2018 World Cup

10 hours ago, piffer said:

BBC news hinted there may be a FIFA investigation into the way the Swiss players celebrated their goals tonight. Mentioned hands signals symbolising the Albanian eagle by players with Albanian roots.

I guess if the other country had exterminated or tried to exterminate my family less than 30 years ago I might consider a few ‘hand signals’ at minimum. When is this PC dross going to stop?

it was a great game of football to played in surprisingly good spirit. Serbia were denied a stonewall penalty that they are right to feel aggrieved about and both teams were trying to win. Wee Shaqiri was brilliant as he always seems to be when I see him. Can the powers that be not leave it at that?

10 hours ago, piffer said:

BBC news hinted there may be a FIFA investigation into the way the Swiss players celebrated their goals tonight. Mentioned hands signals symbolising the Albanian eagle by players with Albanian roots.

Are both Xhaka brothers not actually Kosovan who feels to Albania and then onto Switzerland?

if all he does is show some hand signals after the attempted genocide then he should get a f**kn medal not punished.

3 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

So do we still celebrate against Germany because of the world war? 

Certain people certainly do. 2 world wars, and one world cup, is the chant I believe. True, that's the fans, not the players. But they do seem to take delight in not liking them.

Minutes away from virtually going out of tournament and the huge backlash from media and thier fans and Germany turn it around..... They still look open at the back and lacking the all round strength unlike previous German teams , Sweden should have attacked more when Germany went down to 10 men

17 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

Minutes away from virtually going out of tournament and the huge backlash from media and thier fans and Germany turn it around..... They still look open at the back and lacking the all round strength unlike previous German teams , Sweden should have attacked more when Germany went down to 10 men

Possibly the best thing for their tournament was Boateng getting a red card. He’s looked a liability from the start

7 hours ago, Scouser2 said:

Guidetti should have kept the ball instead of that woeful shot and they would have won. 

1 hour ago, Brianstorm said:

England will win the World Cup 

There are many possible global catastrophes to be lived in fear of. There's global warming or nuclear war in the Middle East, and Engerland winning the World Cup really has to be right up there.

They really are the most insufferable, patronising, "entitled" nation on the planet at the best of times, but think of the in your face 24 hour gloating we would be subjected to if the unthinkable were to happen.  

Fortunately I think the risk of that catastrophe is so vanishingly small that we can all rest easy. 

Edited by gdevoy

1 hour ago, historyman said:

I doubt that very much. There are several better teams than them in the tournament. 

Aye but Ronaldo aside, is there a better penalty box player than Harry Kane?

Feed the goat - as they say!

Enagland's home record, fact they have won at youth level at multiple age groups and physical nature of squad suggests they're in with a v good shout.

South American teams are nowhere, Germans poor, Italians and Dutch not even there.

Semis minimum for England from what I've seen - although I may revise that to quarters given I've not looked at the draw.

If either Mexico or England get to the semis or beyond - Scotland may not look so bad - despite not even being there?!

Belgians are obviously best side, but think Brazil 82 and Italy wining it - again not best side but had most physical team and best player in the box.  Roanldo is clearly the worlds best player, but Portugals centre halves are 34 and 35 - CR is 33.  England players are a decade younger.

Edited by RAG

Belgium will be England’s first big test. At the same time England will be Belgiums. At this stage although performance and momentum are good simply getting out the group is more important. I guess we’ll see what they are made of with the opposition posing a real attacking threat. 

Teams can play with a bit of freedom at the moment. Knockout football brings different pressures. This England team don’t have a lot of experience of winning big knockout ties in the big tournaments be it World Cup, Euros, Champions League. 

They should be looking at Quarters at least just now. One of Columbia, Poland, Japan or Senegal awaiting them shouldn’t pose to big a threat based on what I’ve seen so far. 

Just now, stewarty66 said:

So they have a decades less experience in major tournaments.

Arguably they all play at a high level in the best league in World - England chose nobody on a downward career spiral.  Is no question is more strength and depth in English league than others in world outwith your Barcelona PSG REal Madrid Bayern, your 4 or 5 Italian teams etc.

This is different to a decade ago - how many top quality players at this WC you never heard of?  Very very few, cos of English leagues strength.

4 minutes ago, RAG said:

Arguably they all play at a high level in the best league in World - England chose nobody on a downward career spiral.  Is no question is more strength and depth in English league than others in world outwith your Barcelona PSG REal Madrid Bayern, your 4 or 5 Italian teams etc.

This is different to a decade ago - how many top quality players at this WC you never heard of?  Very very few, cos of English leagues strength.

I haven’t heard of half the England team and think I would recognise about 4 TBH

Just now, Caldow said:

I haven’t heard of half the England team and think I would recognise about 4 TBH

All big all natural athletes - probably why Strachan was moaning about the Scots lack of genetics in qualifying.

If England win it, is a glass half full situation for Scotland, If Stuart Armstrong had booted it into the stand Kane would never have got equaliser - but Kane will get a record total in goals at this WC I suspect.  No shame in that..

Just now, Zorro said:

Spain are still the pick of the bunch. So many experienced players, playing regularly in the best league in the world. England will find it difficult to score from corners against them, when the game is never out of their own half. 

They'll no be playing the 5-10 yard futsal v England they got away with against Portugal.

I've analysed the Spanish team;  although Pique and Ramos are world beaters Spurs and Harry Kane still beat Real Madrid twice this season.

And that De Gea is as suspect as Jamie McDonald -you of all people should knows it?! haha

Diego Costa needs to step up here