2018 World Cup

Just watched ITV news and they’ve basically got them in the semi finals. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this reaction to an England defeat. Completely understandable they won’t be disappointed with it but I’d have hoped it would be playing down a bit rather than bordering on celebrations.

Bit risky writing off there next opponents. Colombia have some cracking players and in the quarter finals potential opponents would deserve to be there as much as England if they made it. 

some Interesting games to come in the knock-out stages and the tournament is wide open if any team can put a bit of form together 

England certainly seem to be in the easiest half of the draw but they will find it tough against Colombia - this will be the first time they have played anyone who have done strength in attack. I think Colombia will beat them. 

55 minutes ago, historyman said:

some Interesting games to come in the knock-out stages and the tournament is wide open if any team can put a bit of form together 

England certainly seem to be in the easiest half of the draw but they will find it tough against Colombia - this will be the first time they have played anyone who have done strength in attack. I think Colombia will beat them. 

Couldn't really judge Colombia against Japan since they had a man sent off after three minutes. Against Poland they were magnificent but Poland were poor. Today they offered next to nothing in attack, scoring from a corner and James Rodriguez went off injured. Unless England are really sloppy in midfield they should win.

9 hours ago, piffer said:

Bit risky writing off there next opponents. Colombia have some cracking players and in the quarter finals potential opponents would deserve to be there as much as England if they made it. 

They've beaten Colombia once before in the competition so its hardly worth the time holding the tie is it?     :)

Seriously though, the pundits working out who they will play in the round after the next one is what sets me off. Nobody gets this far without being decent. its 90 minutes of football during which anything could happen. Engerland could be down to 10 men after 3 minutes.

We'll see.

On 6/28/2018 at 9:23 AM, gdevoy said:

Apparently Mundell has declared the Cross of St George will fly from Scottish Office buildings when Engerland are playing.

I had successfully cultivated a sense of indifference but I once again I really, really, fervently hope they get as many real total humiliating gubbings as possible. 

I am abroad on a golfing trip so can’t be arsed to read the thread due to lack of time. Only responding to a notification. My love of Scotland and all things Scottish is not predicated on a hate of England or all things English. I see no correlation between the two. 

Do I want them, in the unlikely event they do, win the World Cup, no. But would it upset me, no! (Just the same for the welsh/northern Irish/irish).

i just day not get the hatred. Obvious or inferred.

lets be like Vera not fighters.

When they get put out they’ll have the usual discussion as to why. They’ll all agree it’s because there’s too many foreign players in the premiership. Then within a fortnight they’ll be gushing over how “the best league in the world” is about to start. Always the same.

6 hours ago, Caldow said:

When they get put out they’ll have the usual discussion as to why. They’ll all agree it’s because there’s too many foreign players in the premiership. Then within a fortnight they’ll be gushing over how “the best league in the world” is about to start. Always the same.

I think the view will be that they met the low expectations which everyone had pre-tournament and that Southgate has done a good job with the makings of a good squad for two and four years time.

This isn't a "golden generation" squad but one with very little international experience at all. Three keepers with nine caps amongst them; nobody with more than Cahill's 58 caps and he isn't a starter; breakthroughs for Alexander-Arnold, Loftus-Cheek, Maguire and Trippier; tournament experience for the likes of Rashford and Lingard.

For the first time, with England world champions at U17and U20 levels, there is a genuine sense that clubs are producing home-grown talent to complement the overseas stars, although there are still too many foreign players in the top two divisions.

I'll be very surprised if there is backlash when they go out and the further they go, the less likely it is.

Spain were really poor. Thought they'd kick on after the first game but they’ve gone backwards. Really lacked any form of intensity. Sacking the manager before the tournament was crazy. Yes he and Madrid were wrong in how they handled things but the FA pissed all the prep against the wall and appointed a poor option

Croatia have looked good so far. They have outstanding quality in the middle of the park. 

Do Russia become a serious contender now? Came into the tournament as nothing but built momentum and now have amazing backing from the home fans as well.

I think that marks the end of what many of us thought was an unfortunate era namely the Spanish and their possession football. Maybe they believed all the experts banging on about purist football when all the true fans were screaming at the tv “would it kill you to hit a forward pass”. Turns out they were playing billiards when everyone else is playing snooker.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, Zorro said:

Spain are still the pick of the bunch. So many experienced players, playing regularly in the best league in the world. England will find it difficult to score from corners against them, when the game is never out of their own half. 

Alas, we'll never find out now!

Can anybody get in the Spanish walking football team ? Felt sorry for Isco, the only Spaniard trying to play with pace until Rodrigo came on, but he should have taken a penalty instead of Koke.

Football without pace and goalmouth incidents is a bloody boring spectator sport.