Eintracht Frankfurt

Alan56

7 hours ago, killie1961 said:

ITS a certainty thats who we will play the greatest result in Europe from a scottish team when the standard was a higher quality than in recent years Bring it on

I've watched the highlights of matches from that era. The football definitely wasn't of a higher standard. 

9 hours ago, killie1961 said:

ITS a certainty thats who we will play the greatest result in Europe from a scottish team when the standard was a higher quality than in recent years Bring it on

The standard of teams in Europe is better now than it was then. 

Fitter, faster, better.

For example Real Madrid team of just now would pump the Madrid team pf the 60s.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

37 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The standard of teams in Europe is better now than it was then. 

Fitter, faster, better.

For example Real Madrid team of just now would pump the Madrid team pf the 60s.

You'd certainly expect the current team to win, those old Real Madrid players must be in their 80's by now.. 

Watching fans these days go apes**t when a goalie takes an extra fifteen seconds on a goal kick does make me wonder what they'd have done in the days prior to the passback rule. 

Keeper picks up the ball, rolls it to defender who plays it straight back. Keeper picks it up. 

Repeat. 

Or running around the penalty area with the ball in hand for as long as he likes, as long as he bounces it every four steps! 

You only have to look at the improvement in athletics records since the 1960s to realise how much physical performance has improved. Players are bigger, fitter and faster. 

But it’s no longer as technical a game with players having more time on the ball back then.

The likes of Andy Kerr had far more time and space in the penalty area than Kris Boyd has now. 

2 hours ago, skygod said:

Or running around the penalty area with the ball in hand for as long as he likes, as long as he bounces it every four steps! 

You only have to look at the improvement in athletics records since the 1960s to realise how much physical performance has improved. Players are bigger, fitter and faster. 

But it’s no longer as technical a game with players having more time on the ball back then.

The likes of Andy Kerr had far more time and space in the penalty area than Kris Boyd has now. 

Agreed. Physically game is superior but technically it's going backwards at an alarming rate. You only need to look at football in late 90's and 00's to see how the quality is dropping.

They already played us in the centenary celebration in 1969 so I don't think embarrassment would be an issue. Not on their part, anyway.

They are more likely to be honoured to be asked but incredulous that we have so little imagination as to ask them again, fifty years on. 

Are we a club with such little history that we have to ask the same club - based on one cup-tie - to celebrate both the 100th and 150th anniversaries? Have we really done nothing memorable since that night 54 years ago?

Imagine Coleraine had invited us to celebrate their Fairs Cup win over us. I'm sure we would have agreed but might have been a little surprised to be asked again 50 years later.

There's at least one thread on here in which possible opponents for a 150th anniversary match are discussed. There's options other than Eintracht if the board are imaginative enough.

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, historyman said:

I would be hugely excited about seeing the German Cup winners play at Rugby Park. Much more interesting than another English team.  

As would I, although they may well not be the cup-holders this time next year!

I don't know if the wider public would prefer to see them than an EPL side though.