Season tickets

Calzo96

As season tickets are selling well shouldn’t we start putting out free match tickets to local schools again? Ardrossan, Saltcoats, Irvine and of course the schools in Kilmarnock? 

Start targeting people at the start of the season. The weather is usually good in August and we could potentially have a few new fans in the ground.

Schools should be given free tickets as standard if they are in Kilmarnock or surrounding areas.

It makes no odds to our balance sheet doing this, and if schools can organise through PTA adults to help co-ordinate, then it should be a given.

Other clubs in Scotland do it and if we want to increase our support long term then it's a must.

25 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

we have just had good season, i see no reason to give away tickets free. get a decent priced deal out there, people should pay to see us.

Remember Ayrshire is second behind Glasgow in Child Poverty. Not to mention nobody is going to pay £15 if they aren’t into football or support one of the old filth.

I looked into it a while ago and got nowhere, then again recently. Was getting a bit frustrating and I kinda gave up. We give away free kids seasons with every season ticket and only a fraction are regularly used. Given the Moffat is open again with presumably hunners of free seats it seems to me a complete no-brainer that we'd try and encourage a generation of fans along.

Just now, Calzo96 said:

Remember Ayrshire is second behind Glasgow in Child Poverty. Not to mention nobody is going to pay £15 if they aren’t into football or support one of the old filth.

Absolutely. A wee guy who supports Rangers isn't going to pay even a fiver but might go along for something to do if he's got a free ticket. Maybe he coems from a Rangers family and his dad won't give him some dosh to go along to a game.

That might lead to him really enjoying it and coming back regular....then maybe even supporting his local team. Which could then lead to a lifetime of season ticket buying. Seems incredibly short-sighted thinking to say "well we're playing well, I've paid my money and so should they".

1 minute ago, Calzo96 said:

if people are only coming when its free then they are unlikely to pay for it when the time comes. a very small percentage may stay on. the club tells us they give away loads fo free tickets. in my mind the tickets should come at a cost, even if it is only £3 or £5 for someone under the age of 16. we need to put on stewards etc.

1 minute ago, aumgn said:

Absolutely. A wee guy who supports Rangers isn't going to pay even a fiver but might go along for something to do if he's got a free ticket. Maybe he coems from a Rangers family and his dad won't give him some dosh to go along to a game.

That might lead to him really enjoying it and coming back regular....then maybe even supporting his local team. Which could then lead to a lifetime of season ticket buying. Seems incredibly short-sighted thinking to say "well we're playing well, I've paid my money and so should they".

we guy who supports rangers isnt going to come in any event?

33 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

we have just had good season, i see no reason to give away tickets free. get a decent priced deal out there, people should pay to see us.

When I was a kid, we had a much bigger average support than we have just now.

We still handed out free tickets to encourage the next generation of fans. Plenty of kids have no allegiance to a team as their parents don't have one. Now is the time to get these kids hooked whilst the hype is there.

On a much smaller scale, I was at Hampden yesterday for the shortlees game and it was brilliant. About 10 coaches full there and Cunny from The Murray Bar had arranged for fundraising so that 100 kids/families from less fortunate families from Shortlees could get to Hampden and see them in a final. Was great to see and it felt like half of Shortlees were there as there must have been 700-800 in their end.

If an Amatuer side can manage that, then I see no reason why we can't.

5 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

I think you’d be surprised how many people who use to support other teams end up being long term season ticket holders at Kilmarnock. Gordon Sawers is one everybody will know about it. We are dominated in the West of Scotland with people being brought up as Celtic and Rangers fans. Sometimes when people have kids they don’t want to get them into the bigotry and end up taking them along to a local ground. I absolutely love nothing more than seeing that.

10 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

if people are only coming when its free then they are unlikely to pay for it when the time comes. a very small percentage may stay on. the club tells us they give away loads fo free tickets. in my mind the tickets should come at a cost, even if it is only £3 or £5 for someone under the age of 16. we need to put on stewards etc.

Stewards are there regardless.

It's literally a no lose situation for the club but you'd still charge for these tickets even though the stadium is 70% empty.

Bonkers.

14 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

I have a season ticket I got free that has been taken up by my son's best pal... he's a little hun but more than happy to switch allegiances because his father never took him to Ibrox. Plenty will be the same. That's a kid from Hamilton mind... not Ayrshire where there is many Killie fans

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It's literally a no lose situation for the club but you'd still charge for these tickets even though the stadium is 70% empty.

Bonkers.

if we gave away an extra 2,000 free tickets we would have to put on more stewards, as a result. all of this would cost the club.  

i am not sure free tickets to all kids is the answer, people rarely value free stuff.

The games I have been  at in recent seasons it has been noticeable how few under 16s are there. We need radical ideas to get young supporters hooked. I started in the 60's but there is no way I would have stopped being a fan even in the dark days of the old second division or now when I live hundreds of miles away. Back in the 60's most children didn't pay they were lifted over turnstiles. Let all under 16's in to the Moffatt for free.

10 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

if we gave away an extra 2,000 free tickets we would have to put on more stewards, as a result. all of this would cost the club.  

i am not sure free tickets to all kids is the answer, people rarely value free stuff.

You are one miserable bastard.

24 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

No it wouldn't. That's just a fairy tale invented in Michael Johnston's time when they were adverse to change and too bloody lazy to try and do something about attendances. If you are going to make rash statements like this then you should check your facts first. You don't know how many will attend, you can't legislate for the head count, you can only hire enough stewards to adequately man the number of stands open. Even that is open to interpretation and we could effectively employ our own stewards. Celtic do this, take unemployed fans and give them training, they then get into games free and it costs the football club less for security. We now have people in charge at the club that might see the benefit in training our own people and getting more youngsters into matches as well, if you could get it past MJ's clone. This was mentioned at the Killie Trust AGM a few years back but it never got past the planning stage due to you know who.

35 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

Bonkers.

It make sense to provide free tickets to parts of the population that otherwise would not go. Although this is particularly relevant to kids (students), as they can grow to become full paying, killie-mad adults, there are some financial and broader society benefits from having such schemes for unemployed and pensioners too. I find it hard to believe that the additional running costs of the business would be materially higher with the sort of numbers we realistically talking about. The only finAncial risk I see is around being able to control that the tickets end up being used by “parts of the population that otherwise would not go”. I’m not familiar with details around what percentage of our crowd are full paying season ticket holders but it can’t be more than 65-70%, probably less. Point is there is a significant number of our regular crowd that pay at gate. Kids, students, unemployed and pensioners amongst them. People that attend the sorts of clubs and other organisations through which the free tickets would be distributed. The loss of say 200 paying fans, who gain access to free tickets could be 3k a game. We may recoup some of this in additional food/drink sales or accept this is an investment for the future. I think it’s a risk worth taking to get more folk through the turnstiles. 

27 minutes ago, PrestersKtid said:

I believe we give out tickets to schools and boys club teams already. I think the issue is that next to noone actually went to the games in past few years.

If that's the case, then all we can do is keep doing it. I'm sure that if we can provide similar performances/results next season the kids/schools/clubs will start taking an interest again.