Supporters Clubs and buses

skygod

I recently dug out a programme for a match against Dumbarton in the Coca Cola (League) Cup in 1995.

The supporters club notes related to the forthcoming first league match of the season at Ibrox and I was struck by the number of clubs and also the number of buses going to the game. 

I shouldn't really have been because I was aware how active the clubs were back then.

Ardrossan & District
Ayrshire Districts
Black's Bar
Burn's
Dreghorn
Foxbar
Garnock Valley
Howard
Irvine Valley
Kadikoi
Kelly's Bar
KGB (Young Killie equivalent)
Killie Club
Killie Bar
Mason's Arms
Mauchline & District
New Farm No. 1
Portmann
Saltcoats
Shortlees
Springhill
Thack, Hurlford
Townholm
20/20
Travel Club
Woodgrove

Not all of them advertise a departure time for Ibrox but those who do suggests a total of at least twenty buses, including five from the Killie Club and two KGB.

I wonder how many of the clubs still exist and how many of the lapsed ones could be revived.

In fairness a few on that list joined the Supporters Association and fell away quite quickly, although they did make comebacks for Cup ties etc.

there were still a large number of buses running regularly, I don’t see that coming back tbh and we probably have a core of five or six “clubs” that will run extra buses to meet demand.

train and car have also taken a large number of fans to various games, the odd Mobile Caravan too has been known to be in attendance too, who knows? This could be the new way ahead, three hundred mobile caravans every Sat:2:urday 

4 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

In fairness a few on that list joined the Supporters Association and fell away quite quickly, although they did make comebacks for Cup ties etc.

there were still a large number of buses running regularly, I don’t see that coming back tbh and we probably have a core of five or six “clubs” that will run extra buses to meet demand.

train and car have also taken a large number of fans to various games, the odd Mobile Caravan too has been known to be in attendance too, who knows? This could be the new way ahead, three hundred mobile caravans every Sat:2:urday 

Aye, seems regular clubs just take extra buses now. For example, we had 120+ on the 20/20 buses for Aberdeen away. Killie Club and Travel Club also had multiple buses.

Killie Club and Travel Club do every game

Howard/Ardrossan do most.

20/20 does anything North of Glasgow, otherwise we just get the train as it's less hassle and we like a day out in Glasgow (plus the fact quite a few of us stay/work in Glasgow anyway).

Valley run a few a season.

Anything else like Kadi etc is just big games it seems.

Used to love coming out of away territory in a long line of buses after a win. Generally upsetting the locals on the way. Fun times. 

Not sure why buses have tailed off..............should be easier to operate given we now have mobile phones etc. 

Can only think more folk have newer "more reliable" cars these days. 

1 minute ago, red_dug said:

Used to love coming out of away territory in a long line of buses after a win. Generally upsetting the locals on the way. Fun times. 

Not sure why buses have tailed off..............should be easier to operate given we now have mobile phones etc. 

Trains are much better these days too and much more regular.

Our away support has picked up this season but still nowhere near what it once was.

9 minutes ago, red_dug said:

Cost quite a bit to run buses these days unless you have a healthy membership of your supporters club . I used to help run the Foxbar and we had two race nights a season just to break even.

The away support began to decline gradually in the mid to late 90's and it no longer became viable to run buses. The novelty factor playing in the top league and visiting the likes of Fir Park and Pittodrie twice a season had worn off for a lot of fans.

In some cases the bus conveners could no longer run the buses for work or family reasons etc and there was no one willing to take over.

Used to go Foxbar or Travel Club when I was a wee guy, never get a bus any more. I tend to go with a regular three folk and if we're doing something after it or heading up before it's just more convenient to get the train or take the motor. Particularly in the past few seasons I can imagine running buses has been a bit of a thankless task so respect to anyone going to the hassle to do it!

The away support began to decline gradually in the mid to late 90's and it no longer became viable to run buses. The novelty factor playing in the top league and visiting the likes of Fir Park and Pittodrie twice a season had worn off for a lot of fans.

In some cases the bus conveners could no longer run the buses for work or family reasons etc and there was no one willing to take over.

Ayr Killie Supporters bus stopped running shortly after Ian Thomson passed away & Tommy Adams moved up to Killie. Still see a lot of the guys home & away but most travel in cars.

Edited by harley

Used to go Foxbar or Travel Club when I was a wee guy, never get a bus any more. I tend to go with a regular three folk and if we're doing something after it or heading up before it's just more convenient to get the train or take the motor. Particularly in the past few seasons I can imagine running buses has been a bit of a thankless task so respect to anyone going to the hassle to do it!

It's worthwhile when 120 of you take over brechin at 11am en route to Aberdeen haha 

Did you mate so I must know you then