Philip Kerr

carpetfitter

I think Prague Fatale is one of the weakest if not the weakest. Read like a contractual obligationGreeks Bearing Gifts has an excellent plot, tremendous historical and political context, is very funny and sad at the same time for it seems he’s aware his end is nigh. The final Gunther is out next year and will no doubt will see Bernie’s redemption. I’m speculating that this will be achieved at the expense of BG.

Can’t believe Philip Kerr is no longer with us.

I read mibbe first 4? He was in South America the last I read. Always enjoyed them and I'm sure I've got Prague Fatale on my Kindle just never got round to reading it. 

Author is from Edinburgh I believe

Yes, you are right. At least he was born in Edinburgh but he moved down south at a young age. An influential aspect of his intellectual development seems to have come from a rejection of religion. His family were Wee Frees IIRC but then converted to a Baptist sect. 

Very sadly, he died earlier this year aged only 61.

He has left a manuscript of the final Bernie Gunther which is due to be published next year. I was fortunate I suppose in that I read the first one first. The first three BGs are collected in the Berlin Noir trilogy. The character grows from a Philip Marlowe type into the fully fledged world weary philosophical and conflicted individual he became. 

• 1 month later...

I read March Violets while on holiday this year (selected a number of books based on the ‘reviews’ on this site). Thoroughly enjoyed it! (I felt there was a slight  weakness in one aspect of the plot, but nothing major - I don’t want to spoil it on anyone so I’ll say no more). Thanks.

Interestingly, Gunther’s “cover story “  for his involvement in the Six case is actually what I do for a living.

Edited by CSI Kilmarnock