RP "one of three worst pitches"

skygod

And I think he did - David (?) Roxburgh, was it?

That’s probably when the rot set in. 

Souness/ Rangers RIP definitely got their man, but I don't remember the name.

With no sheep, no wee red tractor, and Gus Hollas and his shady connections into the global sand supply industry things then went steadily downhill.

I'm pretty sure we also won on the artificial surface at Annfield, @carpetfitter, and played very well. Jim Fleeting was managing us by then. I think we won 3-0, if I remember correctly.

I played on that surface once when I lived in Stirling. It was like playing on concrete.

We won 1-0 on the plastic. Peter Curran scored in first minute and we endured a siege for the remaining 89. It was on a beautifiul sunny early spring day. Possibly 1989 or 1990

From the BBC:

Les Gray, the Hamilton vice-chairman, has branded opponents of artificial pitches "dinosaurs" after the 3G surface at the Superseal Stadium was voted the worst in the country.

The old head in the sand approach clearly. People don't like playing on plastic, it doesn't matter how much abuse you fire at them it wont change their minds.

From the BBC:

Les Gray, the Hamilton vice-chairman, has branded opponents of artificial pitches "dinosaurs" after the 3G surface at the Superseal Stadium was voted the worst in the country.

The old head in the sand approach clearly. People don't like playing on plastic, it doesn't matter how much abuse you fire at them it wont change their minds.

He should have stuck to the old Tiger Feet

And spending £750k on it!!! Ah well that guarantees us worst surface in next summers survey results. One more season then fingers crossed a return to grass, hybrid seems prohibitively expensive. 

Hearts are spending nearly £1m on a hybrid pitch, so for £250,000 more Hamilton could do the same thing. I know which one I would rather have. Maybe the maintenance costs are far greater for hybrid.

Or the cost of training all their teams elsewhere is - Hertz have their own training base so not a consideration for them. 

“We average 54 games a season here on our Desso GrassMaster pitch, plus training sessions, (...) corporate events and music concerts. (...) Our Desso GrassMaster pitch handles it perfectly.”
Dan Duffy, Head Groundsman Liberty Stadium and IOG Groundsman of the Year

“We average 54 games a season here on our Desso GrassMaster pitch, plus training sessions, (...) corporate events and music concerts. (...) Our Desso GrassMaster pitch handles it perfectly.”
Dan Duffy, Head Groundsman Liberty Stadium and IOG Groundsman of the Year

Swansea City don't train at the stadium. 

They don't train there either. 

I think he was referring to open training sessions, of which there might have been one or two. 

I am quoting what the groundsman said, presumably you have first hand information on how many training sessions take place.

I‘ve seen Swansea play two home games against Spurs and Liverpool when the rain was sheeting down with an Ospreys game sandwiched in between when it was also pouring and I was astonished how good the pitch was at Swansea's next home game. 

I am quoting what the groundsman said, presumably you have first hand information on how many training sessions take place.

I‘ve seen Swansea play two home games against Spurs and Liverpool when the rain was sheeting down with an Ospreys game sandwiched in between when it was also pouring and I was astonished how good the pitch was at Swansea's next home game. 

I am not saying it is bad, and hosting both football and rugby without problems over a season is impressive but it is nowhere near the usage that Killie and Hamilton are getting from their artificial pitches. 

I am not saying it is bad, and hosting both football and rugby without problems over a season is impressive but it is nowhere near the usage that Killie and Hamilton are getting from their artificial pitches. 

Sadly, you are probably right. I‘ll just need to win the lottery.

They also get significantly more days and hours of sunshine in South Wales than the West of Scotland, but its good to see how durable hybrid surfaces are. 

But how durable are they?  How often does the million pound hybrid mat surface the grass grows through need replaced, like any artificial surface does after use?  The upkeep on a hybrid pitch could be well beyond what a club our size could afford and a big drain on resources if you got relegated. I'm surprised Hearts can afford to pay for it.  Is the best surface available but arguably a complete waste of money for a club our size.   You could spend the million quid better elsewhere.

But how durable are they?  How often does the million pound hybrid mat surface the grass grows through need replaced, like any artificial surface does after use?  The upkeep on a hybrid pitch could be well beyond what a club our size could afford and a big drain on resources if you got relegated. I'm surprised Hearts can afford to pay for it.  Is the best surface available but arguably a complete waste of money for a club our size.   You could spend the million quid better elsewhere.

Jambos bottom six next season - s**te team (look who they’re signing) on a great playing surface.

Jambos bottom six next season - s**te team (look who they’re signing) on a great playing surface.

Hearts don't concede enough goals to be a bottom 6 team.  Also formidable at home - usually!  Not saying they'll do much better than mid table but they do have a few cracking young players and a decent defence, maybe the best defence outside Celtic. I reckon Aberdeen for the bottom 6.  Too many players on loan are now gone.  They've weakest squad out top 6 at present now seasons over.

The Jambos have quality players at the back and up front.  If we hypothetically resigned Mulumbu then added Lafferty and Berra, we'd challenge for the title IMO.

Edited by RAG

Was this summer programme at RP last year ?

Looking forward to a football-filled summer? Then come and join in the fun at our KCST Summer Camp at Ayrshire College's Kilmarnock Campus.

At our six-week camp, children from 5-12 years old will enjoy an array of sessions focusing on football knowledge, performance and the development of their skill set.

We are offering an all-inclusive camp, which provides professional coaching in addition to themed games, events and tournaments.

Your child can develop key skills such as teamwork, leadership and problem solving as well as improving their technical and tactical skills in a friendly environment. 

Most importantly they'll have fun in the process. 

Please contact Grant Moore on [email protected] or 07813 761597 for more information 

Timings 

Full Day: 9am-3pm, Half Day (AM): 9-11.30am, Half Day (PM): 12.30-3pm, Lunch: 11.30am-12.30pm

Rates 

Full Day: £15, Half Day: £7.50, Full Week: £65

Dates (Mon-Fri)

July 2-6, 9-13, 16-20, 23-27  
July 30-Aug 3, Aug 6-10

Ayrshire College Kilmarnock Campus, KA1 3HY 

Sessions will take place on Astro Turf and indoor facilities depending on weather so please bring suitable footwear and clothing for both. 

Please note your child should bring a packed lunch if they are attending a full day session while plenty of water is recommended for all in attendance. Early drop offs can be accommodated as long as we have prior notice.