12 best goalkeepers in Scotland right now

skygod

They're the league's highest scorers. They've scored 27 more goals than Killie over the season, almost one goal a game more. 

Does anyone really think that none of their forward players would get in the Killie side? 

Edited by fraz65

7 hours ago, fraz65 said:

I thought this was a light hearted debate. I'm not going to respond to personal insults Mark. 

Ha ha you just did fraz, it wasn't an insult, it was a light hearted comment on how I felt you were coming across. I don't think you, or anyone else at RP, are secret huns. And to respond to your last comment, I don't think any of the Rangers forwards are better than what we have up front at the moment. Stats are strange things and don't reflect the whole picture, as per my previous point about some teams setting up their systems to defend against The Rangers rather than taking the game to them. Most teams, us included, that have attacked them this season have either beaten them or drawn with them

25 minutes ago, Mark Robertson said:

Ha ha you just did fraz, it wasn't an insult, it was a light hearted comment on how I felt you were coming across. I don't think you, or anyone else at RP, are secret huns. And to respond to your last comment, I don't think any of the Rangers forwards are better than what we have up front at the moment. Stats are strange things and don't reflect the whole picture, as per my previous point about some teams setting up their systems to defend against The Rangers rather than taking the game to them. Most teams, us included, that have attacked them this season have either beaten them or drawn with them

If the reason that they've gained points is that some teams play more defensively against them, how have they ended the season as top scorers? 

As others have said if this is a thread about the striking merits of THE and not about the 12 best goalkeepers then there are obviously a number of reasons and no doubt they have some decent players, but just not many outstanding which is the point people are trying to make.

Goals are spread about their team much more, taking their "£10M" Colombian aside, both their fullbacks score reasonably regularly, their wide players both tend to score more regularly than ours and they carry a threat from free kicks in all positions. It doesn't make them great players though.

Also, given who they pretend to be, they get a lot more penalties and free kicks in dangerous areas from the brothers in black than most other teams.

24 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

If the reason that they've gained points is that some teams play more defensively against them, how have they ended the season as top scorers? 

No point in scoring five in a game if you're going to concede five.

Rangers are terrible... the players you mentioned, with exception of Candeias, are terrible. I mean Ryan Jack FFS!

4 hours ago, Bullitt said:

No point in scoring five in a game if you're going to concede five.

Rangers are terrible... the players you mentioned, with exception of Candeias, are terrible. I mean Ryan Jack FFS!

And yet one that finished 12 points ahead of the best Killie side in a generation. I'm interested in how you reconcile that. 

33 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

And yet one that finished 12 points ahead of the best Killie side in a generation. I'm interested in how you reconcile that. 

Best Killie side in a generation... after 8 games... look at our record vs theirs after game week eight. Then you can tell me how you can "reconcile" that Rangers are a superior side...

7 hours ago, Bullitt said:

Best Killie side in a generation... after 8 games... look at our record vs theirs after game week eight. Then you can tell me how you can "reconcile" that Rangers are a superior side...

We were eleven points behind and finished up the same way so the two clubs' records were the same after week 8.

I'm sure if you offered Steve Clarke his pick of the Rangers squad he wouldn't turn up his nose. Who and how many, I can't say but I'm sure there would be few.

Edited by skygod

4 hours ago, skygod said:

We were eleven points behind and finished up the same way so the two clubs' records were the after week 8.

I'm sure if you offered Steve Clarke his pick of the Rangers squad he wouldn't turn up his nose. Who and how many, I can't say but I'm sure there would be few.

Bringing facts into this discussion doesn't seem to have much traction but thanks for trying Skygod. 

Two things with Rangers for me - They do have more quality that people want to admit. And players like Foderingham and Tavernier are tarred with a 'huddy' brush from their earlier performances that isn't actually justified.

But I also think they show the value of having a few players that bit better than the teams around you. In a league like ours, i think sometimes even one very good player is the difference between three or four places in the league. Look at Motherwell post Moult. So I think Rangers as a whole are a poor side but the quality of guys like Murphy, Morelos and Candeis shows in the end.

Sadly, I think the Gerrard connection is going to get them a number of really good players next season. 

1 hour ago, fraz65 said:

Bringing facts into this discussion doesn't seem to have much traction but thanks for trying Skygod. 

It proved that under Clarke Rangers got exactly the same points as Killie. So, again, tell me how Rangers are better?

7 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

It proved that under Clarke Rangers got exactly the same points as Killie. So, again, tell me how Rangers are better?

A "terrible" side got the same points as Steve Clarke's Killie (and 12 more for the season overall, scoring 27 more goals) and you have still to offer an explanation for this inconsistency. Unless, of course, you think Steve Clarke's Killie are also a terrible side.

26 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

A "terrible" side got the same points as Steve Clarke's Killie (and 12 more for the season overall, scoring 27 more goals) and you have still to offer an explanation for this inconsistency. Unless, of course, you think Steve Clarke's Killie are also a terrible side.

You got an explanation.

They finished 11 points ahead, not 12 and they were 11 ahead when Clarke came in.

When Clarke came in, Killie were -8 GD. Rangers after eight games had a GD of +6 giving a difference of 14 between the sides.

So a team we've played away from home 3 times and once at home finished the season with a record against us of DLLW. So in head to head games we have taken 7 points to their 4.

Again since game week 8, Killie lost six games. Rangers lost 8 games.

Rangers announced 3 matches before the end of the season their 3rd appointment of a manager, 4th if you include JN and JJ being in the dugout. Why sack two managers in a season if they were superior to the rest?

You're only semi valid point is they had a positive goal difference over Clarke of 13 goals.

So, again, with those numbers, tell me how they are superior? A semi competent manager and two central midfielders was all it took to topple a side assembled for millions made up of "Rangers men" who love the club. Are we suggesting they didn't try for their boyhood hero's? Or are they just not very good footballers?

I never said Clarke's team is terrible but he will sign players because he knows where we need to improve to push further up the table. If he was offered Rangers players for hee haw who would they replace?

That was first thing I asked you and you said Candeias who I agreed with... then said Dorrans who many Rangers fan in the country thinks is a wage thief and Ryan ****ing Jack!!

So again, tell me who you replace? That was what I asked all along and didn't get an answer to before you started hiding behind numbers (That weren't even accurate).

5 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

You got an explanation.

They finished 11 points ahead, not 12 and they were 11 ahead when Clarke came in.

When Clarke came in, Killie were -8 GD. Rangers after eight games had a GD of +6 giving a difference of 14 between the sides.

So a team we've played away from home 3 times and once at home finished the season with a record against us of DLLW. So in head to head games we have taken 7 points to their 4.

Again since game week 8, Killie lost six games. Rangers lost 8 games.

Rangers announced 3 matches before the end of the season their 3rd appointment of a manager, 4th if you include JN and JJ being in the dugout. Why sack two managers in a season if they were superior to the rest?

You're only semi valid point is they had a positive goal difference over Clarke of 13 goals.

So, again, with those numbers, tell me how they are superior? A semi competent manager and two central midfielders was all it took to topple a side assembled for millions made up of "Rangers men" who love the club. Are we suggesting they didn't try for their boyhood hero's? Or are they just not very good footballers?

I never said Clarke's team is terrible but he will sign players because he knows where we need to improve to push further up the table. If he was offered Rangers players for hee haw who would they replace?

That was first thing I asked you and you said Candeias who I agreed with... then said Dorrans who many Rangers fan in the country thinks is a wage thief and Ryan ****ing Jack!!

So again, tell me who you replace? That was what I asked all along and didn't get an answer to before you started hiding behind numbers (That weren't even accurate).

Perhaps you could first provide some evidence where i've stated that Rangers are "superior" to Killie, rather than my actual viewpoint that some of their players might be better than some of our players.

If you could stop making things up, and actually address the points that i've raised, we might be able to have something approaching a sensible debate.

We were eleven points behind and finished up the same way so the two clubs' records were the after week 8.

Think after watching the champions league final it just highlights how costly goalkeeping errors can be but also how they are highlighted ten times more than outfield players howlers maybe it should make us realise that the few mistakes Jamie Mac has made are not really to bad in comparison to the Liverpool goalie who at least has came out and held his hands up to what it cost his team.On another note from the same game what about the cynical tackle on salah by Ramos he new exactly what he was doing!

Think after watching the champions league final it just highlights how costly goalkeeping errors can be but also how they are highlighted ten times more than outfield players howlers maybe it should make us realise that the few mistakes Jamie Mac has made are not really to bad in comparison to the Liverpool goalie who at least has came out and held his hands up to what it cost his team.On another note from the same game what about the cynical tackle on salah by Ramos he new exactly what he was doing!

To say MacDonalds aren’t as bad in comparison isn’t really fair. I doubt Scousers would be going as mental if he’d made those blunders in a 3-3 draw at Stoke. Likewise if MacDonald's clanger at Easter Road had been in Cup Final or relegation/Euro decider people certainly wouldn’t be leaping to his defence. 

MacDonald doesn’t make as consistent blunders as others but had he had one in a huge game there would be more folk in The witch hunt than the usual suspects. 

Another way to look at things is if a keeper capable of such blunders as Karius, is playing for Liverpool, while Jamie is stuck with us, it’s because people far more knowledgeable than us have looked at Jamie and concluded there are too many flaws in his game. Just like the “usual suspects” have contended all along. 

Blunders are annoying but they only cost you a few goals a season. Failing to come for crosses or command your box cost far more. Bringing up every blunder every keeper has ever made, won’t change MacDonald into a good keeper. It might make some insecure people feel better about their opinions though. 

To say MacDonalds aren’t as bad in comparison isn’t really fair. I doubt Scousers would be going as mental if he’d made those blunders in a 3-3 draw at Stoke. Likewise if MacDonald's clanger at Easter Road had been in Cup Final or relegation/Euro decider people certainly wouldn’t be leaping to his defence. 

MacDonald doesn’t make as consistent blunders as others but had he had one in a huge game there would be more folk in The witch hunt than the usual suspects. 

Didn't he make a blunder in the Scottish Cup Final?