2018 World Cup

Hopefully be some decent games  and goals a plenty

A lot of pundits were backing Spain (prior to losing their Manager) , or likes of the usual candidates Germany and Brazil ......most of the top teams "should" come through the group stages to set up on paper at least closer games in the knock out stages 

Got Argentina in office sweep --- last chance for Messi but not sure they have the all round team to supplement his talents through to the final ...could see likes Belgium go far if they "click" this time .............but opted for bet on France and also an outsider

I reckon Germany or England.  Harry Kane will score a few so England have a chance but a European team will win it, probably playing a high press and without the verve you associate with previous World Cup wining teams!  No Italy, Dutch, Spain in disarray, big chance for the French English and Germans maybe even Poland, you might find they play out their skins in Russia. Poland like England aren't great, but do have a goalscorer.  I reckon Mexico could go on a wee run to perhaps the quarters, looked a decent outfit.  Don't think the South America teams will do much in the knock out phases, but a lot of Brazil players have played in Russia, which may be to their advantage.  That said, you'd like to see Ronaldo and Messi light it up.

Presumably VAR not switched on for the home nation, a Russian player looked offside before the fourth goal but no referral.  ITV commentary as good as ever, talking about Russian fans growing moustaches in support of their head coach, "Stalin, now that was a real 'tache".  Aye, I am sure that was what his countrymen were thinking as they were carted off to the gulags.

France to beat Germany in the final, Spain circle the wagons, Hierro replaces Costa with a more mobile “Spanish style forward” in starting XI and reach semis. England lose to Poland in last 16 (hopefully on pens)! Russia don’t get out their group. 

Hierro is probably very glad he stuck with Costa. I've bet on France but Spain were very impressive tonight, looking more like the team that won tournaments in the past.

Its been a good start to the tournament and some more interesting games over the weekend. 

Great game tonight. Really impressed with Spain but Ronaldo finally showed up at a World Cup. After watching that got a feeling Isco could end up being player of the tournament. The British(English) media can’t understand how he plays ahead of Bale for Madrid but he delivers at such a high level consistently. 

Bore-tugal worked hard off the ball. Luckily for them Ronaldo had both his diving and his shooting boots on. For me neither the pen nor the freekick involved any contact whatsoever on the great one but he plays to different rules I guess.

Spain looked brilliant at times some of the speed and accuracy of their passing was breathtaking. Their first and third goals were brilliant as was the petulant preening prick’s free kick. 

After tonight, you could see either team winning it.

Spain couldn't cope with Ronaldo, remains  to be seen if anyone else can.

Although having lost their manager and an early goal, the Spanish came right back into it - cant write them off.

As with the Euro's and last few Champions Leagues - it  could be Ronaldo's tournament - although he's 33 and the 2 centre half are 34 and 35 - so might count against em should it go to extra time.

Time for Messi to step up - whens Argentina on?!

After tonight, you could see either team winning it.

Spain couldn't cope with Ronaldo, remains  to be seen if anyone else can.

Although having lost their manager and an early goal, the Spanish came right back into it - cant write them off.

As with the Euro's and last few Champions Leagues - it  could be Ronaldo's tournament - although he's 33 and the 2 centre half are 34 and 35 - so might count against em should it go to extra time.

Time for Messi to step up - whens Argentina on?!

Argentina vs Iceland today at 1400.

Bore-tugal worked hard off the ball. Luckily for them Ronaldo had both his diving and his shooting boots on. For me neither the pen nor the freekick involved any contact whatsoever on the great one but he plays to different rules I guess.

Spain looked brilliant at times some of the speed and accuracy of their passing was breathtaking. Their first and third goals were brilliant as was the petulant preening prick’s free kick. 

Can’t be argued that the Portuguese rival Scotland and the Irish teams when it comes to the ability to persuade even the hardest neutral it’s time to leave the couch and tidy the garden shed/ refile the record collection /jump of a cliff but surely it’s still too soon to embrace Spain. Most boring team to win a World Cup? Media darlings Spain 2010. Knock out stages 4 1-0s. 3 goals in normal time. I fear that last night was a freak and normal tippy tappy service will be resumed shortly. Pundits will love it while the rest of us may have to make do with reruns of Spain 1 Holland 5 on YouTube .

Edited by Radio Doctor
Typing

Can’t be argued that the Portuguese rival Scotland and the Irish teams when it comes to the ability to persuade even the hardest neutral it’s time to leave the couch and tidy the garden shed/ refile the record collection /jump of a cliff but surely it’s still too soon to embrace Spain. Most boring team to win a World Cup? Media darlings Spain 2010. Knock out stages 4 1-0s. 3 goals in normal time. I fear that last night was a freak and normal tippy tappy service will be resumed shortly. Pundits will love it while the rest of us may have to make do with reruns of Spain 1 Holland 5 on YouTube .

1-0 is enough if the other team can't get the ball off you. 

Iceland are the Hamilton Accies of international football. 

s**te to watch. 

I don't agree. They don't just park the bus, they play to their strengths, are well organised and hard working,  are direct and create chances. Didn't look overrawed or out of place against one of the favourites for the tournament.