thinking about fine margins between relative success and failure. Could same point be made for Jags and Liam Lindsay (I know Barnsley were relegated!) because I thought he was a good young and mobile centre half? It may account for some of their decline this season.

Either way these really are key positions in our league and close season signings here are crucial.