Jack Ross

Can I change my prediction for who will go straight back down (from the SPFL)?

Nope, you should have seen this move coming. They could always go for Hopkin which would also damage Livvy, but appointing a former Morton player might not go down too well with the St. Mirren support.

To Sunderland apparently 

I don't think he's actually gone yet, judging by the statement released by St Mirren at 6pm....

"St Mirren Football Club can confirm we received a formal approach from Sunderland AFC for permission to speak to our manager Jack Ross.

After agreeing to our terms we have reluctantly given them permission to speak to Jack about their vacant managers position"

Apparently Fow going as well, good move for him, hope they do well. 

I’m surprised Fow is going. Thought he’d have his eye on taking over from Ross when he left or another crack at management elsewhere. Mind you it’s a chance for a gig at a big club and he seems to enjoy being part of that management team.

Couldn't quite put my finger on why but Ive never been very struck on Ross.Always felt he was rather sleekit which has proven to be true. We know he has spoken to at least 4 clubs in recent months and certainly seems to put himself above the club he manages. Certainly such behaviour will not inspire loyalty from his players.

What chance does Scottish football have? And how greedy and short sighted are some managers, if Ross does go to Sunderland he will be under intense pressure straight away and possibly unemployed by October.

i was hoping he would stay and help our Premier league improve, sadly doesn’t appear to be a priority for some to help the youth of their own country develop their game.

so, the bad bit in me hopes Ross fails big time down there tbh

What chance does Scottish football have? And how greedy and short sighted are some managers, if Ross does go to Sunderland he will be under intense pressure straight away and possibly unemployed by October.

i was hoping he would stay and help our Premier league improve, sadly doesn’t appear to be a priority for some to help the youth of their own country develop their game.

He isn't a social worker, he could be out of a job just as quickly at St. Mirren and earning a lot less money in the meantime.

Agreed he will be on at least 5x his wages down there and if it goes pear-shaped then he will have a massive payout then still walk into a job up here. I wouldn’t say that’s a short term job. 

I think they will comfortably achieve promotion, the pressure will be the following season, however with what he had achieved at St Mirren I think he will be fairly confident in his own ability. 

But he'll be very rich and unemployed. As noted by Wrangodog above he could equally be unemployed in October from St Mirren but a lot poorer.

TBF he is much more likely to be unemployed if he makes the Sunderland move, in fact its probably very unlikely he will see out the season with them.

What chance does Scottish football have? Not a whole lot IMO. It's really all about money these days and there is none in Scotland unless you are Ceptic. Until folks decide to get off their arses in front of Sky / BT Sport and go and support their local team nothing will change. The rich will get richer and the poor will struggle to survive.

If he goes, it will possibly open up an opportunity for another up-and-coming manager.

And isn't a young Scottish manager getting a job at a big, albeit moribund, English club a compliment to the standard?

People have bemoaned for years that the best Scottish players and managers don't get a chance to improve in England. The signs are that is beginning to change, which would pump much needed money into the Scottish game.

It’s a great opportunity for him and he’s ambitious. He left Hearts for a crack at management. St Mirren was a bigger gig than he was in at Alloa so he moved on. He’s also been brave enough to knock them back if it didn’t feel right. 

Reminds me very much of Lee Johnson moving while his stock is high. 

No brainier for Ross. He’s said no before. But a giant of a club on its knees. No better situation for a young ambitious manager to inherit. I like him and bVk him to get Sunderland back in shape. I’m looking at the odds of a 2 in a row back to premiership. The next big Scottish manager...

£75,000 at st mirren £350, 000 at Sunderland if he lasts 6 months and if he gets binned say he is is on 3 year walks away nearly a million he wont be caring set up for life and likeley get a job here championship club