Celtic

Is it worth having Scottish football at all? If Celtic have got so much money there is no competition at all.

I don't think I've seen a more one sided cup final for several years.

If there's no competition what's the point?

Edited by gdevoy

2 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Is it worth having Scottish football at all? If Celtic have got so much money there is no competition at all.

They are the best team,with the best players and currently more money . What do you suggest? As for that being the most one sided cup final , you have a very short memory.

Because there is a chance that they might raise the standard of the rest of the clubs? 

In fact, there’s plenty of evidence that some clubs were much improved last season - Hibs and Killie, for a start, and Aberdeen, Rangers and Hearts had their moments.

Motherwell did well in both cups. 

Just because Celtic were still too good for the rest doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be a competition. 

Woukd you prefer that Celtic were worse and the competition was closer, but of a lower standard? 

Even when Rangers were in their tax evading pomp, there were seasons where one cheek of the arse won the league by twenty odd points. There seems to be a myth that when Rangers weren't paying PAYE, things were closer. I think we've had two final day deciders over the last twenty years, and no-one outside Glasgow winning the league for around 35 years.

I don't think there was much competition for the English Premiership this season either was there?

Im just frustrated that nobody can get near them becàuse of the European money they get. This is compounded by the fawning adulation of the media. 

Got a bot carried away in the OP because there have been some really one sided finals I can remember.

Don't know what the answer is except for a Scotland side appeal to support your local team instead of the Twisted Two.

15 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Im just frustrated that nobody can get near them becàuse of the European money they get. This is compounded by the fawning adulation of the media. 

Got a bot carried away in the OP because there have been some really one sided finals I can remember.

Don't know what the answer is except for a Scotland side appeal to support your local team instead of the Twisted Two.

Who would start an appeal like that? Certainly not the SFA or SPFL the supposed custodians of our game. They are so in love with SevCo and Celtic that I'm surprised theyve not had an appeal to STOP fans following their local teams...

10 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

If the answer is a strong Rangers it is definitely the wrong question.

I completely agree. I have been brainwashed by SFA and Scottish media who believe all problems will be solved once  The Rangers are back where they belong.  (which I was surprised to discover doesn't mean bottom of League 2)

13 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Good point. Anybody want s season ticket? I’m not going back.

MON the latest to spread the strong Rangers mantra: 

Strong Rangers would boost Celtic's European chances insists former Hoops boss Martin O'Neill

The Parkhead hero, who led Celtic to the 3003 (sic) UEFA Cup final in Seville, reckons a challenge from Ibrox would push his old club on.

Martin O'Neill believes Celtic's European ambitions would benefit from a "strong Rangers " side.

The former Celtic boss, who took the Hoops to the 2003 UEFA Cup final in Seville where they lost 3-2 to Porto, returned to Parkhead with his Republic of Ireland side for Scott Brown's testimonial game.

After the 2-2 draw, the Celtic skipper was able to pose in front of all three domestic trophies for an unprecedented second successive year and under manager Brendan Rodgers, following Saturday's 2-0 William Hill Scottish Cup final win over Motherwell at Hampden.

O'Neill , who won the treble with Celtic in 2001, said afterwards:

"It is extremely difficult. Even the great Jock Stein had difficulty with it as well, but of course the 1967 side (which won the European Cup) eclipsed everything.

"It is a great achievement. To do it is very good, to do it twice on the trot is excellent and they deserve it too.

"You would be hoping now that if Rangers are going to get stronger that can only be good.

"I have said that for weeks, months, years now; Rangers getting stronger would only benefit this football club as well too, to try to get stronger in Europe.

"There doesn't seem to be any resting on laurels here domestically, but if that competition gets stronger then Celtic will rise to it.

"If Rangers are in a position to delve into a transfer market and get some decent players then that will be a little reminder to Celtic.

"Celtic are dominating the league. There has not been any casualness as you see with the six competitions they have won but I think he (Rodgers) would welcome that, perhaps I'm wrong."

The Ibrox club will go into next season under the guidance of new boss Steven Gerrard, an appointment which finds favour with O'Neill.

He said: "Personally I think it's a really good appointment. I do.

"I know there is always a viewpoint in terms of inexperience.

"But he's bringing Gary McAllister along who has loads and loads of experience, so the combination should be good.

"But yeah, I think (the appointment) should be really good for Rangers.

"Obviously he was a brilliant, brilliant player but that doesn't always materialise into being a brilliant manager.

"However, I think he's got all the attributes and he wants to have a go. And why not?"

Monday is the 15th anniversary of Seville but O'Neill believes another European journey for Celtic is not out of the question.

His 2003 side failed in their only Champions League qualifier to drop down to the UEFA Cup while Rodgers' side have four qualifiers next season to get into the group stages of Europe's premier competition with the Europa League a possible safety net.

The Irishman said: "I think it can be done again.

"Those qualifying are the games that used to worry me. It was always a difficulty. Hopefully, those days are not gone.

"It would be nice if Rangers could get stronger and that seems as if that might be on the cards.

"A good strong Rangers side is great for the league and actually, remarkably, good for Celtic.

"Brendan is dominating domestic football here and now the next step is to try to achieve that (European run). I don't think it is impossible."

(Record)

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:49 PM, gdevoy said:

Almost my full life there has been only two teams competing to win the league, there's one just now.

I couldn't give a f**k either way.

Would you enjoy watching Scottish Football more if the huns won the league from time to time?

Celtic won 9IAR in the 60s/70s, Rangers did it in 80/90s....nothing lasts forever.

As for one sided cup finals, you must have missed ours vs Hibs!

Whoever wins the league has zero affect on my enjoyment of watching Scottish Football. Motherwell never turned up on Saturday but they were very unlucky in November in the league cup final.

Old huns won something in 2010/11 since the nuhuns arrived, and have been giving the colins a run for the Never Will crown, this has happened in Scottish football:

Winners

Killie, LC 2011/12

Hearts, SC 2011/12

St Mirren LC 2012/13

Aberdeen LC 2013/14

St Johnstone SC 2013/14 (1ST Trophy)

ICT SC 2014/15 (1ST Trophy)

Rossco LC 2015/16 (1ST Trophy)

Hibs SC 2015/16 

Finalists

LC 2012-2018

We beat the tinks and then. Hearts, ICT, United, Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell were beaten finalists.

SC 2012-2018 

Hearts beat Hibs and then. Hibs, United, Falkirk, nuhuns (lost to a hibs side who hadn't won the thing since Buddha was thin), Aberdeen, Motherwell were beaten finalists

Yes. Scottish football needs a strong nuhuns...

The old Rangers died on2012 Newco supporters are in papers moaning about celtics double treble saying never would have happened if they had not been out of the top league they are the architects of their own downfall if they had not cheated their way to 9 in a row  all self inflicted they brought this upon themslves hopefully we will finish above Sevco in the new season

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Almost my full life there has been only two teams competing to win the league, there's one just now.

There was a spell in the early 80s when the twisted two could not get near anything for the Sheep and the Arabs. The Sheep won the European Cup Winners Cup and the Arabs lost the Uefa Cup final.

Sadly it is really just about money these days. Ceptic have wheel barrows full, Rankers like to pose about like they have some and the rest of Scottish football is as good as on The Burro.

As I said what we need is a massive campaign to encourage folks to support their local team. Don't give your money to Ceptic, Man U or Chelsea, they already have plenty, and Rankers will just waste it. Get out there and give your f**king money to your local team! 

2 hours ago, killie1961 said:

The old Rangers died on2012 Newco supporters are in papers moaning about celtics double treble saying never would have happened if they had not been out of the top league they are the architects of their own downfall if they had not cheated their way to 9 in a row  all self inflicted they brought this upon themslves hopefully we will finish above Sevco in the new season

As much as it sticks in my throat to say it, I don't think much cheating was done by Rangers in achieving 9 in a row, that came about after Celtic got their house in order and started winning titles again.

There was a spell in the early 80s when the twisted two could not get near anything for the Sheep and the Arabs. The Sheep won the European Cup Winners Cup and the Arabs lost the Uefa Cup final.

Hearts almost won the league in 86 too.

Sadly it is really just about money these days. Ceptic have wheel barrows full, Rankers like to pose about like they have some and the rest of Scottish football is as good as on The Burro.

As I said what we need is a massive campaign to encourage folks to support their local team. Don't give your money to Ceptic, Man U or Chelsea, they already have plenty, and Rankers will just waste it. Get out there and give your f**king money to your local team! 

I'm aware of that however I wasn't alive when Aberdeen won the CWC

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm aware of that however I wasn't alive when Aberdeen won the CWC

As my mate keeps on reminding me when I start to complain about the Day Glo orang boots (the only proper colour for fitba boots is black) I'm jist an auld git these days. :)