JJ Sunderland Speculation (Multi-merged topics)

Thebigguy68

I've thought since before Xmas that he would be going Norwich's way to replace Maddison.  If that works out and Norwich have cash to spare and an intent to get Jones we might get a wee bidding war.  These southern diddies love nothing better than out-bidding each other so we may be lucky on this one.  Probably depends on the competency of his agent to talk up and get the best deal possible also.

Maddison will probably move on - and for north of £20m - but he and Jones are not comparable types of player. 

While we might like to imagine "a bidding war" between clubs pushing up the transfer fee, in practice the player will choose the club he wants to go to.

Maddison will probably move on - and for north of £20m - but he and Jones are not comparable types of player. 

While we might like to imagine "a bidding war" between clubs pushing up the transfer fee, in practice the player will choose the club he wants to go to.

They are not at all comparable, but not all replacements are replicants of the former.  I think often when an English club lose an important player they look for a bit of "box office" to replace that.  Jones highlight reel would more than meet that requirement.

I'm also not talking about a bidding war we would associate with thd big crazy English fees, but if we have three clubs with cash chasing Jones we might end up with a couple hundred K more than we otherwise would have.  I'm trying to look at the brightside on this one as I really don't want to lose Jones.

Do we really think he's worth more than Naismith was?

He is a tremendously exciting player but too often fails to create something and we need to take that into account .... £1.5m would be amazing but would be happy with £1m.

Different times,  let’s face it if Naismith was 20 and here today we’d be looking for 4 or 5 million.

The Scottish game is a very cheap market in which to shop and the English clubs all take advantage of this. If there are a few clubs bidding that will hopefully help push the price up but it's looking more and more likely that Jones will be off in the summer. He will be hard to replace. 

The Scottish game is a very cheap market in which to shop and the English clubs all take advantage of this. If there are a few clubs bidding that will hopefully help push the price up but it's looking more and more likely that Jones will be off in the summer. He will be hard to replace. 

English clubs use Scotland as a cheap market hence why Jack ross now at Sunderland is after Morgan(loan), Maggenis (StMirren), JJ and Jason Naismith(County) he obviously knows he could get these players for pennies compared to the millions of a english based player 

Naismith's a free agent, isn't he?

Apparently not, but it's ambiguous to me:

"Naismith was not offered the renegotiated terms that would have triggered the option of walking away for free – a decision Thomas Mikkelsen, Craig Curran and Chris Routis all took."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/aberdeen-target-jason-naismith-also-12608736

I speculated last week ( in ktid) that Ross would move for jones. Big club. Ambition. Right part of world. Ross will have followed and great value relative to England. He’ll be tracking mulumbu too. Folks said he boro fan but doubt that material in final analysis. Same as old. He worth 1.2 million but need to actively find another replacement between now and next window close so we in best negotiating position. I’ll be gutted as he one of most exciting players I seen in killie shirt. But let’s not get caught out.

I speculated last week ( in ktid) that Ross would move for jones. Big club. Ambition. Right part of world. Ross will have followed and great value relative to England. He’ll be tracking mulumbu too. Folks said he boro fan but doubt that material in final analysis. Same as old. He worth 1.2 million but need to actively find another replacement between now and next window close so we in best negotiating position. I’ll be gutted as he one of most exciting players I seen in killie shirt. But let’s not get caught out.

Is that you, Youssouf ?????

Edited by C4mmy31

Are the folk suggesting we keep him for all or part of next season forgetting the dip in form (which to his credit he acknowledged) when there was speculation in January?

Agree we need to hold out for every penny we can get but if JJ won't sign an extension and wants to go it would be crazy to keep him until his contract runs out.

Been saying it for a long time. Scottish sides need to move with the market and stop underselling just because we're told it's not as good as English football. Sunderland are currently shipping out guys who are on big contracts and look like their about to cash in to the tune of £12-£13M on a couple of transfers. If there are also sides in the Championship interested then we should be realistically looking for at the very least £1M.

@Brianstorm has it right. Sick of giving away players for next to nothing. Most likely scenario is he will go on a free at the end of next season though.

If we get offered £1m he'll be away.

We cannot afford to knock back that kind of money when he can sign for a team for nowt in January.

To put that figure into perspective, it's more than we make from season tickets, even this season with the upturn in sales.

Been saying it for a long time. Scottish sides need to move with the market and stop underselling just because we're told it's not as good as English football. Sunderland are currently shipping out guys who are on big contracts and look like their about to cash in to the tune of £12-£13M on a couple of transfers. If there are also sides in the Championship interested then we should be realistically looking for at the very least £1M.

Sunderland get 41 million as an EPL parachute payment this summer, had their debts written off too.   JJ isn't a Scottish player, is from the North East, so would be less of a risk than signing most other SPFL players - which Sunderland have the cash to do.

A million quid would be a good deal for all concerned.  Early on in the window, so SC can spend some of it!

I’m not sure SSC will see much if any of the cash were it to come. When you saw what the club were able to do with the Coulibaly money a million quid would be fantastic for our future. 

Time is against us now with JJ. Unless he signs a new contract I think he’ll be away this summer

If we get £1mil I'd sell, great player and as exciting when on his game as it gets, suffers from dips in form now & then like any young player, especially a winger but we need to cash in now rather than lose for free later.

The bigger picture is with another season under Sir he would improve much more than going to Sunderland in league 1 or whatever hell hole league they are in.

I'd trust Sir Stevie to have plenty of options to fill the void and would wish Jones all the best should he leave

Definitely would like JJ to stay with us but realistically if a decent offer comes in for him and not some of the top end figures being banded about (although I hope we get as much as we can) then it will be very difficult for the club to refuse and of course as has been said the boy does also come from the north east  so maybe he will want to go back home!