JJ Sunderland Speculation (Multi-merged topics)

Thebigguy68

I'd say we'd miss Taylor and SOD more if they were out the side.

He's a great player though and I hope he stays but I'd be surprised if he's here come August.

I agree with you to be fair. I think Taylor and SOD are brilliant players. I think we are a much worse team with all 3 players out the side so hopefully all 3 stay!

They are not at all comparable, but not all replacements are replicants of the former.  I think often when an English club lose an important player they look for a bit of "box office" to replace that.  Jones highlight reel would more than meet that requirement. 

Josh Murphy, for whom Jones would represent a direct replacement, has left Norwich for Cardiff (in return for a ludicrous £11m).

I'd bite the dick off any chairman willing to give a million for him -- a decent player at best

Better make sure you’re false teeth are secure....He’s the best “decent” player that I’ve seen in a killie shirt in a long time....pace is valued in the modern game and under sc he’s added tactical nouse...a bigger club will snap him up...but for more than a million

Not necessarily our best player, in terms of consistent week by week performances, but certainly the most likely of our current squad to be able to play at a higher level. 

That said, I think that anything over £500,000 (plus add ons) and the board will consider it. 

Obviously some see the lad as having no value on the park....never mind cost of replacing him, if he helps gain higher league position, longer runs in the cup competitions brings in increased sponsorship and puts more bums on seats he can go for nothing next summer rather than some of the paltry sums mentioned on here....why not sell O'Donnell and Taylor as well for another £500K each or is that too much for Killie players...yes lets have a herd of cows with no prize bulls to service them...great business move...MJ mentality has seeped on to the terracing methinks...rant over...

When has playing in League One been an impediment to selection for Northern Ireland? 

Will Grigg and Josh Magennis were playing in League One last season. 

I agree that it would not exactly be a step up but it wouldn’t harm his international prospects if he was doing well. 

Its not really as simple as that tho is it Higgy? They got relegated ahead of teams that they had far more season ticket holder's than. 

Never said it was, however they were an absolute shambles of a club last season and now seem to have a clean slate.

No debt, new chairman, new manager, sleeping fanbase....remind you of anyone?

Read an article yesterday about how he has the potential to be the best player in league1.  Then valued him at 600k. 

They probably plucked that figure from this forum.

On Twitter there seems to be more Norwich fans mentioning signing Jones than Sunderland.

When has playing in League One been an impediment to selection for Northern Ireland? 

Will Grigg and Josh Magennis were playing in League One last season. 

I agree that it would not exactly be a step up but it wouldn’t harm his international prospects if he was doing well. 

Moving from Killie to Sunderland is a massive step up regardless of which division they're in. 

They've sold more than six times as many season tickets than we have and the average wage will be much higher. 

I can also see the appeal for someone who is originally from that part of England. 

Obviously some see the lad as having no value on the park....never mind cost of replacing him, if he helps gain higher league position, longer runs in the cup competitions brings in increased sponsorship and puts more bums on seats he can go for nothing next summer rather than some of the paltry sums mentioned on here....why not sell O'Donnell and Taylor as well for another £500K each or is that too much for Killie players...yes lets have a herd of cows with no prize bulls to service them...great business move...MJ mentality has seeped on to the terracing methinks...rant over...

How much do you think that the transfer fee for Jones will be?

If you think a higher league position and a cup run (which aren't guaranteed) are worth £1m then I think you should do some more research.

Also, none of the players you have mentioned have less than a year left on their contracts, in fact Taylor has signed a new one which increased his value. Jones hasn't and therefore his value is going down.

It's really not that hard to understand. It's nothing to do with having a MJ mentality - do you think he's worth £3m like some of the nonsense on here?

The paltry sum of £1m is more than our ENTIRE season ticket sales for a year...I take It you see that as paltry too? In fact, it's higher than 4 games against the old filth in ticket sales, so god knows how many bums on seats JJ would need to add to justify turning down a fee of £1m.

Some folk need to stop playing football manager and get in the real world.

We'd all love JJ to stay but the very fact he hasn't signed a new deal, can sign for nothing in January and has let his contract run down makes me think he won't be staying. That's his choice, not ours.

I’d be looking to cash in. He’s a really explosive player and very exciting but he might not reach the same heights again this season coming, therefore I’d sell while stock is high.

Also if he is unwilling to sign a contract extension which I am pretty certain we will have tried to offer him then he has to go now and we can invest his transfer fee wisely. 

They probably plucked that figure from this forum.

Unlikely to be from this forum since it only appears here through being repeatedly quoted in print and electronic media. 

Which is why I speculated earlier in the thread about the origin of the figure. Plucked out of thin air? Or leaked by the player’s agent after discussions with the club? 

The latter is more likely but I hope it’s not the source.